Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TDS socials and practice sessions – why they are a good idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: TDS socials and practice sessions – why they are a good idea Reply with quote

There are steps that you learn in class but how many times have you come back to class the following week and forgotten everything that you learned a week ago? This is where repetition helps.

It’s important to practice what you learn so you are able to retain it and better able to focus on the new steps/turn patterns that are being taught the next week. The last thing you want is to be in class being completely distracted as you try to remember the steps from last week’s class while trying to learn the new material at the same time. Going out to practice once that week will help a lot in terms improving your familiarity with the moves and able to remember it next week. When I first started learning, I found that spending 5-10 minutes after class just reviewing the moves that we just learned, helped out a lot.

I know that there isn’t a lot of time after class to linger and practice. If you have classes on Sundays the socials from 6-9pm are a good time to practice. If your classes aren’t on Sunday but are at Empress, what I saw last week was a couple outside of the studio practicing their turn patterns in order to reinforce what they’d learned in the walkway just outside the studio. Whatever works!

Last edited by roadee on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep again I agree. The socials really changed my dancing and my social life. You make friends so quickly and it is nice to come every Sunday and see your friends. New people are coming all the time so hope to see you all out practicing!
Evan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was learning I found it useful to quickly repeat the moves I had learned in class by myself when I got home. Practicing alone just for a few minutes the same night you learned something really helps you remember it.

The socials I agree are a great place to practice as well - everyone is learning so the atmosphere is much more easy-going than going to a club. If you come for a few weeks in a row you also get to make friends and become part of the family! Every time you come you'll get asked to dance more and more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: