Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning with different instructors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Learning with different instructors Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I am completely new to the dancing but did a lot of other competitive sports in my life. Now just want to learn how to dance well and meet new ppl Smile
I am taking my Thursday’s 1st level classes with Sharon starting in January.
My question: is it worth to take other classes with different instructors in different places on 1st level?
I found at least 3 more Salsa schools that can fill my week full, plus maybe 1-2 practices on the weekends… I like training so physical part won’t be a problem, how about other aspects?
Let me know what you think guys.

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex.

Here is my 2 cents.

I started dancing last January (Ballroom) and Started Salsa over the summer. During that time I've worked my way up to Start level 5 in Ballroom and Level 3 in Salsa this January. I am totally and complety addicted to dance of all sorts now and just can't get enough. My biggest problem is what to do after I run out of courses at the Toronto Dance Schools.

I don't take formal classes anywhere else other then at Toronto Dance.. I get in about 4 hours of practice a week for Ballroom and maybe another 3 or 4 for Salsa. Practice, Practice, Practice..

I don't recomend taking other formal classes at the same time for the same style of dance. Reason is it will confuse you. Each school will teach things slightly differently then the next and this will confuse you in class and may actually slow you down. I suggest that if you are looking for something regular to fill you week, that you a) you get in as much Practice as you can and b) if you really want to take other classes that you take it in another style of dance (ie Latin/Ballroom). Toronto Dance has a Ballroom class starting In January as well and I believe still has space. Taking different Styles will improve your general dancing ability.

If your still bent on taking another concurrent Salsa class then I would see about taking a class with Caryl. The Sylabus will be the same but here teaching style is slightly different. Maybe you can swing a deal with the school for a discount.

Hope this helps.

(any Spelling Mistakes are the property of the author and was made on purpose)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm don't think it's neccesarily a smart thing to put all your eggs in 1 basket, I think it's a little unnecessary to be taking classes with different dance schools, in level 1. I do however, think one can definately benefit from additional classes and also learning from different instructors in the intermediate and advanced levels. Reason being, while every instructor will teach something slightly different, the majority of the material in ANY beginners class will most likely be repeative and therefore will not really help you excel. You will however, gain alot more practice by attending more classes, but you can achieve the same goal by regularly attending salsa clubs and salsa practices.

I would suggest "filling up your week" by going to salsa clubs, as there is a club open very night of the week. The club experience is great because you can practice what you learned as well as seeing what other people are doing... be inspired AND "steal" moves from other dancers. And while you're there, you should definately take advantage of the lessons at the salsa clubs, they are complimentary with cover.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Salsa Classes Reply with quote

I originally was at a different school and switched to Toronto Dance Salsa. I loved Sharon's teaching much more than the other school and stayed. You can get practice by going to different clubs as KT suggested and you can also come to the outings and learn new moves.

As you get higher up in the school more classes open up to you that are fun. Maybe you can do 2 level 1s to get practice as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone above. At the beginner level you probably won't gain much from taking multiple classes since the salsa basics are all the same. When you get to the higher levels you will definitely benefit from taking classes/ with different instructors as each instructor has their preferred techniques and teaching style.

Other options you have are to take a few private lessons or attend workshops. I actually recommend privates for beginners to learn proper technique- it is very hard to break out of bad habits after you have been dancing for awhile. Workshops are a great way to learn new steps/movements that you can incorporate to what you are learning in your classes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: two cents Reply with quote

I think TDS although providing a great foundation for excellence, it is important to diversify your experience so that you can dance with people of different styles at clubs. Lets face it, girls get bored when you do your in-and-outs, rainbow, lassos, and spider turns, cocacolas over and over!! .... you need to add some spice to your salsa! Even if you take private lessons, you're learning the same moves.... I wouldn't waste money taking expensive privates..... Instead, I would put more money into going to different schools, and experimenting with different styles other than TDS.

From a guys perspective, if you want to progress as a leader you need to go to different schools and interact with different instructors. EVERYONE has something to offer you and although I would agree with KT that at the begginer level (1 & 2) at TDS are probably the best... I would say you wouldn't see true progress at TDS until you hit Level 3, 4 and 5.....

However, if you truely are serious about becoming a good dancer.... once you hit Level 3.... I would spend a little more money and time and take lessons at other schools from different instructors... in addition to your time at TDS. Ultimately, practice makes perfect and more knowledge is more power....

If you would like to learn some new moves outside of TDS I would say head to Babalulu's on Tuesday's, and Alley Catz on Monday's.... Babalulu's on Wednesday's is FREE and a good time to practice anyday/time...

I currently go out dancing 3 to 4 times a week on top of my lessons... I can tell you that I have improved substantially.... To be a good leader, you need to pull all the stops and dance your feet off.. hard work and a willingness to try different instructors.. are keys to improving your salsa game.

A helpful hint.... never the same one twice in the same night!... You need to be able to dance with both bad and good dancers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: