Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dips??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyedentist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: dips?? Reply with quote

i haven't learnt any dips yet. i would really like to do a dip at the end of a song to end it nicely.

can dips be added into the level 5 syllabus??
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon introduced dips in level 6 salsa. She commented that it takes a lot of practice and trust to do dips. If they're done wrong it can cause accidents!
Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Dips Reply with quote

Yes, level 6 is when we do dips. I know everyone is really excited and wants to learn them but you really need to know what you are doing on the dance floor. By level 6 there is a real confidence and experience to the students so they can handle all the issues that can come up during dipping.
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't waitto try dips in level 6. Not quite there yet. I can see how you don't want to try those until you are more controlled. I went out a few weeks ago and saw a guy drop a lady. He looked like a beginner - not a very cool thing to do. I agree that men should wait until they are very comfortable with dancing, leading, music, and everything that geos with it so that if someone bangs into you while you are dancing you can handle it and not hurt the lady.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch...that's exactly why you should gain some expertise before attempting dips. In level 6 Sharon also teaches how it is important for a girl practice techniques of balancing her own weight and not depending on the guy to hold them completely. Some of the dips can be quite dangerous. There are also other type of dips that are safer to use in crowded clubs...such as sideway twisting dips or dirty dancing type dips!
SalsaMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Dips Reply with quote

When I was dancing at Acrobat I had a guy dip two different ladies into me in the same night. Their heads came right into me. Needless to say they weren't too happy with their partner. Why do people try these moves then they're not ready?
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why it's a skill reserved for more experienced dancers to learn not only how to dip but what kind of dip is appropriate for a crowded club. There are many different kinds of dips that do not necessarily take up a lot of space.
When done correctly, it can really add to the dance and can also provide a nice way to end a dance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: