Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Helpers recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salsa Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Helpers recommendations Reply with quote

Hi helpers! Can you recommend how to get better dancing fast? I just started level 1 and love it and want to get better but I am kind of shy to go dancing by myself. help!!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a bit intimidating at first to get out on the dancefloors when you're new. But the only way to get better is to dance more! Why don't you try dancing at the toronto Salsa practice on saturdays if you are to timid to go to the clubs. It's a non threatening environment for dancers of all levels.
Remember, we were all in your position at one point! All of the best dancers started as beginners but they kept up with it.
KT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to get better at anything is to practice, practice and practice... and the Saturday salsa practice @ Trinity Church is definately a good place to start. They have dancers of all levels there for 3 sessions every Saturday (3:30, 5:30, 7:30). The price is reasonable ($3 - $4) per session, and the people there are very friendly. You will likely find tons of TDS students there every weekend.

Our biweekly group outings are also great for new students to practice what they learned in class, as well as learn a few new moves and build up their confidence on the dance floor. I would recommend coming early to our outings and take the complimentary lesson offered by the club, as well as TDS. The turn patterns you will learn at an outing will always be different than what you learn in class, so it's a great way to gain more moves under your belt.

Going out on your own can be very intimidating, and it's safe to say that as a dancer, we've all experienced that at some point. As Kimberly pointed out, "all of the best dancers started as beginners", so the intimidation will have to be something you need to conquer in the path of becoming a better dancer. Aside from attending the outings and the salsa practices, I would also recommend exchanging contacts with classmates and develop some "salsa buddy" system. Going out with a few familiar faces can make the experiene a lot less intimidating. You'll be dancing the night away before you know it!

Happy Dancing! Very Happy
Salsa Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice! I tried the practice at the church and it was great. Can't wait for level 2 when I can really start to follow all those fancy moves!!!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...I have never even been to the salsa practice yet....I hope to try it out soon. Saturdays are usually a bit hectic tho. Look forward to seeing everyone at the next outting!
Salsaddict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe next outing should be a blast: over 350ppl confirmed. Hope to see lots of level one students and up!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: