Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoule we have a "Dance Partner" Forum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shoule we have a "Find a Dance Partner" Forum?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 18 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 28

Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Shoule we have a "Dance Partner" Forum? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

We have just created these forums for discussion about all salsa related topics. The one topic I would like to introduce but am concerned about is the "Finding a Dance Partner" section. I envision this section for Toronto Dance Salsa students looking for a practice dance partner. You can specify what you are looking for and see if you can find a respondent. My only concern is that this will encourage inappropriate entries.

Please vote as to whether or not it is a good idea and add your comments. We will take them into account when making a final decision.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Sharon
michel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
ask your webmaster to create a simple "contact" program.
Ting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea since we do have many singles in the classes. The problem of inappropriate entries can probably be eliminated by the site admin...if the entries are reviewed on a regular basis.
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Everyone is a Partner!!! Reply with quote

I think having a dance partner thing defeats the purpose of Salsa "Social Dancing". set partners are for Ballroom Dancers.

Everyone in the bar is your partner. If anything, we should have a "Dance Etiquette" workshop. Yes, a lot of singles, but the last thing you want is for people to stick to a corner by themselves with one partner.

Mingle, ask everyone to dance, that goes for the ladies too!!!!.
pegajena

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Great Idea! Reply with quote

What an absolutely great idea!! It gives people the opportunity to get together for more practice. The outings are good but not enough and sometimes too crowded to really focus on practicing. On the other hand, its hard to practice on your own and more fun to have a partner or partners. You can find friends and exchange tips on how to perform a move better. I agree with ” Robbiehsu” that people shouldn’t be shy and ask other people for a dance. However, don’t see how this can defeat the purpose of Salsa "Social Dancing". To me they don’t have anything to do with one another and this addresses a totally different issue.
EmT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: "who's available to dance???" Reply with quote

I think the term "partner" is very inclusive to two people only and may take a bad turn eventually. I think if the section is titled differently, something more inviting to all,like, "who's going out what night," then people can hook up as a large group in that club.
clave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Everyone is a Partner!!! Reply with quote

Robbiehsu wrote:
I think having a dance partner thing defeats the purpose of Salsa "Social Dancing". set partners are for Ballroom Dancers.

Everyone in the bar is your partner. If anything, we should have a "Dance Etiquette" workshop. Yes, a lot of singles, but the last thing you want is for people to stick to a corner by themselves with one partner.

Mingle, ask everyone to dance, that goes for the ladies too!!!!.

I think a dance partner can serve to improve one's ability - as it is tought to get someone reliable to practice with (I guess i might be eluding to a practice partner then).

Dance Etiquette sounds like a great 2nd forum!
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can have practice sessions, check them out on Saturdays, there is over 6 hours of practice with over 300-400 potential partners.

I still think find a partner is a bad idea. Everyone in your class, outings, clubs, basically anyone in the world that dances Salsa is you partner. Nothing wrong with asking a classmate to head to the practices on Saturdays, then dancing with the hundreds of partners. Just ask them to dance.

We must avoid the exclusive approach to SALSA. Never depend on one person to dance or practice with. If you practice with only one person, then you head to the club, then what. You never learn to lead or follow. Its like learning to drive on the same street over and over again. It creates dependancy. Set/dependanble partners are for ballroom or professional salsa performers, not social dancers....
michel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not agree with you Robbie.
i would like to find several (not one) partner that i know are on the same level as me or slightly better, and know that if i am going to a certain club on a particular evening, that they will be there - other than shooting in the dark and inviting someone to dance that is on a totally different level than me (beter or worse).
the "partnership here will not be for any other purpose than to have an aquaintant that i know i am comfortable dancing with on a certain night in a certain club.
pegajena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie, what is this Saturday practices that you mentioned?? Never heard of it!!! Shocked

Last edited by pegajena on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel, again, I would have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, everyone has people or groups that their comfortable with, but you have to avoid the "SALSA SNOB" syndrome.

You practice and dance with people from all levels. You will create barriers and itimidations if you stick with one person. Too many people who are beginners are afraid to practice or ask advance people to dance (or vice versa). I understand that people have different personalities and expectations. But the last thing we want is for people who are advance never to ask a beginner to dance. Everyone should dance with everyone, no matter what the level.

If beginners stick with beginners, how are they to get better? You create a "Snob" factor. Imagine the best dancers only dancing with experts, and never asked beginners, that would suck.

"Shooting in the dark" is the whole point of salsa in my opinion. Dancing with new people (better or worse) is the whole point. Were not going to be proffesional dancers, and the whole point is to meet new people from all walks of life. The worse or best dancer in the bar might turn out to be the most interesting person you'll ever meet. Its hard enough with a person going to a club asking people to dance, the last thing we need are more barriers.

Michel, what your talking about is what we should all avoid. Practice and dance with everyone, from all levels, we all need to be more open.... Don't be a Salsa "SNOB"
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the practice rob is referring to is also mentioned in the links.

www.torontosalsapractice.com

I personally find this very helpful in improving your skills quickly. It is held every saturday at Trinity (church near spadina station).

There are 3 time slots

3:30-5:30 (the most popular timeslot) which costs $4.
5:30-7:30 - $3
7:30-9:30 - first 10 people get in for free, next 10 get in for $1, next 10 get in for $2, and everyone else for $3.

I highly recommend this place for everyone.
MissChievous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that "Find a Dance Partner" is fantastic idea and this is a topic that many of us desperately need.
I do not understand why someone would object that others will find a partner to go practice and out on their own schedule, not waiting for the general outings? Salsa is a social dance and one of the things it helps with is to meet people, make a new friends based on common interests. With no doubts, this will help people who seriously wants to improve their dancing skills to find each other. It doesn’t necessarily means that
Quote:
people to stick to a corner by themselves with one partner
if somebody wants to do that, they will do it regardless of where they've met--on the forum or in the club, and besides, nothing stops you from asking them to dance anyways. I personally know many couples that started dancing together, yet they would still dance with different partners in the clubs. Again, this is a great option for people that want to get together with responsible person for practicing and improving and it doesn’t have to be one dance partner, it could be Tom/Tina on Monday, Tim/Tanya on Tuesday, Todd/Amanda on Friday--lots of options. And there is no need to be afraid of people finding a partner even if they decide to dance exclusively together--there are still hundreds of other students on the dance floor.
Moreover, there are lots of singles there, it may be a great ice-breaker for many, great way to help people to connect without making another party uncomfortable.
I am convinced we must have that discussion topic!

Last edited by MissChievous on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without trying to label people's intentions for dancing or methods of practicing salsa, I think that everyone has their own comfort levels of social interaction...especially in something that can be as intimidating as getting on the dance floor for the first few times.

I'm assuming that it's largely beginners who are keen on having a regular partner at the beginning of learning how to dance because just getting out to the clubs may be intimidating. However, I admit that I agree with Rob's philosophy of salsa being a social dance. Once people get more acquainted with the Toronto salsa community (and eventually the more global salsa community) they will realize that it is in fact the social aspect of it that makes a person improve a lot faster and appreciate the dance a lot more.

Robbiehsu wrote:
the last thing we want is for people who are advance never to ask a beginner to dance. Everyone should dance with everyone, no matter what the level.

This is so true, and it's the reason that TorontoDanceSalsa organizes outings and has designated "outing hosts" The outings congregate a mix of familiar faces in all levels of dance together in the same club so everyone can practice leading and following with different dancers; and the purposes of the outing hosts are to make sure that everyone is having a good time and feels welcome by encouraging people to dance, promoting social aspects and demonstrating dance etiquettes.
Sara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Lots of discussion about this dance partner issue...
I think it's a very simple concept. It's nice to have a forum that allows people to socially interact and it is definitely meant to allow people to open up to each other. However, I think I agree with Robbie as well with the issue of allowing beginners to advance faster by asking people that are better dancers than them to dance.

I myself never imagined openning up the courage to ask a guy to dance in the first few months of dancing. Yet, I found the outings adequate for creating interaction and allowing me to practice my moves with people I am comfortable with. I never saw a need to find a partner. Now, I feel totally comfortable asking the best dancers and best choreographers in the city to dance, as I found that to be the major reason for my advancing quickly. I don't think that a dance partner forum would oppose that by any means, but I know that it definitely wouldn't encourage people to get the courage up to ask better dancers to dance. I know now that the good dancers actually enjoy dancing with new dancers, since they have been in the scene longer and dancing with the same people could at times be repetitive for them...

I guess what I am saying is despite the great intentions that a dance partner forum may have, it may encourage people to only dance with those they are comfortable with and keep repeating moves that they have both saturated. Hence, slowing down the pace of their improvement... I guess in the end, if there is no rush to get better and this is merely a social thing, then a dance partner certainly encourages that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: