Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite Dance Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonnislav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:

The movie was very well done. I must give credit to Marc Anthony for his debut in a movie, ( and a leading role too ). His acting was natural and of course Jennifer was just perfect ( in my eyes ), playing Hectors' wife in the movie.

Actually Marc is quite the veteran of movies if this is the same Marc Anthony, the singer, that is married to a Jennifer Lopez (orignal Fly Girl from In Living Color) ...
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Dirty Dancing Reply with quote

I am definitely looking forward to the movie on Hector Lavoe with Marc Anthony & Jennifer Lopez. Can't find it on DVD yet.

My favourite dance movie of all time is Dirty Dancing. Yes it is cheesy but it is what I grew up on...."No one puts baby in a corner!" - love it!!!

Also love:
Dance with me
Save the last dance
Shall we dance
Take the lead
Step up
You got served

Really any movie with dancing is good for me, even if the plot is not great Smile

If there are any students who love dance movies and want to write some reviews, let me know!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
KT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Dancing is my ultimate all time favourite. There is something magical and inspirational about the movie. I have a hard time deciding which version I like more: the original Dirty Dancing or Havana Nights. I feel more connected to the original one (maybe because I used to watch it as a kid, even though I didn't fully understand what was going on). But in terms of dancing, I liked the dancing in Havana Nights more.

Anyone else in the same dilema?
lindiloo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Dancing is a classic - I can watch it over and over...

If your in the mood for a good song and dance movie KT - check out "On the Town" - it's an oldie with Gene Kelly (awesome awesome) Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller too. Great dance scenes...one of my favorite musicals. Kind of a stretch from salsa, but there may be a hidden shine idea we can get from Gene Kelly! I'm a sucker for old movie musicals.
kennym

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TwoLeftFeet"]
KT wrote:
I found the Japanese one on TV by accident on at 1230am one night and stayed up to watch it...

Interesting, that's how I came across it too. Maybe we were viewing it at exactly the same time... I know I was supposed to be doing homework, but wasn't. Probably one of my favourite movies dance-related or not. I haven't checked out the north american version yet.

Hey, isn't there a movie from the 80's actually called salsa?
Valentin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindiloo wrote:
Dirty Dancing is a classic - I can watch it over and over...

If your in the mood for a good song and dance movie KT - check out "On the Town" - it's an oldie with Gene Kelly (awesome awesome) Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller too. Great dance scenes...one of my favorite musicals. Kind of a stretch from salsa, but there may be a hidden shine idea we can get from Gene Kelly! I'm a sucker for old movie musicals.

On The Town is very good. If you like Gene Kelly don't miss "An American In Paris" and "Singing In The Rain" (considered the best musical - for screen - ever made ).

And if you like dance oldies goldies, see any movie with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. They are considered the best dance couple on the screen, while Astaire is considered the best dancer of the 20th century (!).
I saw them in a documentary, a few weeks ago, and I realized that just seeing them dance can change anyone's perspective on the art of dance. I mean anyone who is interested in dance, not like me who I was interested only in music many years ago when I saw their movies. How blind I was! Shocked I'm planning to see them again, and I've found out that one of their movies is called ... "Shall we dance" Smile No relation with the 1996 and 2004 movies with the same title. This one was made in 1937:
Salsa Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Dirty Dancing Reply with quote

Yep I agree with some of the ladies above - Dirty Dancing is my favourite too. Grew up that movie. Never thought I would one day learn how to dance but now I can see how addictive it can be. Can't wait to see some new dance movies being offered. Did anyone see that new stepping dancing movie - Stomp something or other. Thinking of checking that out!
timbero1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Strictly Ballroom (best dance movie) Reply with quote

The Japanese version of "Shall We Dance" had it right when one actor in the movie says that all Ballroom Dancing (even Latin America Ballroom) comes from England. I hope this is not only Japanese movie you see, because Japan has as many great films as Hollywood.

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights was cynical attempt at making money. There was nothing Cuban about this movie filmed in Puerto Rico with a Mexican actor in the lead. Miramax knew the audience would not know or even care about its authenticity. Why didn't they call it Dirty Dancing: San Juan nights or Dirty Dancing: Hollywood goes Latin nights ?

The best dance movie that you will love is Strictly Ballroom, a 1992 movie from Australia, from the director who would go on to make Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman. It has outrageously vulgar and sentimental with flamenco, ballroom, and paso double. It has a lot of good advice for ballroom dancers. When the couple perform their ballroom paso doble causing the laughter of some Spanish flamenco dancers watching them, they learn to dance with the music and realize rhythm comes from inside your body and heart.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid i'm going to have to defend Dirty Dancing Havana Nights, as it was one of my favourite dance movies, and also because I’ve loved Diego Luna since Y Tu Mama Tambien.
You’re right, there was very little authentic Cuban about this movie, but if you watch the behind the scenes, the writer/director claimed that this story was actually a true memory of hers. So in re-creating that story she tried to get as close to her Havana memory as she could. Obviously, being American, she could not have filmed this movie in Cuba because of the U.S. trade embargo against Cuba.
But even though it wasn’t filmed in Havana and the lead actor was not Cuban, I don’t think it discredits some positive aspects of the movie. Besides, the story was told from an American point-of-view (though I think the lead actress was actually British or Australian, not American.) For one, the dance scenes were entertaining, the music was good, the storyline so-so, and the cameo of Patrick Swayze was awesome!
I wouldn’t assume that the intended audience who would enjoy the film wouldn’t care about authenticity. Some are media literate and can take a critical perspective on films, deconstruct them and enjoy the entertainment merits at the same time.
timbero1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Very Dirty Havana nights Reply with quote

I am not gay, but I prefer Gael Garcia Gael. Better looking and a better actor. hahahaha.

Even if I could look past the issue of authencity, it is just not enjoyable. Even by their own admission (read Premiere magazine), Diego Luna and Romola Garai are not just good dancers. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey are amazing dancers and made the original exciting. I think the original fans of Dirty Dancing were disappointed too. Havana nights made $14 million and the original made $140 million.

As you say if the movie was based on JoAnn Jansen's (she is neither credited as the director nor screen writer) memory of her times in Cuba, maybe I could have enjoyed it. And if one is media literate, you would know after Harvey at Miramax and Clive at Arista got their hands on this project, little that wasn't commercially viable was left in the movie. These guys are the real "creative" minds behind the movie, because they have more power than poor JoAnn Jansen.

I am all for fusion and the mixing of the new with the old. But everything in the movie is designed to separate me from my money. Cuba becomes the birthplace of hip hip and a vehicle for Mya (Clive's influence). I know they wanted me to feel the dancing by the "natives" in La Rosa Negra was sensual, but it just felt like an old Christina Aguilera music video. The guest appearance of Patrick Swayze is just disturbing and just freaked me out.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the movie accurately depicted her memories. We remember what we want to remember and our memories say as much about ourselves as what really happened. Then, it is her memories of Cuba and its people make me dislike her just like I dislike the girl in the movie Lost in Translation. Cuba and "Cuban" dancing become a way for discovering her sensuality and sexuality (the way salsa is for many Canadian people) and also a way of becoming closer to her family. Regular Cubans just form the background of the story and are to give "color" to the the story. In this very neo-colonialist movie, Cuban dancers separate to make way for the American girl with her Latin lover, Cuban mothers speak English, neither Cubans smoke nor seem very poor, and extremists like Javier's brother make revolutions. The Cuban revolution seems just to get in the way our heroine's romance, but it is calculated to add a sense of danger to this doomed romance.

Only for an American, 1950's Cuba would be a great time to live in. It wasn't such a great time for Cuban people. Why do people think this is the peak of Cuban dance and music? A necessary corollary is that nothing significant in terms of dance and music happens after the Cuban revolution, something salseros and many other Latin American people believe. They wanted to mix 1950's Cuban with something modern - rock, hip hop, rock and rap - for this movie's soundtrack. What do you think Cuban music has been for the past 40 years? If your definition of salsa is only the music that came out in the 1970's in New York from Fania, then modern Cuban groups have very little to do with this salsa, but have everything to do with American funk, soul, disco, hip hop and rap. They think have discovered something new in Orishas (only because they are not based in Cuba), but rap and hip hop have been extremely popular in Cuba for decades.

Why can't they make something more original? I don't know. A story about a Chinese American guy who goes to 1990's Cuba (a golden age of Cuban music) and learns to dance and falls in love with a African Cuban woman? He could go secretly to Cuba from Toronto and the story could be based on a true story. Even salsato has put up a link to the famous Chinese guy who ended up on Cuban television dancing salsa. Wait a minute. Maybe I will try to make movie like this. It will be my revenge on Hollywood for making Gong Li a Cuban woman in the movie Miami Vice who speaks Spanish like a peasant from the Story of Qiu Ju and dances ballroom salsa in Cuba to the tunes of Spanglish American salsa band in Havana.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noteworthy deconstruction. You obviously have a lot of passion which hopefully you also reserve a percentage of for the dancefloor.

Gael is cute in an impish manner...Amores Perros is one of my fav movies.

The colonialistic view is what Americans do best in their films. Unfortuantely that's why they're easy to sell, and well, easy to watch.
KT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen "Stomp the Yard"? What's the review? Worth your $13? Rental only? or just download a camcord version online and get it over with?
MissChievous

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Dirty Dancing 20th Anniversary-only one night! Reply with quote

Its a very short notice but maybe those hardcore suckers for dance movies will be able to make it.

Have the time of your life all over again! The original Dirty Dancing is celebrating its 20th Anniversary by returning to the big screen for one night only - May 2nd at 7:30pm local. Don't miss the original full-length movie PLUS exclusive never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast members and filmmakers that have kept the energy of Dirty Dancing alive for 20 years! In select movie theatres nationwide.

The movie is playing at:

Empire Theatres at Empress Walk
Address: 5095 Yonge Street
Phone: (416)223-9550
Neighbourhood: North York

and

Empire Theatres - Empire Studio 10 at Square One
Address: 100 City Centre Drive
Phone: (905)275-2640
Neighbourhood: Mississauga

Enjoy!
timbero1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the movie Cantante was about the life story of Hector Lavoe's WIFE. I like Hector Lavoe, but the movie is more about Lopez's attempt to win Oscar voters. Fortunately, the Academy awards did not bite on Jennifer Lopez's Oscar bait. I don't know why Salma Hayek and Jennifer Lopez don't get along. They have so much in common.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: