Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question RE: Outings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Question RE: Outings Reply with quote

Is there a fee for the lessons that take place at the outings we recieve evites for? (aside from the cover charge)

Also, which clubs offer lessons at what is the average price? Details on which ones offer the more beginner oriented lessons would be nice too Smile

Thx!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no extra costs for the lessons at the Toronto Dance Salsa events...they are included in the cover price!

Most salsa clubs offer beginner lessons with no extra charge. At least i've never been charged for them other than what i payed for at the door. check out salsa-in-review for some toronto dance students' opinions on local salsa clubs.
KT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons at the clubs are usually complimentary with cover. The only time where I've experienced paying to take the lessons at a club, is on "Free for ladies" nights. Some clubs like El Rancho will offer free cover for ladies before 10pm, and if you wish to take the lessons at the club (which is from 9-10?) then you will have to pay. But the fee is the same as paying cover, so technically you're not really paying for the lesson per se, but more like paying cover on a "Free for ladies" night.
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I didn't get any surprises if I brought a guest.
mokora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: From my own recent experience here are the prices.... Reply with quote

Hey Sephiralenden,

Remember coat check is $2.00 per jacket and a Water bottle is $2-4 bucks/bottle (more expensive than a litre of gasoline) at clubs.

Alley Catz - $5 Monday includes an Intermediate/Advanced Lesson

Babaluu's - Tuesday and Wednesday are FREE. If you want the intermediate lesson on Tuesday it is usually $10 bucks. (More intermediate - advance dancers)

Sixth Sense - $5 bucks includes a basic lesson on Tuesdays + live band and fancy ambiance

Friday - El Rancho $6-8 bucks, Plaza Flamingo $8-10 bucks... older croud.... Plaza plays more Batchata, Mergenge and Reggaeton than Salsa on Fridays. Babalulu's is good but usually packed... plays a lot of Salsa but after midnight a mix of reggaeton, reggae, hiphop etc.

Saturday - El Rancho is decent $8 bucks

Sunday - Babaluu's is good. $7 bucks (includes coat check)

Sephiralenden wrote:
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I didn't get any surprises if I brought a guest.
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: From my own recent experience here are the prices.... Reply with quote

mokora wrote:

Babaluu's - Tuesday and Wednesday are FREE. If you want the intermediate lesson on Tuesday it is usually $10 bucks. (More intermediate - advance dancers)

How about beginners lesson at Babaluu on Tuesday? I have heard they had it 7pm-8pm (before intermediate)?
CopyKat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: From my own recent experience here are the prices.... Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
mokora wrote:

How about beginners lesson at Babaluu on Tuesday? I have heard they had it 7pm-8pm (before intermediate)?

If you are level 3+ go to the Lessons at Alley Catz with Miguel on Mondays 8.30pm $5
the Advanced Lesson with Jen/Gio at Babs on Tues 8.30pm $10
El Rancho on thursdays with Miguel. 8.30pm $6
The Mambo Tribe socials every other sunday has an awesome shines class with Mark Anthony at 5pm at Dovercourt house. $10

But don't bother with club lessons till you can lead level 2 TDS stuff with non TDS people - go to the practice for that if you are intimidated by the salsa clubbers
mokora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Alex, RE: Babaluu Begginer Reply with quote

Sorry to reply back so late:

Wednesday - Begginer classes are free at 8:30PM.

Tuesday begginer classes they start much earlier... 7:30 - 8:30. The begginer class offered on Friday at Babaluu's isn't good at all... I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend Jennifer and Giovani's class on Tuesdays, as they teach some nice turn patterns for Level 2+ dancers.

CK is right about Miguel. He does teach more innovative turn patterns that will surely impress the ladies.... I would follow CK's advice. However, I would strongly advise anyone who is considering going to his lesson to pass at least level 3+ at Toronto Dance Salsa and go out at least one to two times a week to practice. Sharon's classes break things down much easier, and the foundations that she teaches are so important before picking up any lessons at any club.

I don't even use half the turn patterns I learn at clubs, but add some of their elements to what I have already learned at Toronto Dance... put it together and mash it into a unique spicy salsa... fit for the even the finest tortia Smile

M
Kneedragger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good info for ppl like me who don;t know much

I vote for this thread or info in this thread to be a sticky post

Cheers

http://www.goloracing.com
Sephiralenden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a lot of helpful info here. I and I'm sure others will really appreciate it! I will probably try to get to the next TD outing which should be after my 2nd salsa lesson. Then maybe do practices after that for a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: