Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning Salsa - where to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salsa_newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Learning Salsa - where to go Reply with quote

I had my first two salsa classes and I realized that we would learn actually more then one dance – and I actually have no idea how these dances including salsa would look like on the dance floor. I tried YouTube but I suppose at this stage I have no idea what I am looking for as I do not know music much….
Therefore, I have two questions:

1. Would it be possible if instructors would give us a preview of real dancing with real music in the beginning of the class so we can have an idea how it would look like when we learn to dance one day?

2. Could anybody recommend me a good place where I could visit with my friends and just listen salsa music and watch some real club dancing? Where the best dancers are? Where I can see our instructors dancing? – That would be interesting for me at this stage.

Thank you!
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two places off the top of my head, or, should I rather say, off the tips of my dancing feet toes Very Happy
1. Sunday TDS socials - all levels, and you'll have a benefit to dance with the helpers (guys and gals with name tags who never refuse a dance and give you some helpful tips and pointers and could also practice some particular moves with your vs just dancing), or
2. Babalu'u in Yorkville, especially on Wednesdays when DJ Gio spins his tunes - I've often been there myself just to enjoy watching some fine dancers, instructors including. You have to check it, but it used to be that if you show up before 9 p.m. it's free.
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Live Salsa Music... Reply with quote

Visit Lula Lounge on Saturday evenings for three sets of a live salsa band and you can see some plain old fashioned salsa in a party type atmosphere. It's the music though.You will see the instruments that make the sound and the music.

A one minute preview of the different dances - to music - being taught is always nice.
eltigre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I think that having a short sample of the 3 main dances is an excellent suggestion!

Secondly, here are a few places that I like to check out:

Alleycatz on Monday nights ( easy-going crowd, great Dj, good dancers )
6 Degrees on Tuesday nights ( a little more club-like, lots of great dancers and mix of live band and djs )
Babaluu on Weds ( as already mentioned, amazing dancers and a cool atmosphere )
Marlowe on Weds ( nice restaurant, smaller dancefloor but great lesson, dj and band )
Plaza Flamingo Fri or Sat ( really fun beginner lesson, big floor, dj )
Acrobat Fri ( great dancers, awesome dance floor, dj )
Lula Lounge Sat ( great atmosphere, great bands, great dancers )
Sunday Social @ Empress Walk ( TDS dance, very casual and quite fun, dj )

Special Events: There are always tons of great events going on from the Salsa Congress to the Bachata Festival. Keep your eyes posted on the forums for notices on events happening around the city!
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Live Salsa Music... Reply with quote

SalsaTO wrote:
Visit Lula Lounge on Saturday evenings for three sets of a live salsa band and you can see some plain old fashioned salsa in a party type atmosphere. It's the music though.You will see the instruments that make the sound and the music.

A one minute preview of the different dances - to music - being taught is always nice.

Thank for the info Mike! I didn't know Lula plays live band - I should go and check it out. I found for myself that the live music makes a big difference in understanding and enjoying salsa music more! That was the main reason I am visiting 6 Degrees Club - they have band on Tuesdays as well!
WF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a new Dovercourt social on Thursdays from 9pm-11pm/12am. I've never been to this social myself, but if you're looking for a salsa spot in the city on Thursdays, now there's Dovercourt! Smile
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursdays El Rancho is open as well, there is a lesson from 8:30 to 10:30 and dancing until midnight. There's very few people, mostly those who attended the lesson, so come with a partner or with a group of salsa students for a completely non-crowded practice experience. Latin mix is played - salsa, merengue, bachata.
Toronto Salsa Practice used to have its monthly outings there on the last Thursday of the month, but I didn't see familiar faces last month and this month the info is not posted yet... May be it is the weather... Or the Bachata Fest Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: