Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amateur Dance Competition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Amateur Dance Competition Reply with quote

IT's official...we are finally getting the chance to showcase everything we've learned from Toronto Dance Salsa.

Alright.....who is entering the Amature Dance Competition? I'm not seeing much activity on this discussion.

What does everyone think about music/choreography/costumes? Any ideas? This would be a great place to brainstorm, in case there was anyone sitting on the fence about entering the competition.

Question for Sharon: is there any way we could get some free studio time to practice? Or do you have a suggestion of an open space to practice some choreography? I think getting together to practice can be a bit of a challenge.

Or, to others who have been in a dance competition before....where did you practice? Are there any open studios for pay as you go drop-in?

Last edited by Kimberlita on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
KT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is thinking about costumes, I think it's a great idea to check out some professional performers and get some inspirations from what they are wearing. I've seen some of the costumes from the Salsa Congress and the Salsa Carnival that sparked quite a bit of inspiration and creative juices!

As to dance space... I think alot of studios (dance studio / group exercise rooms in a gym), performance theatres, churches, community centers, schools (evening) have rental space for the public to use. And I heard it doesn't cost very much especially if you are using it at a time when it is not busy for them. Although, truth be told... a hardwood floor space in your living room or basement would probably be equally efficient.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the tips KT.
I wish i had a basement or something with space to dance. Also...mirrors help to see if you're doing the moves right.
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Practicing for Competition? Reply with quote

No basement or mirrors? You can still practice in almost any space. Use a video camera or a digital camera with a video feature to see how you look. Not only can you look at your styling and body positioning, you can see if you are on time. Or, if you fall off time, exactly where you 'lost it.'

Video cameras are a competitor's or a performer's best friend.

Good luck!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video camera is a great idea. That is much different perspective than just looking in mirrors. Thanks for the suggestion!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Great Success Reply with quote

Okay, who was as impressed as I was at the execution of the 1st TDS Amateur Salsa Competition??

Firstly, Katie, you did an amazing job coordinating everything and making sure all the dancers knew what to expect...even down to dedicating a lounge space for us and organizing prizes. Thank you! I LOVED the fact that there was a shoe booth there, but unfortunately I didn't act fast enough and the shoe lady had left before I had a chance to buy a pair! Please bring her back for the next competition!!!

Secondly, GEORGE. What a great MC he was! Such a natural comic and he really knew how to get the crowd going. He did a wonderful job. And so did his lovely supporting MC, MissChievous, who looked beautiful, by the way!

Thirdly, the competitors did a great job. I had just as much fun watching the other dancers as I did participating. I was so impressed with how well everyone danced. Great entertainment value! You all rocked! Congratulations to everyone who participated and thanks to everyone who cheered us on. The energy in the crowd was just awesome. Even all my friends who came commented on how they were surprised and impressed with TDS' overall attitude of support and friendliness.

What did everyone else think of this event???
lindiloo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was fantastic and I am so proud of everyone! You all were HOT on that stage! I was one of your screaming fans in the front row!
blackout1999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Something else Reply with quote

What's really good? I was awestruck by everyone on stage. It was something else to see some of my level 5 people on stage and advance to the final round. Congrats to everyone who performed last night. Good luck in the finals. Holla back at ay boy! Very Happy
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great show!
I hope I will dance like these guys one day.
Tnx.
MissChievous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kimberlita.

First TDS Competition was the absolute success. Everybody did a fantastic job. The event was very well organized and all the competitors were just incredible. It is amazing how much work everyone put in this prelimentary round. I think every couple did an awesome show and everyone is a winner. It takes a lot of courage just to get up on that stage and dance. Congratulations to everyone.

Next time I am in too Smile
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing event that was organized for the TDS " family " and friends....

I would really really really like to thank my dancing partner for a beautiful, sensual and relaxing freestyle routine. She is top salsa girl in my books. Thanks Kimberly!!!

Sharon, on behalf of the participants, WE would like to thank you for setting this all up and treating us like " real performers" which we have come to learn that we have become. The lounge area, the set up, KT, George, MissChievous, ( Great Team ), the Judges, all of it....

To my fellow participants, I had mentioned this to Sharon after the competition....HATS OFF TO ALL OF YOU !!!
I was soo impressed with everyone ! Everybody was outstanding. I personally was smiling from the inside out and was very proud to see what all of you accomplished not just for TDS and friends and family....but for yourselves. I hope this adventure takes everyone to another level of self esteem and pride.

To the crowd......wow, you made us feel very special and made us give more than what we thought we had.

All and all, outstanding from the start to the finish.

Mark C.
KT

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a night!

I have heard nothing but amazing things about our competition night and I am so proud to be a part of something so wonderful!

To Sharon, who is the heart and soul behind Toronto Dance Salsa... thank you for doing what you do and opening a world of possibilities for us.

To all the participants... your hard work and dedication showed! What a wonderful show y'all have put for us! All of your performances have surpassed my expectations. You are all winners and salsa dancing stars in my mind!

To George, a brilliant host and a wonderful partner... and my hardworking Events Team... you guys ROCK! Thank you for all of your dedication and support!

Last but not least, no competition will be complete without prizes. A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS! Please check out their weblinks on the competition page!

Can't hardly wait till May 25th! Looking forward to seeing everybody there!
KT

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Kimberly, the shoe lady (Century WIde Shoes) is coming back for May 25th!

We are also expecting a booth from Addicted to Dance shoes...

So, ladies and gentlemen... those of you who were interested but did not get a chance to purchase your dance shoes last night... don't miss out on this great opportunity on May 25th!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, you are too kind. Smile

KT, That is music to my ears!! 2 salsa shoe booths?? AWESOME!

It's so amazing to hear everyone's feedback. Sharon, I think your competition was a HUGE success and I only anticipate more great things for the next one. I hope this will be an annual TDS event!
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

Wow I am so excited to hear the feedback for the competition. It was such a fun, exciting evening. I was SOOOO proud of all the competitors - you were all so engaging and fun - it was such a success!

George and Katie - you rocked! The night would not have worked without you.

There is no doubt this will be a yearly event. Karina, start practicing Smile
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: