Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

instructional salsa dance video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: instructional salsa dance video Reply with quote

does anybody (sharon?) know of a good salsa dance instructional video?
i keep forgetting moves between lessons.
snowhite22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I don't know about any long videos but I do know that if you go to www.youtube.com and type "learn salsa" on the serch line- you'll find LOTS of short videos showing different salsa combos.

here is one I found just now, they actualy have about 20 apisods so its really cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4m823r3RY
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: salsa videos Reply with quote

Also try: www.adicted2salsa.com[url]
KT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: dance video clips Reply with quote

You can also check out

http://www.imambo.tv/mambo/index.php

They might ask you to Sign In, but it's free to sign up.

Hope it helps!
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel,

For salsa DVDs I actually don't encourage it within the first two levels because every instructor has a different teaching method, moves and style of salsa and it can just end up being too confusing. However after level 2 I highly recommen expanding your learning range. The best turnpattern DVD that I have come across is Super Mario from the UK. Many DVDs fall short on proper teaching techniques but Super Mario has a progressive 5 series DVD selection that is quite good.

Hope that helps!

Sharon
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Recommendation on DVDs Reply with quote

I've watched and purchased a number of salsa instructional videos, and have a few comments and recommendations to share.

I think videos are an inexpensive way to expand your repertoire of turn patterns; however, this is not without caveats and in no way can replace instructor based learning. The difficulty in executing completely new moves from an instructional video is that there is nobody to correct you or provide clarity on the nuances of the particular move. For many that learn from a video, you'll try out the moves and practice the patterns over and over to commit it to memory. As with a golf or tennis swing, learning can be difficult, but unlearning a bad habit can be even more difficult.

I think often, intermediate dancers will mistake the execution of turn patterns and building the ability to execute as many as possible in a dance as being an advanced or good dancer. Taking for Ismael Otero, it is being grounded in the foundation of basics and dancing to the music that defines a good dancer. I think we've all seen the dancers who know an endless number of combos and take a girl through as many as they can on the dance floor. This can be both un-sexy to look at or follow to. Sometimes I call this robot dancing. Who wants to dance with a robot? If you want to improve your technique and overall dance appeal, the best way to do it is to get a video camera and film yourself dancing. It might be painful to watch at first, but the idea is that it is difficult to see how you look even when you're in front of mirrors. Looking good while executing a few basic steps and patterns is even more difficult than learning advanced patterns, and is not something you can learn from a video.

That isn't to say that having the ability to put combos together is unnecessary, but focusing on being able to dance to the music and lead followers through leadable patterns that look good is the key.

One thing I've painfully learned is that dips, lifts and tricks are definitely an area of salsa that is best left for instructor based learning. Advanced moves in the category of dips and tricks can be downright dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. So I'd stay away from those unless both leader and follower are dancers with advanced dance training.

With all that said, I agree with Sharon that Super Mario has the best set of DVDs out there. His teaching is clear and concise and has a strong focus on technique. His patterns look cool, but are very leadable.

If anyone is interested in improving their Bachata, DJ Tony is the equivalent to Super Mario in my mind. http://www.ilovebachata.com/pages/dvd.htm His DVDs are fun and his moves are very sexy and leadable. With his videos you'll bring your Bachata to a whole new level.

Have fun!
Alfred
Evan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Practice! Reply with quote

Great post Alfred!

Michel - if you keep forgetting the moves you need to practice more! It's really hard to just dance in a class once a week. I didn't really start remembering the moves until I went out to a club between classes to practice them. Come to the outings every 2 weeks, go to the various clubs around Toronto during the week and on weekends - there are lots of Toronto Dance Students who go out as well and many people for you to dance with.

Evan.
Salsa-in-review

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Shadow dancing Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts on Evan's good recommendation of practice for remembering turn patterns. For myself, it is impossible for me to remember a new turn-pattern after a single one-hour lesson. It is not easy for us men! I employ the following methods to assist me at remembering a pattern, hope some of these help:

1) Practice, practice, practice. No seriously, even if it is just five minutes a day, if you practice a new pattern at least five minutes a day, I guarantee you'll remember it the following week.
2) Learn to shadow dance. If you can run through the moves without a partner, you'll be able to practice and commit to memory more easily and develop an better awareness of where your body should be. If you can actually visualize and repeat a move without a partner, when you are with a partner things become amazingly less difficult. Think it sounds silly to shadow dance by yourself? I'd take being silly alone, than silly in public anytime!
3) Master the basics. Sometimes I see people struggle through turn patterns because they are not confident about some of the basics. Remember that most turn patterns are simply a chaining together of many basics. If you're constantly trying to recall what an in and out, a cross-body lead with an inside turn, or a hook turn are then you'll have difficulties when you're putting it all together with a new move thrown in.
4) Love your video camera. Not only is a video camera great for evaluating your dancing, it's a great way to remember the patterns you've learned. This is of course is useless if all you're doing is getting home, recording the pattern and then you never practice it. So remember the most important aspect is practice, practice practice!

See you on the dancefloor,
Alfred
michel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good advise. thanks.
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Michel, keep it fun. Never over do it, just in moderation. Too many people burn out. Good Luck to you.
lindiloo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about shines/footwork or styling DVDs?

I was thinking of getting one...any recommendations?
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question...if I was to purchase a ladies styling DVD it would be Grizelle Ponce's DVD. For body movement, I would do Frankie Martinuez. For shines, hmmmm, I haven't come across many great ones. Does anyone else have suggestions?

Let me know how they are. Actually I will probably coerce you into lending them to me Smile

How is the ladies styling class coming along?
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
lindiloo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Styling class is great. I love the challenge!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Our very own Toronto Dance Salsa Instructional DVD Reply with quote

Are you having trouble remembering EVERYTHING learned in level 1 but are keen to master your basic moves and build enough confidence to attempt cool turn patterns?

GOOD NEWS!! Sharon is almost finished putting together the long anticipated TDS Instructional DVD.
I had a sneak peak of the DVD and let me just tell you that it looks AMAZING!
The DVD is really professional and fun, and all of Sharon's energy and easy to learn step-by-step instruction is captured in about 2 hours of TV time! It's enough to let you commit all of the moves to memory so you can practice at home alone or with friends.
garish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, is there anyone who has the instruction video bachata italian style vol.3 by Tony Lara? As a bachata lover, I would really appreciate it if someone can lend it to me... i am even willing to pay to make a copy.
thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: