Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hilario Duran (Christmas) Salsa Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Hilario Duran (Christmas) Salsa Music Reply with quote

I'm sure Hilario Duran is a familiar name to Latin jazz lovers. Hilario Duran is an amazing Cuban pianist who is currently based in Toronto. He performs world-wide and has collaborated with many jazz giants. -- I was just listening to some of his jazz numbers on my ipod, and wondered what kind of Latin salsa repertoire he has, if at all. I went on the internet and sampled a couple of tunes...all of which were slow salsa music and heavily jazz influenced. They were still beautiful music, but I was looking for something more generically salsa. Then I realized that Duran had produced a purely salsa Christmas album simply called "Christmas Salsa." It has some great numbers perfect for Christmas parties. If you go to the very bottom of this website, http://www.tormusic.com/hduran/h_duran.html you can sample one number from that CD. It's a salsa version of "Carol of the Bells." It's a pretty neat rendition.

By the way, if you have never heard Hilario Duran live, I highly recommend that you try to catch a show whenever he's in town. You will be sure to find him at the annual Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival. His Cuban jazz music may not be the easiest kind of music to listen to, and it may not be anything like salsa music. However, listening to more of any kind of Latin music will certainly help with your musicality, and you will be able to appreciate all the different instrumental/vocal lines in salsa music even more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: