Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SYTYCDC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: SYTYCDC Reply with quote

I am noticing that for some reason I am not enjoying the Canadian version as much as I did the US one. Overall, I have to say, there are some really talented dancers that are able to keep my attention, but something is missing.
I am a little disappointed with Blake who acts too nice. I expected that he would be more constructive. And, honestly, I think a little drama wouldn't hurt anyone. Otherwise, this show would have the fate of Canadian Idol-Simon-less and a little boring.
Another weakness of the show are the costumes. I feel like some of the costumes were dug out of an old theatre closet. And who dances a Paso Doble in pink...Natalli did not look as fearce as she could have wrapped in all this cotton candy.
So besides from these two areas, the show has a great potential and needs more viewers.
Romina and Dario, who, by the way, were amazing, had to leave last week. My preference was to see Tamina and Izaak go based on their last performances.
I am not the voting type, but I will make an effort next week.

Did anyone vote last week?
4feet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ve caught my sentiment exactly, V!!!... As I was suspecting ( and I’m probably going to get a lot of flak for once again, as all of us PROUD but only voicing our PERSONAL critique Canadians usually do, knocking down our own ), this is feeling a less then second rate in comparison to the U.S. version. But let me explain my perspective and it is not compiled in a logical manner ( sorry but this is written by an ADD afflicted troll; yes I can be self deprecating ):

The whole production value of THIS version seems ( and this is being very kind ) cut rate; do these “Esteemed Panel” of judges represent the BEST that the Canadian artistic community has to offer?!? GOD HELP US!!! These judges have all the personalities, acumen of a 3x3 cement blocks!! And if that is the case, then maybe PM Harper has seen the show and, rightfully so as well as very astutely, made his decision to cut arts funding henceforth if we are to produce such schlock as to disable my want to use my senses ever more. I may go blind AND death for all I’ve seen and heard ( I am no JFK or Obama of orators but then again I am not on national TV representing the arts ) on this show!!. Jean “The Createn” Chretien or even the arts loving Steven Harper could have been more observant and articulate. I’d even settle for Hellen Keller but a alas, she is dead and not Canadian!!! Could they NOT afford better, more original writers and editors that could have avoided the regurgitated, over and over, terms?!

It just seems very contrived; a mutual admiration club gathering. Where is the honest critique, the objective differentiation of dancers, their characteristics and styles, maybe some creative banter/dialogue/exchange between ALL of the participants – judges, the idiot host, competitors. I just feel like I’m watching 4 TEDDY RUXPINS ( the judges ) and a mechanized GRETEL ( do all the entertainment show hosts go to the same poser class; feet crossed elbows in…. my only solace – please skip to the next paragraph if you are of the sensitive ilk - is the positioning of the mic in proximity to her face, with that singular, satisfaction grin that we only experience during….. OH GOTTA RUN, MY GOD IS CALLING!! I’LL LET YOU FILL IN THE SENTENCE ), I keep looking for the wind up key on her back or strings running from the top. At this point, I am honestly suggesting that the SWEDISH CHEF and BEAKER ( from the MUPPET SHOW ) be brought in for more rounded, enlightened feel.

In conclusion: the cream of our artistic crop heads south while we are subjected to the re-enactment of the 80’s local talent show ( Tuktoyaktuk version ) on the locally relegated to ROGERS/NEWTON ( I hope someone out there can still remember THOSE happy days ) community cable ch. 10. Captain Kangaroo I really miss you in this “MR. ROGERS NEIGHBOURHOOD”!!! Rolling Eyes

P.S.....
....and oh damn skippy I'll be voting..... to send the judges home and the show into permanent hiatus!!! BRING BACK THE “SESSAME STREET”, BRING BACK “SESSAME STREET”!!!! … The petition shall be provided at a latter date!!
velina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. And also, you reminded me of the third, and probably most irritating part of the show...Leah Miller. I am getting a little tired of hearing about how she feels, what shoes she has...it is all about her.
Well, I still have hope and I do think that there is some talent on this show, so I will continue to watch it. I hope next week is better.
WF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT a minute, Romina and Dario have been voted off already?!?! That's such a shame!
velina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Boring judges Reply with quote

My subject line says it....this show is boring...and it is so because of its judges. I am tired of the same comments and how Canada can dance and how great the choreography was...when in most cases it was NOT. We need to hear some constructive feedback that will push the dancers to show us more.
Sara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Boring indeed! Reply with quote

I agree with you 100 percent! The judges are just WAY too nice. I do agree that the dancers are far better and so they are indeed all good. But I truly feel for it to feel like a competition, people should be challenged more and critiqued in the most useful way...

My personal favourites.... hands down Nico and Arrasay and ofcourse Danny and Allie. I would like to see those four in the top 5 for sure!

Now, as for Leah Miller.... OMG. I never liked her as a VJ as I found her annoying with her shoulder movements as she is speaking the camera. Not to mention the crazy amounts of wierd "ditsy" sounds that come out of her when she wants to be nice to the dancers... It's just too fake and she certainly nowhere near Cat from the american show. I loved her.
So, Velina.....I am with ya!
Sara
velina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am not loving Leah at all...I think that she does try to do a good job, however, she ends up talking about herself too much. I do like Cat, there was something really cute about her.
velina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Tonight's show Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the show tonight? I missed the first three dances...I am actually curious to find out what you thought of the samba...
velina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang,

Who got eliminated tonight? I did not get a chance to see the show. I know that the salsa was pretty amazing last night but not sure who else stood out.
WF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out the other day that one of the top 10 contestants, Miles Faber, is a Toronto-trained salsa dancer. He was trained by Paula from Dance To Live studio. -- Has he danced any salsa on the show yet??
velina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who got eliminated today?
velina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more than upset...I am about to give up on this show...I cannot believe that Vincent got eliminated and Izaak is still in...unbelievable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: