Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: Should we host an amateur salsa competition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we host an amateur salsa competition?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 21 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Salsaddict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

Will there be judges? If so then it doesn't matter if they are on the same night becasue the judges will be able to see the differences in levels. In fact I really think it should be judged professionally. If you leave it up to a crowd it will become a popularity contest.
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The competition sounds like a good idea, but I dont think it should be held at the middle of an outting? Perhaps before the night begins to replace the lessons? That way people who want to see it can come early, rather than distrup the dancing afterwards.
Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

That would be a good idea - we may skip the lessons so that people have more social dancing time. Any other ideas?
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
SalsaMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Salsa Dance Competition Reply with quote

I think it should be levels 1 and 2 and then 3 and up. Maybe at the end of one semester you can have a competition for beginners and then at the end of the next semester a competition for the more advanced students. This will give people an incentive to improve and practice!

I think it should be mixed in with the regular outings and not be a seperate event - but limit the number of participants - 3 or 5 couples max.

Can't wait for the first one!
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the criteria if you guys limit the participants? Maybe first come, first serve I guess - whoever signs up first.
Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

All great questions and suggestions. We will bring it up tonight at the helper get together and finalize some plans. Looking forward to announcing a competition soon so get yourself on the dance floor!!
Salsaddict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

Any final decisions?
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Decisions regarding competition Reply with quote

Yes we discussed the competition at our helper get-together and came up with the following ideas:

Hold a prelimenary compeition at our outing that is open to any Toronto Dance Salsa student or helper (we may limit this to those who have not formally competed or performed as this can be a disadvantage for the rest). Limit it to the first 10 couples that sign up. This will be freestyle dancing. Have it at an outing and hold it later through the evening. Have judges pick the top three. The top three will then choreograph a routine for the end of the semester outing where we will showcase them and have a final decision.

That is all so far. We will start working on this very shortly and you should hear something about this soon!
michel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would have been nice to have the "dance patner" forum so people could pair up for competitions.
and b.t.w. it looks like the vote result on that is a definite yes.
Toby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

Alright can't wait to get the news on the competition. Who is competing out there???
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salsa Contests are usually on the spur of the moment, so you will not know who is going to enter before the contest. You never know, a few drinks later, anything can happen.

Michel:

I suggets that you just simply ask a girl that you dance with on the night of the event, if she wants to enter the contest.

There is usually no prep to these "Club Salsa Contests", its working up the courage the night of the event, and signing up. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a partner.

These contests are great time, GOOD LUCK!!
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Partners for Competition Reply with quote

Actually I would argue that some people join a competition last minute but most people including myself who are aware of a competition in advance plan and practice with a partner and I HIGHLY encourage everyone to take it seriously because you want to put your best foot forward and really feel confident that you have put work and effort into either a freestyle routine or a choreographed routine. So it is best to find a dance partner in advance.

I will be changing a forum discussion area to have a dance partner area just for the competition as a trial and if everyone is respectful and uses it wisely then we can keep it permanently.

Thanks for the feedback - keep the prizes coming in so we can get this competition rolling!
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partners can practice and Choreograph a routine. Cool. Thought it was going to be "Club Freestyle Contest". Will the partners have a choice of Costumes or Music?

Can't wait to see some of the routines. Very Happy
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first round will be freestyle but you can still practice moves, tricks, dips you will use for freestyling. The finals will be choreographed with costumes/your own music.

Can't wait to see what everyone brings to the table!!!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it, though i'm still trying to muster up some courage to participate in the competition.

I like that you will be doing a TRIAL discussion forum for finding partners, becuase it did seem like a lot of people were interested in seeing that happen on here. Anyway, I will definitely be logging on more often to keep an eye out for content appropriate-ness Wink

Last edited by Kimberlita on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: