Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Argentine Tango - Fridays with Bryant Lopez

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Argentine Tango - Fridays with Bryant Lopez Reply with quote

Last Tango class when we chatted with Bryant and lamented the brevity of a 15-min-a-week tango practice, he suggested we drop in to his Friday class around Yonge / Lawrence for a lesson followed by a dance practice. Beginners class, he assured, would be OK (8 to 9 p.m.) then we could watch the intermediate class and continue with dance practice.
Any takers for this Friday? Parking is free Very Happy
Here is the link with all the details: http://www.tangosoul.org/classes/classes.htm
David Nock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: TangoSoul ... Friday night practice Reply with quote

I've already been planning to go ... also, the Tuesday evening 'Club Milonga' (Danforth/Chester): http://www.tangotoronto.com/

However, I won't be certain until later in the week if I can make it this Friday. In fact, I may have to decide at the last minute ... sorry. It's a long subway trek for me as well.

Oh, here are some Tango links to investigate:

http://www.totango.net/terms.html
http://www.havefunwithtango.com/Second%20page.htm
rev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so we just drop in to the class? And practice afterwards. If my car issues are worked out today, I am there.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may check that out next week. It's really important to practise guys because dancing tango for one hour a week is really nothing. We've got to put what we learn to the test! Bryant's class is not the only place to practise...there's also a few other places that have milongas on a regular basis such as the Danforth Baptist Church and others!

If anyone knows any other good places to do tango please let me know. It would also be cool if we could organize a night where a bunch of us from the class could go and dance!
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tango practice Reply with quote

I am TOTALLY FOR going out for tango practice as a TDS group, the more of us, the better, preferrably even numbers of ladies and gents Smile at least not to interfere with more experienced dancers from elsewhere...(I could say "not to spoil someone else's night out" Embarassed , but I don't want to sound too self-disparaging Wink 'cause we're getting there, slowly but steadily)

There has actually been a talk to check out Bryant's Friday's beginners class & practice immediately after our Level 1 classes end on last Thursday, August 7th, so why don't we all get together for real and test-drive what we will have learned, indeed!
I don't know about other places, though looks like David posted very informative links on Tango in this string, Fridays at Bryant's seem more enticing (IMHO) for a number of reasons:
1) Convenient central location compared to Danforth, for example, or Mississauga, with free parking (!) and at the same time accessible by subway
2) Friday (no need to wake up early on Saturday) - and there is a practice session after the class
3) We already know Bryant

Completely agree: once a week, is indeed nothing, be it tango, or any other new learned skill - this is a reality and it needs to be faced accordingly.
David Nock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Tango practice Reply with quote

I'm all for the Tango practice.

There's been talk of going as a group and I've confirmed my intentions to go. So there's already several.

I heard that Bryant is not doing the 'drop in' lessons anymore, as the late-comers (non-regulars) bring the group down to their lower level. Not fair to the regulars. Makes sense. So, from what I know, his basic lessons began last Friday (19th) and will continue for 8/9 weeks and re-start again. Similarly with intermediate level at 9pm immediately following basic. I was tempted to take his basic lessons starting last Fri.

We don't need to wait until we finish our basics to begin practice. Some are keen to attend the milonga/practice sessions sooner (right away?).

Yes, even 'pairings' so as to not bother the oldsters ... heh heh. I sense etiquette playing a major role. It'd be good to be briefed on the social dynamics.
Somchay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Argentine Tango - Fridays with Bryant Lopez Reply with quote

SalsaConvert wrote:
Last Tango class when we chatted with Bryant and lamented the brevity of a 15-min-a-week tango practice, he suggested we drop in to his Friday class around Yonge / Lawrence for a lesson followed by a dance practice. Beginners class, he assured, would be OK (8 to 9 p.m.) then we could watch the intermediate class and continue with dance practice.
Any takers for this Friday? Parking is free Very Happy
Here is the link with all the details: http://www.tangosoul.org/classes/classes.htm

SalsaConvert,

Is this a drop in class? or do I need to register first? Is it about equal partnering ratio?

Maybe I will see you this Friday. Have fun.
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Argentine Tango - Fridays with Bryant Lopez Reply with quote

[quote="Somchay"] Is this a drop in class? or do I need to register first? Is it about equal partnering ratio?

To tell you the truth, after what David wrote about cancellation of drop-in classes I am not sure anymore... Bryant's website has changed: the link "New Milonga Argentina 2008 and Tango lessons" does not work anymore. So, I guess, the only way is to ask him point blank this coming Thursday and find out for sure.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good guys. We have to ask Bryant and see what he tells us. The more we know the better. We have to stop dreaming and make this practise a reality Razz!
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, no more Friday drop-in classes at Bryant's anymore Sad
And his beginners group has just started and is even more beginners than we are.
Though, he confirmed that supervised practice is 9 to 10 p.m. and afterwards just tango dancing...so, yea, we could at least practice again what we learned ad nauseam and watch those who can dance Cool
So, two more classes to go, and then Friday August 8th - let's just get out and do it!
Somchay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Today is the last day for registration. Reply with quote

Recieved this email. Today is the last day for registration.

Code:
Hello:

Next Friday is the Last time for sign ups since we don't take drop in. The Cost for the Sign Up is  per person for 8 weeks. If you want we can put you on our Registering List before coming this Friday.

Happy Dancing

Bryant & Faye

David Nock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: ... On my way ... Reply with quote

I'm on my way ... anyone else going?

An hour of basic lesson, then a supervised practice dance with both Bryant and Faye. I'm not sure if there's a 'Milonga' afterwards. I know one of our classmates has already begun (last Fri.) and I believe two others will be attending the practice dance at 9pm. That's three women and me. Good ratio ... heh, heh.

See you there!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: