Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Likes & Dislikes about your dance partners!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Likes & Dislikes about your dance partners! Reply with quote

I saw these topics in another forum and thought I'd see what people's thoughts are here. I'd rather end on a good note so I'll start with my dislikes... and keep in mind I'm new so maybe I'm the cause of my own trouble hehe...

I dislike...
When a girl brings my hand down after a turn when I intend to do a you-turn-I-turn!
...perhaps I should just say backleading in general

/rant
Something that drives me nuts and maybe it has to do with how I'm doing it, but I notice a good number of girls that aren't familiar with this... when I go to lead a reverse turn and pull the girl forward breifly on the 5, a lot of girls get confused. They think they are doing a late right turn, or aren't sure what I'm trying to do.

I actually don't see many combos performed that start with the reverse turn either, at least not the way it's taught in level 1, but maybe I'm not observant enough or just too awestruck by those *amazing* dancers.
/end_rant

I like...
When a girl gets really in to the dance. Since I'm kind of shy, it really helps get me in to it as well!
When she tells me if I'm doing something wrong and/or corrects me! (mind you, this is more something I would expect from dancers that are advanced -- instructors and such)
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic!

Yes, I know it's hard to give up backleading as a woman....but learning to let go and be a good follower comes with experience...and PRACTICE!

With regards to reverse turns, you should be bringing her hands toward your left shoulder so that she steps to her right instead of forward. Then use resistance to spring her in the other direction. This is exactly why resistance is so important in salsa. Reverse turns might not seem commonly used in salsa at this early stage for you, but they are important because they provide you with a good base for more complicated turns in level 2 and up. Reverse turns get you used to the feeling of what a "check" should be like. (A check is where you make a girl think she is going one way and then you surprise her by pushing her another way)
Remember....EVERYTHING you learn in level 1 are the foundation blocks for everything you'll be learning in higher levels!

As for my likes and dislikes in salsa...

Dislikes:
- When a guy does not guage how crowded it is in a salsa club and dances with huge movements and spins me too hard so that i bump into other couples. If there is limited space, it's important to dance small and keep close. Guys need to make sure that the path is clear behind the girl before leading her into a blind turn.
- OFF-timing. I would rather dance with simple moves on the right timing than dance fancy moves off time.

- When guys, even beginners, ask me to dance...that's the spirit! Don't be shy!
- Eye contact and playfulness. Salsa is all about the partners' connection and fun.
- Watching and learning from other dancers
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't have any preferences.

Even if its the girls first dance, screw ups are what makes it fun. I love laughing as we both screw up a simple move.

I only have one dislike ODOUR. Please no garlic, onions (including green onions), fish, Greek food, you all know what I mean. Mouth wash, and gum does not help. After you eat the above noted foods, it exits from your sweat glands and everyone in the club will know what you had for dinner (including the DJ).

Essentially, please do not eat anyting too funky or exotic 2-3 hours before dancing. Oh, one more thing, people passing gas on the dance floor. Thats never fun.

Other than that, I just like dancing.
Valentin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Likes & Dislikes about your dance partners! Reply with quote

Sephiralenden wrote:

I dislike...
When a girl brings my hand down after a turn when I intend to do a you-turn-I-turn!
...perhaps I should just say backleading in general

You can still make your turn even when your hand is down. You just switch the hands on 2, finish your turn on 3 and then lead (with your right hand!) the girl in a reverse turn on 5. Naturally in the end of the figure the left hands will connect under the right hands, as the right hands are already connected and moving down from above. To continue from the "right hand on top", for level 1, you can do combs on 3 and 5 so you get in the closed position.

That's it, but anyway, in the regular U-Turn-I-Turn (w/o hand switch) you should keep your (left) hand high and firm enough, and during the move (6-7) twist your hand so that on 7 the palm is facing upwards and the fingers are stretched. Thus the girl's fingers will pivot easily upon your fingers while you're turning.
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea we learned that but it still throws me off, especially as a beginner. It's not as easy for me to just improvise in to a different hand position and do sort-of the same move that I intended. Cause at that point I probably would have planned what to do after I turned which of course would have to be different if I did it behind the back.
KT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvisation is half the fun when it comes to dancing. The last thing you want to do is to dance like a TDS clone. Imagine how silly it will look if everyone does the exact same thing, the exact same way, in the exact same order. The girls will get bored and stop paying attention because they know exactly what is coming up next. It's also a bit of a dancing faux pas to go on the dancefloor with one set routine in mind and execute it with every girl you dance with. A great dancer should be able to read and adjust to each partner they dance with - whether it be their dance skills, comfort level, even body shapes! Obviously you can't execute advance moves on beginners, or be very close to someone who is clearly not comfortable. Also, some moves are hard to do because of height / size differences and you will have to be flexible and be creative to work around that. The combinations we teach in class should be use as a starting template for you to get creative and mix and match and combine different moves together... or better yet, make up your own moves! All the moves you've learned came from somebody, somewhere, who probably made it up some point in time!

What I like about my partner is the "fun factor". Whether it is just that cheekyness of trying new moves and tricks, a compliment on how well you're dancing, laughing it off when we goof up a move... or a simple smile on their face! Dancing should be fun, and when you're relaxed and having fun, your partner will relax and have fun as well. Dancing requires alot of connection between the partners (physical and mental) as well as communication (often non-verbal... so please give lots of eye contact). A partner who can "read" you is also very important - if a girl is stumbling over a single turn, don't give her a double... if she's got shorter arms, don't attempt pretzel-like types of moves.

What I don't like about my partner, as mentioned by other people... bad odour and poor hygiene is definately the top of my list. Lack of dance ettiquette is also another petpeeve of mine - ie. walking away in the middle of a dance, snubbing or snobby-ness, "inappropriate touching". Other dislikes are more along the lines of lack of technique - off time, rushing through a move, executing a move when the girl is not ready, dangerously executing a move resulting in someone getting hurt, throwing me into other people / things.
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh I would never go out with a set routine. That'd not only be boring for the girl (if she's seen it or danced with you before) but that'd be boring for the lead as well. Trust me, I'm sure every guy is conscientious about trying to impress or not bore their dance partner! (it's a large part of why guys -- including myself *sometimes* -- are shy about asking girls who are far more advanced) I do make a point to dance with all the helpers though.

On a more positive note, I love it when my dancer partner says let's try that again after I mess up trying a new move. It's so encouraging!

Off-topic...

Anyone ever.. (this might sound silly)... pretend dance in their head? like if I'm at home listening to salsa music I might like make up combos in my head along with the music. Well... I suppose girls wouldn't really do that lol
KT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not silly at all... I'm sure everyone's done it one point or another... it's quite funny when you start to sway to the music and not realize that other people are watching.

Girls do it too, even though we don't have much control over what the guy decides to lead. But we do have shines and body movements etc. I "shine" in my head! Very Happy
EmT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked if that's silly then that must mean I belong to an insane asylum. I'm constantly moving and dancing in and out of my head. You should see me on the bus stop doing my body waves and shoulder shimmies...I get quite the attention Embarassed
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmT wrote:
Shocked if that's silly then that must mean I belong to an insane asylum. I'm constantly moving and dancing in and out of my head. You should see me on the bus stop doing my body waves and shoulder shimmies...I get quite the attention Embarassed

Haha I've had the pleasure of seeing you grooving to your own beat when there's no music playing and you're between classes. It's cute Razz Once I learn shines I'm sure I'll catch myself doing them thoughtlessly too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: