Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning through Videos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Learning through Videos? Reply with quote

Hey guys I was just wondering what do you guys think of learning through videos? I know its not the ideal way to learn but I found this website that has tons of videos and it shows you step by step how to dance. Do you think its smart to try and learn this way before I take formal classes?

I am going to take beginners classes and finish the course twice before I take private lessons.

So should I study the videos too will that help or just confuse me?
Toby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: DVDs Reply with quote

Hey Robert, DVDs are great supplemental learning I think because you can do them at your house on your own time on your own pace and learn the footwork and arm movement. If you have someone to practice with it is even better. So it is definitely helpful to get started. But I find that they can't help you in full. Classes are really the best way to learn especially if you are rotating so you can practice on with many types of followers and you can get feedback about what you are doing. If you learn the wrong way off a DVD and no one corrects you then that bad habit is going to be ingrained and it will be difficult to break.

Just my two cents - Toby
Yannick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning through Videos? Reply with quote

robert4 wrote:
Hey guys I was just wondering what do you guys think of learning through videos? I know its not the ideal way to learn but I found this website that has tons of videos and it shows you step by step how to dance. Do you think its smart to try and learn this way before I take formal classes?

I am going to take beginners classes and finish the course twice before I take private lessons.

So should I study the videos too will that help or just confuse me?

Great topic!

I absolutely love learning through training videos. When I was in my "learn a new move per day" phase, I would scour youtube for "cool moves" executed by world renowned dancers.

There is, however, one stipulation I believe is important to address. I would not recommend learning by watching videos without having first taken classes. And I mean, A LOT of classes! For when you are in class, you have the advantage of asking questions, seeing the steps repeated from different angles, and then dancing them out with multiple partners.

Although it may seem like a good idea at first to learn from videos on a website (especially at no cost), they are no where as near high a calibre as getting in-class instruction from your local salsa school. This is especially true in the early stages when developing proper form and technique is paramount.

Once you grasp some basic concepts, such as weight transfers, hand placements, applying tension, etc, it will only strenghen the mental aspect of learning so that the next time you do look up some videos on youtube or what have you, your brain will be able to more quickly dissect what you see on the screen.

As an aside, I once constructed a salsa partner using some duct tape and bubble wrap. Because I could not yet visualize where to place my hands, I used this salsa dummy to help me understand how I could get out of awkward hand positions (and I found myself in a lot of awkward positions!). I used this dummy to practice new moves I found on video. Not saying that anyone should do what I did, but it did help me along in my salsa journey.

Good luck and enjoy the wonderful world of salsa!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: