Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New dance shoe store discovery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shines

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Jitterbug Gels Reply with quote

No, these are totally different products. Grips/toe thongs/foot undies are all geared towards modern and lyrical dance that is traditionally danced barefoot. Some dancers end up using these to prevent blisters and floor burn when they're doing lots of turns/pirouettes in a routine. The goal of this type of "shoe" is to come as close to being barefoot as possible, so there's really not much/if any cushioning.
On the other hand, the bunheads line of products is catered to ballet dancers who use pointe shoes. Here the goal is to prevent blisters(among other ugly foot ailments) using as little space as possible. Bunheads is famous for it's "ouch pouch" which is made up of a thin solid gel layer that is covered in fabric(and is washable!). They love to advertise that the gel doesn’t migrate, so it won’t bottom out.
http://www.bunheads.com/gel/OuchPouch.html
While these are very easy to find in any store that sells pointe shoes, it's probably not the ideal product for a salsa dancer. The difference is that ballet dancers want the cushioning for the tops of their toes and not the balls of their feet.
For some reason the "Jitterbug Gels" aren't shown on the bunheads website. Maybe they got discontinued because they just wanted to focus on the ballet crowd? The Jitterbug Gels are definitely just for the ballroom/salsa/tap crowd. I would be really interested in trying them if anyone finds a store that sells them.
Msjaye, Did you buy yours online?
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice i just found the dr. scholls at rexall... i'm going to give them a try! Smile
msjaye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shines!!
I actually purchased them at a dance store in New York and found them online afterwards. I have tried all kinds of products and like the Jitterbugs the best. They are much softer than regular gel pads and cost about the same as the good gel pads from Dr. Scholl's. Also, these are "portable" and can be used with any shoes, whereas regular insoles use adhesives to prevent them from moving around. Overall I think these are a good investment and would recommend them if you don't have any luck with the regular insoles (tho some people find Dr. Scholl's works wonders!!).

Kimberlita brought up a good suggestion about making your own. If regular gel-toe-insoles work well for you, I suppose you can stitch a cloth cover around it and attach a tiny elastic to secure to your toe. This allows you to use them with any shoes, rather than having to buy one for each pair that you own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: