Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Babalu'u's Aquarian Birthday Bash for Giovanni and Jennifer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Babalu'u's Aquarian Birthday Bash for Giovanni and Jennifer Reply with quote

A brief line in the salsa news: come join us at Babalu'u this Wednesday, January 28th: Jennifer and Giovanni celebrate their Aquarian birthdays!

For those still unitiated: Giovanni, a.k.a. notorious DJ Gio whose mixes work better than CPR, salsa instructor, organizer and performer of Los Salsomanos. Jennifer Aucoin, head of Steps Dance Studio, salsa instructor, one of the organizers of the Canadian Salsa Congress in Toronto, and both are a treat to watch on a dance floor (besides, where else would you see them dancing together?).

At 10:30 the place was almost empty - only the most intrepid souls braved the elements (winter tires look definitely attractive in such times). By 11 p.m. other salsa addicts started pulling in, apparently, when the unbearable craving made even the peak-season raging snow look tame and placid in comparison.

Gradually, waiters removed the middle row of tables to clear more of the dance floor, and around midnight, when it was packed all through, the party started.

Several prior announcements built up anticipation in the warmed up crowd, even in those who were sipping drinks and not igniting the dance floor. Birthday dance followed shortly (after one near-false-start), and even lasted for more than one song. A tight circle of hypnotized onlookers tore itself open from time to time only to let the brave souls have some salsa fun with the birthday girl and boy illuminated by flashes shooting incessantly through the darkness in hastiness to capture each step, sway, pause and dip. Especially noticeable was a huge telescopic lense of Ifreestyle and filming SalsaTO, a slew of others, including some taking pics with their cell-phones: I am sure a lot of memories of this event will be posted on websites, My Space and Facebook.

Somewhere in-between fit a birthday cake, or rather two of them: a Black Forest cake and another - some coffee-tasting spongy one. Not exactly my favourite, but hey, if I want the cake I go to a different place and here folk come for some gourmet salsa stuff!

At some point you just realize it's time to call it a night, especially when there is a last train to catch... and dash through the door, still steaming hot, gasping in freezing air.
Luckily, the snowfall saw itself ignored and defeated by hordes of dancers, and retreated in shame, so your crumpled toque is abandoned in your pocket. And then, safely, in an almost empty train, you'd close your eyes and play back a new move you just picked, trying some memorable flashy styling, furtively looking over your shoulder if nobody is watching.

Duh, it's sure better to see than to hear someone describe it... When the experts take the stage - it's a passion in progression!

In conclusion, it was also inspiring to see some beginner students coming out to practice that night - though the show of the masters is not for the faint of heart, nevertheless, the attitude is very benevolent: after all, we all start somewhere down there before we reach another and another height. Babalu'u is indeed a place for the reaching ones.
Music is my religion, salsa is my confession
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: