Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner's Shoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Beginner's Shoes Reply with quote

Would you recommend learning in flats or heels?
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Flats or Heels? Reply with quote

Hi Noreen!

Great question! I think the answer depends on your comfort level. If you never wear heels them maybe now is not the time to start. However, if you wear heels occasionally or more often, then heels are always a better choice because they provide you with better posture as you are leaning into the balls of your feet and make you look a lot better.

I started dancing in heels and after a few years I was dancing so often I slowly started wearing flats. I noticed, though, that my body movement was not as graceful or sexy. Recently I have started back up with high heels and I am very pleased with the difference in my body movement and how I feel.

So if you are comfortable in heels, even 2 inch heel will do!

Good luck Smile
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
roadee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharon.

I have a related question about salsa shoes and heel heights.

I'm wondering, if there is a certain (minimum) heel height that is recommended in order to gain the benefits of posture, dancing on the balls of your feet and weight transfer?

I've seen people dancing in 3" and 3.5" dance shoes (which look great but I wonder how comfortable they really are after about an hour of dancing).

Is the higher the heel the better? Or is it just personal preference?
Noreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: heels Reply with quote

Thanks Sharon!

I'd like to know about the best heel height as well.
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Heel heights Reply with quote

Hi Roadee and Noreen!

I don't think the higher the heel the better. I think anything higher than 1.5 inches is fine. 2 - 3 inches is probably ideal.

Anything above 3 inches and it is going to get mighty uncomfortable if you plan on doing hours of dancing. I would love to be able to wear the super high sexy heels but for most people it is just not comfortable enough and I would rather dance longer in shorter heels than have to rest often.

I just bought a pair of 2 inch heels that are slim heel which is hard to find, from Addicted 2 Dance Shoes and they are super comfortable and actually look fairly sexy. I wish they made slim heel short heels more available. I hate the chunky Cuban heel Sad

If anyone else has found slim low heels I would love to hear about it!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
roadee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharon.

I know that there are some brands of dancing shoes where you can customize the heel height/shape and width (if you have wide feet). I know that International Dance Shoes has this option. http://www.ids-danceshoes.co.uk/2008/size_chart2.htm

But unfortunately, the slim heels tend to be for the 3" option. Wink

I believe there is only one store in Toronto that carries International Dance shoes and they are in Etobicoke - Dance Plus - www.danceplus.com (it's a ballroom store) . However, they can measure your foot and place an order with your preferred finish, heel height etc.

I will keep an eye out for the slim/shorter heels for you and will let you know!
roadee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Dance shoes with slim heel Reply with quote

Hello.

I came across this website for Natural Spin Dancewear in Toronto. They seem to have a large variety of latin shoes with slim heels to choose from.

http://www.naturalspindancewear.com/salsa-dance-shoes-c-237.html

I haven't purchased shoes from here, but some of these styles look really nice. Thought you might want to check it out. Good-luck!

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Music and Shoes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: