Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should We Have A Student & Helper of the Month?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should We Have A Student & Helper of the Month?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Should We Have A Student & Helper of the Month? Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Burak, one of our helpers, came up with a great idea a few months ago: to have a Student of the Month and profile them on the website. So it would work like this poll and everyone can submit a reason why they would like to vote for the student. I also thought it would be a great idea to do this for the helpers as they work so hard and are so dedicated. What do you all think?

Please provide comments on if this is a good idea, how we can do this and make it popular and easy for people to vote and what someone should get if they win.

Thanks for all your thoughts!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Evan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Student of the month Reply with quote

Great idea! I love it!

Evan.
pegajena

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to understand how will it work !? Will the students in one class vote for one of their classmates, who they believe dances the best? And for one of their helpers who is the most helpful?
michel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with this idea.
even though i have only taken a few lessons i have already formed an opinion about the helpers.
they are all wonderful , helpful, kind and unbeliebly dedicated to what they are doing.
do you really want me to pick each month one over another? i simply can not do that.
think of the helpers: what if someone is not nominated for several months? what will it do to his/her moral, self esteem? are they not as good as the others?
the "person of the month", in my opinion works in a competitive environment when one wants to outdo the others and to encourage the others to work harder so they will hopefully achieve that status in the next month. I don't think this should apply here as i see all as equal and doing a great job.
I do have a suggestion though: How about the school organizes once a year (before christmas would be nice) a "helpers appreciation night" wher all the helpers are taken out to a dinner (could be as part of a school outing in a place that has a restaurant too), all the people that come to that outing will pay extra as a door fee and that will cover the helpers bill for the dinner.

Last edited by michel on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Michel. I take the helpers out every semester for an appreciation day. Last semester was a day river tubing at the Elora Gorge, the time before was a vollyeball BBQ with Go Karting, the time before Sushi and Bowling. We always do a helpers only outing quarterly for them.

As for Pegajena's question about how this would work, fellow students would nominate a student in their class that maybe is the kindest, or hardest working or has made the most improvements and would include a comment as to they should be nominate. Same for helpers.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's opinion. Obviously we would only do this if the concensus was it that it is a great recognition idea.

Thanks!
David

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with michel on this. Its just going to turn into a popularity contest, which is never good for anyone.

From some of the classes I've been helping out with, I've seen some of the students practicing outside of lessons (i.e. toronto salsa practice). Not everyone would see the dedication they put into it out side of class, things like that would not be known by the others.

I would rather get compliments from fellow students/helpers then see this vote be in placed anyday.
michel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharon, it is great what you are doing for the helpers (can't wait to be a helper some day).
my dinner idea is a sort of student's appreciation for the helpers.
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think that a "Helper/Student" award is really necessary.

I believe in the private approach. If a student has contributed to the overall experience, I think a private thanks, is enough. Helpers and classmates can all still email Sharon with comments on a student. Then Sharon can pass that information on to the student for a job well done.

I think it would be great to allow a student to say thanks or to regonize a helper for job well done, but I think it should be done privately to Sharon. The students may want to write to Sharon privately, to thank that helper or to say that he/or she has doen a great job. Or if a helper is not doing his/or her job, again students can privately tell Sharon, to allow more feedback.

It is a great idea, but I think Sharon can request a name of a helper that has done a great job in the Feedback Forms that are done at the end of every semester and to be used for positive reinforcement or ways to positively improve.

As a helper, I would love some feedback as to what I'm doing well, or what I can improve on to make the students experience better. I just don't think a reward is necessary. Our appreciation days are awesome, and thats more than enough for me.
KT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like the idea of "recognition" for helpers and students, I'm not too fond of the idea of voting or rewards, which will essentially lead to a popularity contest. As a helper, seeing the students improve each class, or a simple smile and 'thank you', is rewarding enough!

I think all of our helpers have such a passion and dedication to salsa, that we should be acknowledged. Perhaps we can have an area for small bios or profiles of the helpers. It will give students and other helpers a better idea of who we are, as well as what kind of dance background we have.

As for student acknowledgment, how about something like "Salsa story" of the month? Where students can submit a piece about their salsa experience, for example, salsa inspirations, challenges and struggles, or meeting the love of their life on the dance floor Very Happy
michel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"salsa story" is a great idea in my opinion and should be a category by itself in the forum board.
on a different subject - i think this board has to be promoted to all the students with a highlited message on the next e-vite. the school has hundreds of students but only a handful of registered guests on the forum board.
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Salsa Story piece is a great idea! I have been wanting to add a section in the website called "Changing Lives" and have stories of how salsa has changed the lives of our students. Maybe the forum is a good place to start this.

A lot of our helpers change every semester. In terms of updating our website with bios and photos of every helper, that would be very difficult. We definitely will update the photos and we usually do this when we have our own helper outing but I think bios for 50 helpers will be very hard to maintain.

If everyone else could comment on whether we should add a new section to the forum about how salsa changed their lives, it would be great!
lindiloo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon wrote:
A Salsa Story piece is a great idea! I have been wanting to add a section in the website called "Changing Lives" and have stories of how salsa has changed the lives of our students. Maybe the forum is a good place to start this.

Sharon, I was just about to start a thread on "Your Salsa story" !!
I liked KT's idea of people's salsa experiences, inspirations, challenges and struggles....
KT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

I really like the idea of sharing salsa stories, as I have heard so many amazing salsa stories just amongst TDS students, and they were all very heartwarming and inspirational!

As for helpers bio, I was thinking something a little more self-managing, perhaps a "Meet Your Helper" link in the forum, where we can post a blurb to share a little bit about ourselves (optional of course). I think there is a level of interest and curiousity from both the students as well as other helpers to learn more about one another. There are many helpers who I have never worked with or met, and would definately like to get to know...

Just a thought! Very Happy
Katie
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: New forums sections Reply with quote

Hey KT!

We just added a new section for helpers as per your suggestion! I think you should be the first to put in your story/comments!

We also added a suggestion section so if you have any suggestions feel free to place them there!

Thanks for the feedback!
AMR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Awards Reply with quote

I have to agree that I think having a student/helper of the month would breed unhealthy competitiveness. I already hear comments from people about racing to catch up to their peers .. but this isn't a race, it's something we do for fun and to meet people with similar interests. Some people have more opportunites to practice or go out dancing than others do, and that's fine. But those that don't shouldn't have to feel the need to compete.

The helpers are awesome, and their feedback to us students is undeniably strengthening our dance skills. They get to experience first hand our weaknessess or strengths and can therefore provide direct and specific critiques to improve our skills, and for that we appreciate them immensely... maybe we, as students, need to vocalize that a little bit more often to our own favourite helpers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: