Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: Should we host an amateur salsa competition?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we host an amateur salsa competition?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 21 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: POLL: Should we host an amateur salsa competition? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

What do you think of having an informal salsa competition for Toronto Dance Salsa students/helpers in the new year?

Would love your input!!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Salsaddict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea! I think there is tons of talent within the student base and it will be great to showcase it.
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this IS interesting..... it would be great to have the informal competition during our salsa outings (or maybe every other salsa outings). Very Happy

Now, i think this is where the "dance partner" forum comes in...... since it's an informal competition, people might be interested in partnering up and having to practice their routines when they decide to be a part of it.
KT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's definately an area worth exploring. We can have salsa freestyle competitions, as well as salsa routines!
SalsaMan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Toronto Salsa Competitions Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea Sharon! I think it's a lot of work to do a performance type of competition but some freestyling as KT suggests too is great!

I can't wait to see it in action! It will add a lot to the already fantastic outings!!!
Toby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Salsa Competitions Reply with quote

Alright get out the costumes! Yeah I think it would be great fun to do a competition. I hope enough people enter it. I like the idea of freestyle but I also think a routine is a good idea because it forces you to take it seriously and memorize, apply yourself.

Who's in??????
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea sharon!
EmT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a costume ready Laughing It's gonna be some tight competition
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: POLL: Should we host an amateur salsa competition? Reply with quote

So far everyone is in agreement - any other responses?

Would everyone find partners on their own or would we finally have to implement the dnace partner forum?

How do you guys see us splitting the beginners from the intermediate dancers so that it is fair and no one is intimidated?

Thanks for your feedback!
J_Lapinoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this Idea!

My suggestions would be to divide up the student body into 3 groupings.

Beginner (levels 1-2)

Intermediate (levels 3-4)

Advanced (levels 5-6 & Helpers)

Very Happy
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

That was my initial thought but it is quite time consuming and if we are doing this in the middle of an outing people would not want to give up that much dance time. What does everyone think of Level 1-2 and then a levels 3 and up?
EmT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try splitting 'em up as beginner's night one outing, intermediate night another and advanced night for another. As well, you can limit the number of contestants per night, such as only 3 (or however many) per night and tehy all come back another time for semis, and finals another night!
MissChievous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this event should look more like the real competition. More emphasis on competition rather on outing. Maybe one outing should be dedicated just to competition so it feels very special.

Just a thought....
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Emely, splitting it up per outing and having a limit on how many performers/contestants per night. Or maybe try like an American Idol style elimination round, have a limit as to how long the performance will be and have the next outing as the decision/awards night? How's that? Very Happy
KT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the American Idol idea. Maybe we can even showcase the competitors on the website, and then vote for them online as you would for Idol. Only problem is, some people might just want to do a one time deal, and might not want to come back outing after outing to compete.

I also like a competition night for the individual levels. I think if you put different levels all competing the same night, it might be too overwhelming and intimidating for the lower levels. People might end up comparing a beginner routine to an advanced routine and that doesn't seem to be fair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: