Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FloorPlay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: FloorPlay Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

There is a new show in Toronto called "FloorPlay" - From the creators of Burn the Floor, this hot ballroom show is playing in Toronto for 3 days only from May 10th - 12th at the Hummingbird Theatre. It looks really good.

For more information and to check out a video preview, go to:
http://www.hummingbirdcentre.com/show_floorplay.html

For a 25% reduced ticket price for Toronto Dance Salsa students on Sat March 12th, please contact Chuan Chee at 416-598-4077.

Enjoy!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
J_Lapinoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: I got my tickets! Reply with quote

I got two tickets... well worth it considering the discount... Now I just need a date for the show.... Razz
Salsaddict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see burn the floor? I remember it being out but I wasn't into dance like I am now. Would love some feedback on this show???
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Floorplay Reply with quote

There are definitely a few of our students seeing this dance musical FloorPlay over the next week. Please post your reviews!
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: FloorPlay - Opening Night Reply with quote

Primal! Flirty! Fun! Sensual! That was opening night at the Hummingbird.

Two days left - Friday and Saturday (with 2:00pm matinee) before FloorPlay splashes down in Rochester 15 May and Buffalo 18 May.

The live persussion and two singers over the taped music put the primal edge to many well known songs the 10 to 12 couples danced too. Carmen will never ever be the same. Neither will "Proud Mary." Something about African origin percussion that brings it out.

The choreography is simple, not one cross body lead, barely a dip. Its the bigger, as in biiiggger than life quality that goes into each move, each gesture, and each note of the music that makes FloorPlay sizzle.

From Samba to Rumba, to Salsa, to Swing and Jive, to Flamenco bodies, to Tango, to the much maligned Waltz, the FloorPlay dancers put a hot sexy take to them all. It flowed - effortlessly. I can only imagine, "the easier it looks, the harder it is to learn."

It's all about being connected, letting the music move you that feeds FloorPlay's magic.

FloorPlay started in the house. A lithe long woman with gamin hair plucked a hapless male from his seat and danced with him, gave him a naughty naughty wag of a finger and turned to another unsuspecting male. The house became very quiet as all eyes watched and wondered what was coming next.

Then the aisles flooded with the dancers as they swarmed the stage, as a screen rose, revealing a raised platform enthroning two opposing sets of percussionists. Just under two hours with one intermission, the music and dance was hot and hotter and hottest.

The tension between men and women - the stylized courtship and flirtation that dance is - played out in the opposing groups of men and women shining off, swirling among each other, taking a few turns and flips and shining off from opposite places. The movement never stopped.

One woman surrounded by six men, dancing and flirting through the whole bunch - and coming out victorious was but one exclamation point in the evening.

If you have the time and a few $$$, FloorPlay is worth taking in. All dancers should take in at least one dance show in their life. Inspiration, fun, where the dance can go all help make one a better dancer in their own right. See what can be done with the simple moves we all learn.

If you miss FloorPlay, hold on to your hats and duct tape your shoes to your feet as Luminato festival is featuring, Lizt Alfonso Dance Cuba's Vida a spectacle linking dances and music to Cuba's social history, as an old woman sees/saw it.
garish

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't expect to see you here SalsaTO Smile
Thanks so much for the tickets...
oh, this is David who won the draw Very Happy
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: FloorPlay Reply with quote

Hey David!

Really glad you enjoyed the show!

It gave me ideas for my next routine. Yes, I dance; I've competed and I also do shows. Always a treat to see how others do things.

If there is salsa - the dance in it - there's always a chance I'll turn up and grab a few pix.
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to see you at our finals this Friday, SalsaTO!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: