Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plaza Flamingo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salsa Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Plaza Flamingo Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what to expect at Plaza? What to wear? Is it like Acrobat?
KT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaza Flamingo is a very casual salsa club. Just dress comfortablly and lightly as it will get warm on the dance floor. Coat check is free, but usually huge line ups. There are more seating areas at Plaza so often people just just leave their stuff in the booths. The floor space is larger than Acrobat, but Acrobat's got wooden floors which is easier to spin on.

Check out the outing pictures under "Events" and that should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Happy Dancing Very Happy
lindiloo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Plaza Flamingo Reply with quote

Hey Salsa Newbie:

Nina and Alfred wrote a great review of Plaza Flamingo - you can read some other club reviews here too...
www.torontodancesalsa.ca/Salsa-In-Review/

A bunch of us were just there last Friday night and to add to Nina & Alfred's review:

1. The DJ played primarily merengue and reggaeton, which ended up working in our favour that night, as there were people with us who have never experienced going to a salsa club. It was a nice transition from a regular club to a latin club for those folks - plus, we got to work our merengue and reggaeton moves....I do hope they play more salsa this Friday though...hmmm, we'll see....
2. Yes, I do recall the vents blasting heat, but we always work up a sweat when we dance, regardless of the venue, so don't wear a turtleneck! Smile
3. They must have recently cleaned the dance floor or something, because now it is quite slippery. You'll have to adjust to get used to it, but once you get going, the slippery floor is an advantage - perfect for those turns!
4. Last Friday, it wasn't crowded at all - so I anticipate that you will find mostly TDS students this Friday...but there will be a lot of us, so it'll still be a good night!

Hmm, so what should you wear? Well, you can get away with dressy jeans and a nice shirt...the layout & look of the club (with the booths and tables, etc.) make me feel as if I should dress up a little more and their website recommends Dressy / Smart Casual attire...so I would dress up a bit more than you would for Acrobat.

Hope it helps! See you on the dance floor! Very Happy
~ Linda
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny...my opinion of Plaza is that it is more casual than Acrobat..probably because it's in the basement of the restaurant. IT's about par with El Rancho, I think. I'm really looking forward to getting out dancing...even though i'll be tired from helping out with classes for 3 hours!
lindiloo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I don't go all out with attire at Plaza either - I tend to wear jeans wherever I can, but I always get the vibe that Plaza WANTS us to aim for a more dressy appearance than we actually do...

In any case, no matter how we dress....we are going to impress with our cool new moves we learn this week in class, for sure!!
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberlita wrote:
Funny...my opinion of Plaza is that it is more casual than Acrobat..probably because it's in the basement of the restaurant. IT's about par with El Rancho, I think. I'm really looking forward to getting out dancing...even though i'll be tired from helping out with classes for 3 hours!

You're helping on the 10th hm? Does that mean I should pretend to be bad so you get to show me how to dance properly? :p Seriously though, it's great that the helpers are willing to spend their time showing us beginners what we can do to improve. I guess I can't complain that I'm tired after 1 hour of class when I get to plaza though since some people will have been dancing for near 3.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i missed you. I guess at the next outting come and ask me to dance and of course I will help you!
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the date all confused, thought it was on the saturday Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: