Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What "makes" your salsa night a great one??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindiloo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: What "makes" your salsa night a great one?? Reply with quote

Sometimes, I find myself popping by a club for a short while, not expecting much from the night, and come away feeling so glad I stopped by...

Tonight, I went out just for an hour or so after class and didn't think the night was going to be the best, as many familiar faces were a no-show and I was a little tired...but then I had this amazing dance with someone I've never danced with before - that made the night so worth it!

Every move just felt so natural - just seemed to flow from one to the next and complimented the music. He also led me into triple spins Very Happy with such ease that I didn't even have to think about it, it just happened so easily and it really made me feel confident...I couldn't stop smiling during the dance because it was so much fun!

So...what "makes" your night? A great dance with a new partner? A fun dance with a familiar partner? The music? The atmosphere?
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great question. When i go to "regular nightclubs" there are so many factors that make or break the night...like people you're with, ambiance of the club, music mix, how long the lines are, what mood i'm in....etc. But I've found that pretty much any night I go to a salsa club is a guaranteed good time. However the following will make the night a great night:
1. Familiar faces (gotta love TDS for being out there on a regular basis...i'm bound to run into someone i know!)
2. Learning a new technique or new move with an experimental dancer.
3. Nice steady stream of salsa music with some bachata and merengue thrown in for a break.
4. A positive and encouraging atmosphere where guys and girls are there primarily to dance and not pick up.
5. Dancing with newbies and contributing to their love of salsa
lindiloo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on all of the above also of what "makes" my salsa night... Razz
lindiloo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night at Plaza was a GREAT NIGHT! Thanks to everyone for making it so fabulously fun.
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaza Flamingo was amazing on Friday. Good to see so many studnets out there dancing! What makes a great dance night is dancing with new dancers you have never asked before. I am always surprised at how good even beginner women are in comparison to how bad I was! The DJ also makes the night if he is good. Babaluus has great music and so does El Rancho.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They played the reggaeton early at Plaza tho....I love reggaeton but i was really in the mood for salsa. Unfortunately i was so tired to wait till it was over that i ended up going home. I still had a lot of fun tho!
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A positive and encouraging atmosphere where guys and girls are there primarily to dance and not pick up.

I'm a guy, and even I get tired of going to regular clubs where I look on the dance floor and see every girl surrounded by guys like they're a peice of meat for the vultures. Which in turn makes the girls not very receptive to *anything*.

I did happen to go to rumours last weekend though, and there was a couple dancing off to the side, near the bar and they were doing some swing and some salsa. I started chatting with them and ended up dancing with the girl a bit, and that totally made my night. It was really nice to see some actual dancing going on and not just grinding. They were also really nice people, and very easy to approach and talk to. That's what I like about the salsa community from what I've seen so far.
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great question lindiloo...I love this post!

For me, a great night is a combination of a good vibe in the club (everyone is dancing, having a great time, keeping their own space, not bumping into anyone), an amazing DJ with all my favourite songs, and a combination of friends that I like to dance with and new dance partners. I alway like dancing with new people and while I know most of the regular dancers in the scene, it is so nice to dance with a new dancer.

Even if I have 1 amazing dance, that can make my night. A dance where the two partners are connected and are feeling the music together and the man challenges the woman, that is the ultimate fun!

Looking forward to reading everyone else's great night stories!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
michel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to second lindiloo's opinion:
"but then I had this amazing dance with someone I've never danced with before - that made the night so worth it! "
lat night i went to Vida with not much expecattion.
one merengue dance with Sara, made the evening great for me.
thanks Sara.
Salsa Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Great night Reply with quote

I thought Vida was a great night - danced with so many nice people there and it was so casual and fun. Also not as hot as some of the other palces we went to in the past. Can't wait to go again!
Toby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Vida Reply with quote

Yeah I had an crazy time at Vida it was so much fun. The upstairs did get warm but then you could cool off downstairs although the upstairs had more vibe there. The DJ played really good medium tempo music and nly a little bit of bacheta and meringue so it was lots of fun and good practice.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww.. i wish i could have been there. Who's coming to the last outing at Montana? Should be interesting as it's a new venue!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: