Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Los Salsomanos Monthly Salsa Social

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Los Salsomanos Monthly Salsa Social Reply with quote

Los Salsomanos have started monthly Salsa Socials at Cardinal Viva Dance Studio
55 Doncaster - one traffic lights North of Steeles, off Yonge.
I missed the opening party in December, but the next one is this Saturday - January 24th.
For those who would like to check it out - here is the link:
http://www.lossalsomanos.com/main_new22.asp
Please, post your impressions here.
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Los Salsomanos Monthly Salsa Social Reply with quote

OK, since no one else throws around any chit-chat here's a breakdown of the Saturday's scene. (Come on, folk, did you like it? not really? not enough time to decide? I didn't notice any non-disclosure agreements to sign in there Rolling Eyes )

1. The venue
The studio is spacious, with looking worn but still very danceable parquet-tiled floor, framed by a row of foldable chairs.
Lots of free parking, one traffic light North of Steeles, off Yonge, accessible by TTC, YRT (York Regional Transit) and VIVA.

2. Make-shift coat-check manned by young student volunteers of Viva-Dance is $1, but is not enforced, i.e. if you just love your jacket and hate parting with it even for a couple of hours, you could carry it in and hang it on a chair (would be a great way to hold a space were it not for the abundance of it:))

3. The lesson
Combination taught was comparable to Level 2 TDS. Giovanni chewed every move over and over, which was kinda boring for higher levels, but overall justified, IMHO, considering a very mixed crowd. To his credit, he managed to counter the tedium by interspersing humourous remarks here and there. More gals showed up for the lesson, so the idle coat-check crowd were called to provide the lead along with helpers, rotating each time after repeating the combination for 3-4 times.

4. The music
If the name DJ Gio does not sound enticing by itself, then it should: the music he plays never fails to move your feet...

5. The crowd
"Usual suspects"moving from place to place each day of the week plus Viva Dance and Los Salsomanos students and performers, instructors, familiar TDS faces and some folk from the neighbourhood, regulars from Toronto Salsa Practice, and some, should I say, potential students. A lot of "on2" dancers. The crowd started gathering after 10 p.m. and until midnight there wasn't a lack of dancers on the floor and around. I left then but apparently some stayed to dance past 1 a.m. A very positive note: no stiletto heel wounds and body checks - still a lot of space no matter how crowded it was during the "prime-time".

6. Snacks.
Yes, there were salsa and chips, pretzels, fruit trays, vegetable trays with dip, some chocolate candy...

7. Drinks
A make-shift cash bar with some alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

8. Cover.
10 bucks at the door after 9 p.m., i.e. not including the lesson (if you want the lesson @ 8 p.m. you'll have to add two bucks). $8 / $10 if paid by a credit card at the website even if you do it right before heading there (just don't forget to bring a printed receipt).
IMHO, worth it, especially if it's close to home, and driving downtown is a mission.

My overall impression: I liked it, and if there's no interfering commitments, will definitely come back the next time - February 28, 2009.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give Salsaconvert credit for their experience at the Los Salsomanos monthly Social. You did a very good job in describing excatly what transpired last Saturday night.

I just want to add that..yes, there was alot of On2 danceing going on, but a quick reminder is that most of the On2 dancers do dance On1 . Please do not hesatate to ask an On2 dancer to dance..just ask politely to have your dance with them On1 or, if your up for it..tell them that you would love to give On2 a try but to take it easy with you...you both then will have lots of fun in the process Smile

Mark
vorada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny
I didn't notice any of ON2 dancers, I mean who danced with me.
or I just switch without knowing? Smile

Rada V.
SHC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Los Salsomanos social Reply with quote

Salsaconvert, you did a great job in telling your experience at the Los Salsomanos social ... I arrived late that evening and had an excellent time ... I didn't notice the snack table until they close the place down to tell you the truth!

I did notice there were a lot of On2 dancers there, the majority of my dances there were On2 ... there were lots of space to dance and to rest, now that I know there are free snacks ... there is no reason for me not to be there LOL!!

I also find there is not many places I like to go dancing on a Sat evening ... for me this social is a treat!!! Again with DJ Gio music ... can't complain!

I would recommend you give it a try if you haven't already ... especially if you live around the area!

Stella
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: