Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My on-2 dilemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: My on-2 dilemma Reply with quote

I recently ventured into the wonderful world of on-2 dancing. I enjoy the new challenge and the fact that I am expanding my dance vocabulary and feel for the music. This gives me an opportunity to dance with some really good on-2 dancers who used to be outside of my reach when I was strictly an on-1 dancer.

During the last outing at Plaza Flamingo, however, I found myself having a really hard time switching back and forth, from on-1 to on-2 and vice versa. I ended up counting the beats almost out loud, which is something that I did not do even when I was a beginner. It was a truly confusing night, yet a very fun one Laughing

Anyone with a similar experience?
blackout1999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: same thing Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? I've also ventured into the world of on2 and it's not easy converting from on1 to on2. It's kind of a slow process and I'm still having trouble myself. What I usually do is I count the beats in my head to get myself on par with the music. Another piece of advice I have is to dance with someone who has experience dancing on2. Even as a leader, you dance partner can be very helpful getting you back on track. Holla back at ya boy!
SHC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velina, I think it is great that you share your experience here. I believe what you experience is very common. Not only did I go through that myself, people who I know recently start their On2 dancing said the very same thing. I found counting out the beat (out loud) really helps. I never count the beat out loud when I dance On1 either (except when I am the lead Very Happy ) ... strange how things works.

I still have trouble switching between On1 and On2. When I dance On2, I used to go back On1 every time I came out of a turn. Now that I have been trying On2 dancing a bit longer, I found I am experiencing the opposite (that I will go back to On2 steps when I am dancing On1), especially during shines. Perhaps in a few years, this won't happen when I perfect my On1 and On2 skills Surprised

Stella
Valentin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: On2+On1 Reply with quote

Hey guys, I had a similar problem in December last year when I started to take the On2 lessons.
Although in class or at home I was able to translate intermediate/advanced moves from On1 to On2, I couldn't do them properly in the club trying to dance On2. Caryl's advice to me was then not to mix learning On2 with doing/practicing On1.

After a few good On2 lessons, now I can think of an explanation on some difficulties that On1 dancers have when they begin to learn the On2 style. Let's see 2 facts about the basic step:

#1. On2 and On1 share the same "steps". To be more clear: the same foot is used on the same beat, for both styles On1 and On2.
Here they are, the Beat-Foot pairs for both On1 and On2: (L = Left, R = Right)

Leader . : 1(L) 2(R) 3(L) ... 5(R) 6(L) 7(R)
Follower: 1(R) 2(L) 3(R) ... 5(L) 6(R) 7(L)

#2. Despite the fact #1 above, the steps go in different directions: (F=Forward, B=Backward, *=Change Direction)

Leader On1 : 1(F*) 2(B ) 3(B ) ... 5(B*) 6(F ) 7(F )
Leader On2 : 1(B ) 2(B*) 3(F ) ... 5(F ) 6(F*) 7(B )

Follower On1: 1(B*) 2(F ) 3(F ) ... 5(F*) 6(B ) 7(B )
Follower On2: 1(F ) 2(F*) 3(B ) ... 5(B ) 6(B*) 7(F )

So you see, counting the beats helps you always identify the correct foot on a specific beat, but since they are the same for On1 and On2, you have to focus on which direction you make the step.
Focusing on the direction can help you get back on On2 easily even if you started on On1. You can do it even in the middle of the move!
Look at the Leader (or Follower) lines above, and try to do first half On1, and then do the second half On2. See? The only thing you have to switch is the direction on 5, because the foot used for that beat is the same in On1 and On2 (see the #1. fact)

Another trick is to do small steps when you are in trouble. Actually the extreme of that, stepping on the spot, becomes the same for both On1 and On2 ! (the #1. fact explains it again).

In conclusion, even though is good to know these facts, I think also that in the first months of learning On2 is better not to alternate dancing On1 with dancing On2 when you go to a club. It's better to reserve the whole evening for dancing only On2. Well, if you're concerned about losing your On1 skills you can dance only On1 in another evening.

PS. Advice for the On1 intermediate non-professional dancers: don't start On2 lessons before you finish an On1 advanced level (Level 5 TDS at least, or level 4 + a few good months of practice). I saw someone doing that, and the result was "messy" on both styles, euphemisticaly speaking Sad
velina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding and for the tips. I am looking forward to our next outing to practice my on-2
See you on the dance floor.

v.
blackout1999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: I'll dance with you Reply with quote

Hey, Velina. If you need someone to practice with on Sunday, I'll dance with you. I need to practice my on2 as well. Holla back at ya boy!
velina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Just prepare to be really confused Laughing
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it really difficult to mix on1 and on2 dancing in one night especially when you are just learning.

I try to commit to dancing on1 or on2 for a whole night, unless of course whoever is asking me to dance does not know how to dance on2.

Also, some songs are just suited better on2 and others are suited better on1.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of us are in the same boat. From what I hear dancing On2 may take a month or more to get used to for us girls, depending on how often you go out. It may be more difficult for the guys to transition just due to the nature of leading and really having to listen to the music. I've had a few funny experiences myself dancing On2. There have been several times that I've been asked, "On1 or On2?" to which I would generally reply "Either one" or if I was feeling more adventurous "Surprise me". A piece of advice to all you ladies: just pick one! Or you may find yourself wondering, "Am I dancing On1 or 2?" I know this sounds ridiculous, but trust me, it happens.

The other thing that I usually say is that learning to dance On2 is like learning to speak another language. You can sit at home and read books and what not, but the quicker way to learn is simply to immerse yourself in the environment of the native speakers. How does this translate to dance? Well, if you want to see more of the On2 dancers, you will find them in their natural habitat. Go to go clubs like Babalu'u on Tuesday and you will be amongst plenty of On2 dancers. You will also get a chance to observe the more experienced On2 dancers and maybe take a few mental notes.

Another great way to learn is to take some On2 classes where all the turn patterns, shines, and styling is done On2. City Dance Corps offer some great advanced classes, and iFreestyle is practically dedicated to On2 dancing!

Just remember, in the end it's not really about dancing On1 or On2, it's about having fun! If you are really enthusiastic about making the transition it will happen eventually. Don't get discouraged and stick to it!
Miroslav

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you how do you feel about Salsa On2 after these 6 months? How often are you dancing On2 and it is easier to switch between On1/On2 during same evening for you now?

I have been introduced to the "On2 Steps" because of Cha-Cha-Cha. And maybe because in my mind I was dancing new dance style, I didn't get confuse with Salsa On1 by using the salsa moves. Now when I am trying to dance Salsa On2 it looks much easier since I got used to the "On2 Steps" from Cha-Cha-Cha.

So maybe it's good to learn Cha-Cha-Cha first and after try Salsa On2.

But I am on very early stage yet to make this statement.

What do you think?

Miroslav

P.S. Valentin have made really good explanation of differences between On1/On2 steps in this topic and also in the next one:

http://www.torontodancesalsa.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632
velina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miroslav,
I really enjoy dancing on2. I still face some challenges sometimes, however, the experience is very rewarding. On2 has also given me an opportunity to dance with some amazing dancers who I did not used to dance with before as I only danced on1.

If you have just started your salsa experience it may be a good idea to focus on one style before moving on to the next. Again, it all depends on you and how you feel about learning and challenging yourself.

Salsa is amazing on1 or on2 as long as you love it.
blackout1999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: It's been a long time Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? It's been a long time since I've been on the forum. As a few of you have noticed, I've been to a ton of salsa events and clubs dancing my butt off and taking pics for the Salsa GGGs facebook page. Not to mention, it's been crazy at work so it's been crazy for me.
As far as the on2 thing, it's still a challenge for me not to convert back to the default style(on1) but it takes time to get used to on2. You can pretty much execute the same turn patterns do some real cool ones too but the challenge is keep doing it. Eventually, I'll be getting back into it as I'm going in a different direction but I'll be back on the on2 picture before you know it. Holla back at ya boy!
Sara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Salsa on2 Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I have been dancing on2 for about two years now and I have to admit it's a whole lot of fun!
Workshops like Teddy's are truly great to update you and bring you up to speed with the basics. The rest is really just practice. I agree with you Velina...If you are not fully good at body movement ON1 then you shouldn't be dancing ON2 yet, because you need more style and movement for ON2 dancing to look good. Otherwise, it just looks like you are dancing a lot slower than you should be (even though you are not). ON2 is great because you can slow down the style to give more emphasis to the graciousness and beauty of the dance.

I do admit, that I am always looking forward to dancing with good ON2 followers.
I have tried leading ON2 and I find it's really easy for simple leads, but alot more complicated for Coca Colas and variations of them. I do love styling ON2 though....much more than ON1.
Velina, maybe I can try leading you and you can follow ON2 and we'll REALLY be confused together!!!!! Smile

Mambo ON2 salsa friends!

Sara
velina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am up for the challenge. I will follow you on any count you want. I cannot wait, maybe next Sunday at the Social?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: