Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transitioning from a salsa song to a raggaeton song?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennym

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Transitioning from a salsa song to a raggaeton song? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been at several outings at plaza flamingo... sometimes the salsa songs transition into raggaeton... The trouble is I've often just started dancing with the girl right when this happens. About half the time she seems to want to keep going and starts dancing to the raggaeton. I realize that a lot of salsa dancers use these songs to take a break from dancing until the salsa comes back, but I would like to keep dancing especially if my partner wants to.
I have no idea how to step to this music. I know with hip-hop songs all I have to do is listen for the snare drum and step to that, but how do I dance to raggaeton?
Is there someone who can show me or an online resource of some sort?

Thanks for the help!

K
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that is a really good question. Have you tried youtube for videos on it. It is a great source for learning hard to find subjects.

Good luck with it!!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a reggaeton beat very neatly fits the salsa moves you were doing right before it started playing, so one of the options is just to continue, adding some extra body movement - shakes, rolls, waves, and freestyling. Just a suggestion. (Can't say anything about hip-hop though, may be some moves could be incorporated as well).

By the way, you just gave me another idea for a suggested workshop! I wonder who else would be interested?
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reggaeton & Salsa - Transition Reply with quote

Reggaeton / Hop Hop/ Rap and Salsa use 4/4 timing. Each bar has 2 measures of 4 beats... the 1,2,3(silent4) 5,6,7(silent 8).

One suggestion is finishing off partnerwork as the music transitions from one genre to the other and working into angular - urban type shines and body movement... have fun.
Tracie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion is to come and take my Reggaeton Funk class to learn some cool moves to adapt the shines that you already know and work on "funki-fying" your salsa body rhythm and timing!

New class starts on Sunday, April 18 at 12noon, for 9 weeks (no class Victoria Day long week-end).

hope to see you there! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: