Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salsa friends and non-salsa friends...the divide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Salsa friends and non-salsa friends...the divide. Reply with quote

If anyone is like me and you have been dancing a while and frequenting the salsa scene, you have come to divide your friends into "Salsa Friends" and "Non-Salsa Friends"

Salsa friends understand why you can go to a club ALONE in the middle of the week, meet people there, dance for an hour or two and go home to sleep and wake up for work on time the next day.

Non-salsa friends just don't get it....why we go out multiple times a week and why we spend so much time thinking and talking about salsa!

My non-salsa friends have started to make fun of me for "subconsciously" doing a quick quick slow step and salsa styling to regular songs at non-salsa clubs!

What quirks have your non-salsa friends pointed out about you? Have you realized a change in yourself when among non-salsa friends? And most importantly, how can we get our non-salsa friends to understand us....and join us on the other side?? IT's so much more fun on this side!
blackout1999

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Don't sweat the technique Reply with quote

What's really good, salsa people? I have come across heavily constrcuted criticism about salsa especially those who think everything hispanic comes from Mexico(don't ask how simple minded some people are). The only advice I have for those people who don't get it is a term coined by the infamous Rakim: Don't sweat the technique. Salsa is not just a dance, it's an artform. It's a culture that is worldwide in which people from all walks of life are living every day. Those non-believers(or playahaters) have no idea what they're missing. When they do come to the salsa side, there's no turning back. I know this because I haven't looked back.
So, the next time someone hates on salsa, tell 'em "Don't sweat the technique". Ona side note, Kimberlita, if your non-salsa friends end up leaving you because of your love for the art, you still have me as a friend and the rest fo the salsa people as friends. Holla back at ya boy!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...you are too kind.
My 'non-salsa' friends are actually very supportive of me...they even came out to show support at the competition, which was awesome! I just wish more of them would get into it! Now that I'm on the 'other side' i just can't imagine WHY people WOULDN'T want to salsa!!
nina bambina

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Salsa Friends vs. Non-Salsa Friends Reply with quote

I TOTALLY understand what you're talking about Kimerlita! When I first started getting into salsa, I tried desperately to get my other friends into the salsa scene. But after numerous attempts of bringing them to club classes and social dancing, I've learned salsa just isn't for everyone. So I've accepted the fact that I'll always go out with my non-salsa friends separately. Mind you, they're always supportive of my salsa addiction and will definitely be there to cheer us on at the competition.
blackout1999

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: It should be Reply with quote

I do agree with Nina that salsa is not for everyone. Although it should be because I find that going to a salsa club is much more fun that going to a regular club most of the time. When I first started in 2001, I was extremely skeptical about it but over time I really have started to appreciate it more every day. Don't get it twisted, I'm still a hip-hop and 80's head. There are skeptics, critics, and haters that will make their own assinine assumptions and conclusions about salsa(some of them really really stupid, don't ask) but they don't know until they try it first. If you ask me why I'm a salsa-head, it's because it's fun, energetic, amazing,(with the exception of stepping on toes, elbows to the face, and accidently slapping faces when you do a shoulder turn, don't ask) and it's one of the few sane things in an insane and somewhat chaotic world. Oh, did I mention you get to meet all kinds of fun people?
Ona side note, I would like to wish all my level 5 people good luck in the finals next Friday. Of course I can't forget Nina and Kimberlita. By the way, Nina, are you and your partner(I forget his name) going to do that slapping of the buttocks move or do you have another surprise? Holla bback at ya boy!
nina bambina

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blackout (sorry, I don't know your real name!)

The Booty-Slap move will unfortunately not be in our routine at the Finals. But it is a favourite move of Alfreds so you will no doubt see him doing it on the dancefloor during the social dancing...hahaha.

You'll have to wait and see what we have in store for Friday. See you there and be sure to introduce yourself to me!

Nina
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That booty arm throw was definitely a favourite of everyone who saw it!

I am bringing a lot of non-salsa friends to watch on Friday, so *hopefully* at least one of them will pick up a hint of an interest!
blackout1999

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Good luck Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? It just two days away and I can't wait. I just want to give a final shout-out to all the finalists and wish them good luck. There can only be one winner but to me, you're all winners. Next year, I'm definitely going in. Anyone need a partner for next year, holla back at ya boy! Let's rock the hizzouuse(6 degrees and Yonge and Eglinton). See you there.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyronne you crack me up...
I hope you find a partner for next year's competition because you show so much enthusiasm. Thanks for all the support and cheering us on!
Nathan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kimberly,

I thought you and Mark did a great job on Saturday kudos! I know what you mean by salsa and non-salsa friends. It's pretty crazy. My girlfriend sometimes gets anoyed with me... especially when we go shopping in malls... You'd be surprised how many stores play salsa to attract their customers!!

My friends and collegues don't understand how I can possibly go out monday's, tuesday's, and wednesday's and STILL go to work the following day! I thought the competition was a pretty tight race and I think next year it will be even better.

Nathan
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan Smile

Too funny... I love passing by Second Cup on the way to work becuase they play Latin music and it puts me in a good mood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: