Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different Salsa Styles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Different Salsa Styles Reply with quote

I have a friend who is taking afro-cuban dance classes with Afrolatino and she invited me to one of their outtings Sunday evening at the Dragonfly.

I felt like a beginner again!

I loved the afrolatino style, as they emphasize more body movements and playing with rhythm in the music and dancing in circles.

There were people there who danced samba style, rueda, and even cumbia and NOT one single person was doing the mambo step. I didn't realize that there was a whole other salsa world out there in Toronto, but here I was feeling like a complete beginner amid some amazing dancers! I was in an alternate salsa universe!

I ended up having a really good time. One point during the outting, everyone was on the dance floor and the president/instructor was leading some moves which we all followed in a huge group (kind of like disco dancing!)

I think it's a great experience to try out as many styles of salsa as possible to braoden your knowledge and appreciation of the dance
timbero1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Good for you Reply with quote

Good for you. There are lot of people in the salsa community who would rather take Tango or Flamenco than Afro-Cuban or Afro-Latin classes even though Afro Cuban dances like rumba (Cuban rumba, the original one) have a closer relationship to salsa than these other dances.

People in the West associate good dancing with speed, power and acrobatics. I once heard a salsa teacher in Toronto say ballet dancers are the best dancers. Championship Ballroom dancers or professional ballet dancers are amazing dancers, not to take anything away from them. But I am sure they can never do what West African or Cuban dancers can do and I am sure the opposite is true too. But why in this society we only respect ballet or are awestruck with Dancesport ?

Another thing you should know. They do the "mambo" step and the cross body leads in Cuba for salsa as well and do it as frequently as the other styles of salsa. Of course, if say mambo step in Cuba, they will change the music and have you dance without touching your partner because mambo is mambo and it is not salsa.

I think even a North American style salsa dancer will admit that Cuba is one of the most important countries for salsa. It is amazing for me to meet hardcore salseros who have been to Puerto Rico and New York dozens of times and have never been to Cuba even once (or if they go, they go to the beach or the touristy places where they can dance with other foreigners).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: