Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sources of new music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Sources of new music Reply with quote

I'm always looking for fresh and new salsa tunes and sometimes it isn't the easiest thing to do. There's DJ Kay's monthly favorites, but how else does everyone find new salsa tunes?

I use these two websites:
Weekly top 100 latin music charts:
Mr. Bongo Salsa Top 10 CDs:

Whenever there is a congress I always try to buy CDs from DJs with their latest mixes, that's always the best source of new music for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Free Cuban music and video downloads Reply with quote

Interesting that none of these lists above have any Cuban salsa songs although Cuba is
the country that produces more salsa music than any other country.

Check out a fellow Torontonian's Cuban music and dance page where you can download free Cuban music and videos.

PUPY PEDROSO Y LOS QUE SON SON will be in Toronto SATURDAY MAY 10 2008 at Kool Haus The Guvernment. Pupy's group is one of the most important groups in Cuba right now. Info here :

Check out television dancing contest on Cuban television with Pupy's song - la Timba a Pogolotti posted Wednesday, March 12. Has there been a better salsa song in the past ten years? You can actually see Pupy and his group playing in the clip for Monday, March 10.

You can see and hear Charanga Habanera, Pachito Alonso, Charanga Latina, Haydee Milanes, Haila, etc.

You can see some social dancing for video clip for March 7. And imagine they are NOT wearing special dance shoes, costumes, sweatbands, T shirts with salsa logos and not carrying water bottles.

All this can be found at :

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some of the videos and photos of the Winter Salsa Carnival with my 16 year old son. I just enjoy seeing many people from different cultures dancing salsa..

The future is the youth, you know. So, I asked my son who is heavily into some hip hop or reggaeton what he thought and he told me it was pretty "gay". Not "gay" meaning homosexual, but gay meaning "lame" he explained. He said it was maybe acrobatic, maybe hard to do, but defiinitely not cool. Before I got upset, I realized something. I don't think any young person under 18 years would think the dancing or the shows at the Winter Salsa Carnival were cool. For my son, "cool" would have to do with something with fashion, trends or feelings on the street right now. For him, he explained although "cool" doesn't have to be "ghetto", it has to be connected to something real from the street, something occurring naturally from the people.

I pulled out photos from my salsa dancing days in New Jersey 10 years ago and believe me, I was wearing the same outfits and doing the same routines 10 years ago as the salsa competitors at Winter Carnival. Then I pulled out my Ballroom photos from 15 years ago and you guessed it - I could have been in Dancing with the Stars. Nothing changes. It is like salsa dancing and ballroom has been in a time warp for the past 15 years.

I think one of the reasons is that salsa dancing has become more performance and competition based in the last few years. So, what people wear in salsa clubs or competitions becomes closer and closer to costumes and how people dance in clubs is closer to dancing that you can see in shows. A lot of people like this way of dancing (I do), but it also turns a lot of people off because it reflects less and less of what you see outside in the street.

The music has also taken a backseat to the dancing. Remember when you could hear a salsa song and you can remind you of when it came out, what you were doing, etc. It is becoming harder and harder to do that now. Most of the salsa songs in shows, congresses, nightclubs are older, but people don't know them, because many salsa newbies don't came from salsa music listening background. I went to Babalus the other night, my first time in 3 years, they played not only the same type of music, they played 95% of the exact same songs from 3 years ago (for El Rancho, you could go back 10 to 15 years with the exact playlists). But nobody complains.

But salsa music sales are down. And salseros who know a lot about the music usually play more classic salsa (Wednesdays at Babalus) or salsa groups will say they are inspired by 1970's Fania New York salsa, like Con Cache. But 1970's salsa won't get young people into salsa nightclubs. Let's face it, a lot of the new salsa music from New York, Puerto Rico, Colombia, and Venezuela in the past 5 years has been pretty bad. Therefore, young people are not really interested in salsa.

A lot of young people in Cuba are not interested in salsa too. But Cuba, because of economic and political factors, their music scene is more isolated from the globalized economic trends that shape other music from other countries. Cuban popular music seems LESS dominated by commercial and market forces that dominate capitalist countries. Well, if not less, then certainly in a different way than other countries. After all, it is a Communist country, where the government controls and owns everything. Most directors of the salsa groups are more famous than the singers, who are more often than not, expendable. And all of the singers and musicians in Cuba would not make in other countries, not because of talent, but because somebody down the line would deem them not physically attractive to be successful.

But the salsa music in Cuba has an undeniable connection to the people and what is happening now there.

Pacho Alonso y sus Kini Kini has a video on Wednesday, March 26 entry on

It shows how normal young Cubans like to dress with the berets, sunglasses, the shirts with the funny designs on them. The way they dance and gesture is how young people with attitude or street in them dance in Cuba NOW.

Los Van Van and Si a Una Mamita. A song that is heard everywhere in Cuba nowadays
the Wednesday, March 19 entry on the same website.

This is party music. You do not even need to know how to dance to start moving to this song and chorus.

This is the kind of music that reflects a HERE and a NOW. I mean it reflects a certain culture at a specific time in history. It reflects a people, a culture. My God, it is good to be young and listen to music that people will make fun of in 20 years like disco.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Los Van Van's Si a Una Mamita Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Los Van Van's Si a Una Mamita Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: