Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoule we have a "Dance Partner" Forum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shoule we have a "Find a Dance Partner" Forum?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 18 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 28

pegajena

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Liberal Salsa Community!!! Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to enjoy dancing salsa the way they like. There is no strict rule about people changing partners. Its a liberal community and no matter how much we believe that its not a good idea to stick to a corner with only one dance partner, we should appreciate that those two might have even more fun than the rest of the club.
Its all about fun. Not everyone is here to become a dance pro. For most of us, it is just one fun activity among 100 other hobbies that we pursue.

I don’t understand how this forum can be a negative thing? It gives the ones looking for a dance partner the opportunity to find one. If you are not interested, well just don’t visit it.
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never thought everyone was so passionate about this. At least we can all agree we have the passion to dance. Sharon would be proud.

I just want to clarify one thing. I never said a forum was a bad idea to inquire where people were meeting, and to head to club or practice session together. A way for classmates to head to class, practice sessions, clubs and outings together. Those are all great ideas, and should be done as soon as possible. I also hope that were all old enough to exchange emails and phone numbers to do that on our own. However we should not have a "Find Partner Forum".

Just a friendly reminder, that this is not a DATING SERVICE. Try Lavelife, its where "singles click".

If people are looking for a "partner", Toronto Dance also offers great ballroom classes (Cha Cha, Rumba, and the Waltz).

I agree with Pegajena, Salsa is a "Social Dance", its ways for people to meet people on the DANCE FLOOR. NOT IN CHATROOMS. I find new partners everynight (from pros to beginners), and I enjoy everyone of the dances I've had with them. If people need partners, their hundreds everynight of the week (over 275 of them in our outings), on the dance floors. Yes, two people can dance in a corner all night, it happens. BUT THEY MET ON THE DANCE FLOOR!! Come on guys, if you like what you see, ask them to dance!!!

I don't want to come off "agressive" (probaly too late), but I just worry about the direction and the message the forum will send off. No one ever commented on how one acts in a club, but please, find your partner in a club, not in some chat room for a salsa school. Yes, if one does not like the idea, he or she can choose not to check the site. However, I worry about the direction if we start that kind of forum.

I'm very lucky and grateful that I have met many great friends through Toronto Dance. I know of many couples that have met through Toronto Dance, but we all met on the dance floor, not in cyberspace. I just hope that Toronto Dance is not heading in that direction.

In the meantime, see you all on the dance floor.
Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify Rob's comment that we should get a forum for getting together at clubs. We DO have a forum on this called "Salsa Get-Togethers" which is specifically for people wanting others to know that they are going to check out a club/practice session/congress/etc and inviting others to join them. Check out: http://www.torontodancesalsa.ca/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
To date this is the least popular forum which is interesting! We need to start using this avenue of communication.

I am fairly sure that no one is responding to this question with the idea of creating a new "lavalife" avenue so I think that comment is unwarranted. I have been teaching for a while now and, while some people are courageous enough to try to go out and ask others to dance and really emerse themselves in the social pluses of salsa dancing, for others this is not possible at the early stage. Rob, you are a very social person. I found this out on day one of your level 1 class at Eastminster Church! So it is easier for you to put yourself out there. There are others who would rather not dance anymore than do this. Maybe we need to think outside our own experience and remember that everyone is different.

When I was envisioning a Dance Partner forum, it was mainly for people who weren't comfortable going dancing yet in a club or for those wanting to practice their dance moves that they learn in the class. You can have one partner, you can have several. The truth is once a person starts going out dancing/practicing, they will change. Their confidence levels will increase and they will feel more comfortable salsa dancing publically and eventually will start asking people to dance. So I think the end effect is the same.

So I am glad that everyone is so passionate about salsa dancing but just don't forget that we are all different and have had different experiences and we need to respect that!!!!

Wow, these forums ARE addictive!!

Sharon
Toronto Dance Salsa
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon, I agree with you 100%.

Also, my comments about the 'Lavalife" were too harsh. Of course people from all walks of life come to dance with all different personalities. Everyone is diferent and the last thing we want is to deter people from salsa. If the forum is used as intended, to encourange social interaction, then the forum would be amazing.

However, I was not commenting on the intended use, but responding to the some of the previous posts. In conversation with many others, they have also expressed their same concerns about the potential forum.

I merely hoped that the forum will not be used to exclude people (limited to ONE PARTNER, or to meet people ONLINE), to be turned into something that is not inteded and while to attract some, to deter others. The comments I've responded to used terms like "the forum would be a way to meet single people", or to prevent shooting in the dark. To exclude peopleThose are my concerns.

Talking to people, seeing the close vote, and close to 300 views, this topic is a concern to many. One must ask "why is this the most popular topic if there were no drawbacks?", while the other get together forum has the least popular.

MICHEL, remember, it is us the guys that have to put "our money where our mouth is", and ask the ladies to dance (from all levels). I know everyone is different personality wise, but when I was in level 1, I asked my female helpers (even Caryl and Sharon) to dance, and let me tell you, they made my night. They also really helped me to develop my dancing and always gave me feedback that was helpful. I always said, dancing with an experience dancer is like a lesson in iteself.

As long as we are gentlemens and have a blast, your patner will appreciate the dance.

Sharon, wait till you ask for my opinion on a seious topic (LOL).

Last edited by Robbiehsu on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
michel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sharon, this is addictive.
i think i am going to switch to part time job.
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ildi is right. Names must be left out, and people's privacy must be maintained in this forum.

So, who is going to Babalu's on Wednesday?
KT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a heated discussion! Well, one thing for sure, we sure are salsa-fanatics!

Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about this "Partners Forum". We are all grown ups here, which mean we should have the level of maturity to chat responsibily and take responsibility for whatever that might happen. That said, a large part of me agrees with Rob, that this forum can very likely turn into a dating chat room, which I can foresee it to open a can of worms of drama. Also, it really takes away the social aspect of the salsa experience.

Personally, I am a very shy person. I would much rather deal with words on a screen than approach someone in person. But I have learned to be alot more open and social since I started dancing. Aside from cool dance moves and sexy shakes and shimmies, the most valuable lesson for me, was learning to step out of my comfort zone - whether it be checking out a new club by myself, or dancing with someone more experienced, or asking a stranger to dance. Finding a practice partner can be done in many forms, for example, exchanging contacts with friends from class or going to big group practices, like the Saturday Salsa Practice @ Trinity Church. I feel that having a forum will keep us inside that comfort zone where it's easy and safe, and make us too lazy to put in a little effort to try something new, something uncertain, something outside of our comfort zone.
Tamara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think it's a grest idea to have a Dance partner. Because even though we're all in the same level, not everybody is at the same confort zone.

I would apreciate a partner that is as good as me or even better because i feel like i'm learning.

that's the reason why i enjoy dancing w/ the helpers because they tell me what i do right and wrong.

thanks
AMR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Dance partner forum Reply with quote

The dance partner forum is a great idea for those who want a little extra practice, or to review the classroom techniques and combos before trying them out in public. It also allows people a chance to practice new moves and perfect them with someone their comfortable with. And if those people who partner up decide to never dance with another living soul aside from their partner again, well that's their loss. But finding other people out there with the same commitment to practice can be the best way to improve ones confidence and skills before going social dancing.

And for those of you who think it is a negative idea, well then don't post on the partner forum. All we need is a simple list of who wants to practice, when they're available, and what level they're in. Sure, we'll get some serial daters, but we get those in classes and at the clubs anyway. But I know for myself personally, there are some moves I won't try with a complete stranger, like dips! So having someone I trust to practice with would build up my confidence to allow strangers to perform dips on the social floor.
michel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said AMR !
mokora

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dance Partner Forum Reply with quote

I would be inclined to think that the proposed system is more of a "buddy" system as opposed to a new online-dating / marriage forum as some have argued. I seriously doubt anyone who goes with a partner will dance with that same person for 2-3 hours, that's just not possible without getting bored!! Chances are people will dance with 2-3 more people in addition to the people they go with... their partner/dance buddy would be more like their safety net... as opposed to their life partner Smile

I think a forum like that would benefit people who are single and go to these clubs. Many of these people may need a strong social network before going out to dance frequently. Granted some people may become fearful of dancing with people they don't know, but if they don't know people they are almost certainly less likely to go out and practice frequently.

I voted yes.

M
michel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 views and 25 votes ?
where are you people?
mokora

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Well thats not entirely accurate Reply with quote

I would say that even though there are 2000 views, there are only 77 eligible voters on the members list.... representing 12.8% of the 600 or so salsa students in TDS. Also remember that only 33% of the 77 voters (26 votes) actually voted. However, out of the 26 people who took the time to vote out of the 77.... 61% of them agree with having a forum.

It's also probably also only right to point out that given that there are only 77 registered members and aproximately 600 salsa students.. there are well over 2000 views... which probably means the same 26 people who voted are probably viewing the same pages over and over.
KT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys feel so passionately about having this Dance Partner forum, how come no one started one? It seems to make more sense to have one, rather than talking about having one.

That said, please keep in mind that Toronto Dance Salsa is a teaching school, so this should be used for educational purposes. The forum should be used for the purpose of searching for practice partners, not a dating service. The common curtesy and respect for each other and for the forum applies. That also includes the respect for individual's privacy and personal information. The forum is regularly checked by administrators and moderators. Any posts that are inappropriate will be immediately removed, and the user's membership may be terminated.

Salsa dancing is a way for all of us to have fun. Please keep this forum fun, friendly, and respectful!
CopyKat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Salsa buddy" is probably a more appropriate term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: