Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion for signups without a partner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Suggestion for signups without a partner Reply with quote

I'm new to TDS and I've been enjoying the classes and I just had an idea.

It would be great if for people who were signing up for classes as individuals without partners, if we could (for an extra fee) have a helper permanently assigned to us for the duration of the class.

I find that learning the moves in class can be difficult with an equally inexperienced partner because sometimes it's like the blind leading the blind. And with the class so large, it's hard for the instructor to see what everyone is doing and give feedback.

I have found that when I was partnered with a helper, my learning improved dramatically. If a student had a tutor of sorts working with them during the entire class, they could get real time feedback on what they're doing right and what they need to change.

I would gladly pay for that service and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our forum, happyfeet!

I am glad that you've been enjoying the classes. I wish to you that it will get only better and better.

Your idea sounds interesting but as you know usually everything has 2 sides. Wink

Personally I found out that it's really helpful if I can dance with many different partners. That way I am improving my dancing skills much better and solid (although maybe not faster).

For example if you are a leader and you are dancing with a helper, you don't have to always give strong signals for a move since the helper knows and can recognize much easier what you are trying to do and she will follow you very easily. Although we are trying to tell you if the lead wasn't clear enough, it's still very possible that you can get wrong impression that your lead is very good and be very surprised with another partner who needs more clear signals.

If you are a follower it's even more important to dance with many partners. Every leader is choosing different order of the moves and giving signals slightly differently. You need to learn to recognize these signals and be prepared to unexpected move and orders of the moves.

If you want to quickly learn to dance, you can always choose the private lessons:

But to fully develop your dancing skills and be ready to dance with anybody, you should also choose the group classes with the rotation. It really helps.

At least this is my experience.

Have a happy dancing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Dedicated Helpers Reply with quote

Hi -

Agreed, HappyFeet's suggestion is very interesting, indeed! It is extremely nice to find one's self partnered with a helper during the rotation in class. I'm a lead, but I'd guess this is even more the case where follows are concerned.

From my own experience - I did level 1 entirely with privates and my teacher was excellent, but when I showed up for a group level 2, I quickly realized I'd been spoiled by dancing exclusively with a pro. The signals in level 1 are fairly straight forward, so most of my partners could follow, but as I've gone through some more levels, I find that having both pro and fellow-student partners makes me focus on getting the lead clear. Sometimes the move I intend just explodes and falls apart in the middle and I presume it's because I'm not leading it well - if a helper/follow could compensate for my unclear lead, I wouldn't have the incentive to make my lead clean (or even know that it wasn't).

That said, however, my plan is to take a private or two towards the end of each level to really clean things up -- I'll ask for the most honest and forthcoming criticism (lol - okay, suggestions for improvement) and go from there. Having a more-experienced partner some of the time really does prove beneficial as HappyFeet observed!

- Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: