Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Female vs. Male Dance Instructors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Female vs. Male Dance Instructors Reply with quote

What are your thoughts? Although I benefit greatly from the technical elements from learning with Sharon, and the endless humor that she attaches to "sexy moves" for women (rolls, pops etc).... Sometimes when the male helpers explain things I tend to get it faster.

What do guys think about having a male instructor vs. female instructor? Do you think there would be added benefit in learning from a Toronto Dance Salsa (guy)?

second post in the pink forum ...

M
michel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a guy.
i would not change sharon for anybody.
what pink ? i see burgundy.
David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I don't mind having a female instructor for the lower levels 1-3 to learn turn patterns etc. But would rather prefer to have a male instructor once you get beyond the beginner levels. It just starts becoming weird trying to follow or apply styling techniques for a guy when you see a female doing it (I get confused easily), just my opinion.
lindiloo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experiences, the gender of the instructor didn't always determine whether I would have a better learning experience. A good teacher will bring out the best in their students - male or female.
TwoLeftFeet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindiloo wrote:
In my experiences, the gender of the instructor didn't always determine whether I would have a better learning experience. A good teacher will bring out the best in their students - male or female.

This has been true for me too... I've found the best teachers are the ones that usually have the following:
    Passion for the subject (ie enthusiasm)

Good, thorough technical knowledge of subject

Genuine interest in seeing others succeed at learning subject.

Having said that, if I look at my schooling history, I'd have to say that a larger percentage of my "great" teachers have been female (just a coincidence IMHO).
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lindiloo and 2left feet - gender doesn't make a difference for me. It is the quality of instruction. You can go out to any salsa club and look at different styles of male dancers and get an idea of how you want to look. You can find a male styling class that will offer male specific styles. But in terms of technique, learning how to dance and learning moves, the quality of the instructor is what matters.

Whoever you choose as an instructor they have to be able to lead and follow so they can discuss both points of view. There are many male instructors who cannot actually follow so they give a slanted view of the dance.
SalsaMan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Sharon is the best! Reply with quote

I've taken a number of salsa classes. I've been with two different schools and took instruction at the Canadian Salsa Congress. From all the instructors I've had, I find that Sharon breaks the moves down the best. She's the best there is in Toronto. A lot of other dancers (male and female) look good but they can't explain things well and that won't help you as a salsa dancer.

I've even bought instructional salsa DVDs and Sharon breaks it down much better than they do. Combine that with her great humour and energy and you've got the perfect salsa teacher! I wouldn't trade her for anyone!
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Mens Styling Reply with quote

First off, for shines and patterns I have not felt a difference between male and female instructors. I agree that Sharon breaks down a pattern and explains the details very well.

I think one frustration that some men may feel is the lack of classes for men's styling. I'm one of those men. Everywhere I go in the world, men's styling is typically related to a workshop or two here and there. The unfortunate thing is that although a lot of men "want" to learn better styling, it appears that few are willing to invest the time in an entire class devoted to styling. So when you see women looking like "all that and a bag of chips" understand that likely they've taken 9 weeks of a lady's styling class to get there.

For myself, I find that the best way to dance more "macho" with cool styling is to take a private from a good male instructor who you wouldn't mind mimicking a bit while you figure out your own style. As Karem has said on another posting, styling is a lot about understanding body movement. Taking a street dance (aka. hip hop, popping, locking, etc.) class that focuses on body isolation and movement can add some spice into your salsa as well. Al "Liquid Silver" Espinoza is a good example of integrating street dance movement into salsa.

Alfred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: