Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

clubs at west end?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: clubs at west end? Reply with quote

any latin clubs in mississauga or brampton?
couldn't find any. is there no decent size latin community in the west end?
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Yes - 2 clubs! Reply with quote

Yes there are two clubs in Mississauga...

On the Curve
55 City Centre Drive (North East of Square One) in Mississauga
(905) 804-9582
Salsa Evenings: Wednesdays only
Lessons: Wednesdays from 9:00pm – 10:00pm

Fregata
1900 Dundas Street East (between Dixie and Highway 427) in Mississauga
(905) 270-6265
Salsa Evenings: Thursdays only

The community is building in Mississauga...hope this helps!

Sharon
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: On the Curve Reply with quote

I went to On the Curve in Mississauga with some non-salsa friends last Wednesday so I thought I'd report back and let you know my findings.

The place has a nice look and feel with the dance floor/stage in the rear of the restaurant. The dancefloor is very small and recessed with a railing all the way around. I kind of felt like I was a fish in a pond and the onlookers hanging on the railing looked like they were fishing. Aside from my group of friends, the crowd was definitely older...late 30's-early 40's. There were only a handful of intermediate dancers with most of them beginners or dancers who are okay but only know a few simple moves. It definitely had a suburban aura and it was kind of hard to guage who was there to dance and who was there to just hang out, so I probably wouldn't want to come here alone like I do at most other downtown salsa clubs. Most people kind of stuck to themselves.
The music was decent though and I appreciated the vast lots with free parking, a rarity in downtown TO.

I probably wouldn't make the trip out there again unless my friends insisted on going back...Hey... I'm always up for trying to convert my non-salsa friends to see the light...whatever it takes, I'll persist!
Rad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to check out Fregata (1900 Dundas E., Mississauga). On Thursday they have salsa night and 1 hour salsa lesson from 9:30 to 10:30PM. If you get there before 9:30 PM it’s free, after then the cover is just $5 and coat check, of course. The place looks nice and the floor is not bad, but small. However, the salsa dancers were not too many.
As a beginner I was mostly interested in the lessons and I’m not too impressed. It was somehow sketchy and hasty. I can’t estimate the rest of the night because I left early around 11:00 PM, but as I mentioned there where just few salsa dancers that night.
Another thing - when you enter the club you’ll be checked for weapons, a bit exaggerated in my opinion. May be the idea is not bad, but far too little.

I don’t know any salsa club in Brampton, but I checked out Latin Fever at 7777 Keele Street @ Hwy 7 and I just like it! It’s not that far and you can get there pretty fast - to 400 & HW7 or 407 & Keele. For sure it’s open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I’m not sure about Thursday. I was there on Friday - not too crowded, lots of salsa, merenge, bachata and cumbia, and enough people to find someone to dance with. I think to go there next Friday again. O, yeah the lesson is very good from 8-10 PM and is paid - $15 for 2 hours, but the cover is included, so … Otherwise the cover is $10. The dance floor is not too big and the Saturdays are more crowded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: