Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dips & Tricks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Dips & Tricks Reply with quote

Hey guys! Got a question: What (salsa) move is considered as a dip and what move is considered as a lift?

My partner and I are starting to work on choreography for the final round of this year's TDS salsa competition (in case we advance), and the choreography may need adjustments depending on the answer to the above question.

Let me know if you can help! Smile
Tracie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winnie! In purely technical terms a lift is considered when one partner's feet both leave the ground with the assistance of their dance partner (i.e, jumping off the ground during a shine or a cross body lead pattern would not be considered a lift) and the move could not be executed without being led (i.e., the person whose feet leave the ground wouldn't be able to execute the move without their partner's assistance).

A move can be considered a dip when a portion or all of the lady's upper body goes below her partner's shoulder level with the assistance of her dance partner (i.e., she would not be able to hold the move or execute it without the assistance of her dance partner). The lady's feet can be on or off the ground.

What happens when there is move that doesn't fit neatly into either definition or it fits kind of into both definitions? Chances are you could call that a "trick". Smile

Competition time draws close....everyone in the TDS family is super psyched to see all of the competition couples in action on Sunday!
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Dips - Tricks - Lifts - drops Reply with quote

Competition rules have to be read very very carefully. That is why you see a number of moves that could be called 'lifts' being done with one foot on the floor to get around the no lift rule.

Don't forget about drops, where the leader lowers his partner horizontally almost to the floor. Usually, the arms are used, but in some cases, the neck is used for spectacular effects. The follower needs strong abs, shoulders and arms to execute safely. The leader needs shoulder, arm, ab and back strength to support the follower.

If you still want to use portions of a dip pattern without calling it a dip, set the dip up, but instead of executing the dip, 'freeze' the set-up part of the position for the number of beats the dip itself would take.

If done with a little imagination, the couple's lines should be very pleasing, a point or two should come for musicality and showmanship.

All of these techniques require a lot of practice and absolute trust between the leader and the follower.

I'm running a dips and tricks workshop Noon Sunday 17 May at Lula Lounge. SalsaTO.ca for full details. Meanwhile. take a peek at a recent performance showcasing various lifts, tricks and drops. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5kyocBMGdA

Good luck and have fun. Remember to practice, practice and practice some more...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: