Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

article: The different Salsa styles explained

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: article: The different Salsa styles explained Reply with quote

I found this article while looking for the difference between Mambo and Salsa. It's about "The different Salsa styles". I just find this an interesting article and want to share it.

http://www.worldsalsafederation.com/articles2.html
timbero1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Differences Between Mambo and Salsa Reply with quote

To many Cubans (since Mambo comes from Cuba), it is strange many that North Americans call their salsa dancing MAMBO.

Mambo and Salsa are different dances and different kinds of music. Mambo comes from Cuba and became famous around the world. You can see it here and how Mexicans danced to Mambo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XPsPHXcZuE

Sure it is an old clip. Mambo is old music and was invented before salsa came along.
You see how most couples dance alone without holding on to their partner. Can you see a cross body lead anywhere or a quick-quick-slow. NO.

If you don`t believe me, watch the mambo dancing in the movies Mambo Kings or Motocycle Diaries. Do they dance anything that looks like what people in Toronto call MAMBO dancing. In Motocycle Diaries, they laugh at Gael Garcia because he tries to lead his partner in Mambo.

I have never seen real Mambo dancing in Toronto or heard pure Mambo music in a nightclub. When people say they are dancing Mambo in Toronto, for me that is Salsa dancing New York style. Real Mambo dancing would be dancers dancing alone maybe facing a partner and doing footwork separately.

You can't dance salsa to real mambo music. It is too fast and there is no time to do a cross body lead or quick-quick-slow. Download or buy Mambo music (not mambo/salsa mixes) and you will see what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: