Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salsa Social Advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Salsa Social Advice! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

We are always seeing new students and friends at our Sunday social at Empress so I wanted to give some advice to new attendees.

I know we have benches at Empress but if you are looking to dance, a word of warning: don't sit on the benches! When you sit on the benches it tells other dancers that you want to rest and you don't want to dance so you won't get approached as often. So if you are looking to dance, be up and about, make eye contact with dancers you would like to dance with, and most of all, ask yourself! Both women and men can ask each other to dance. Once you have asked someone to dance, they will be a lot more likely to reciprocate in the future.

There are some helpers at the social wearing name tags. Feel free to ask them to dance - they will be more than happy to do so.

If you continue to come to the socials, very soon you will be making friends and the first feelings of awkwardness will disappear, leaving you very comfortable and excited to see the gang.

Hopefully this helps you go out dancing. Say hi and introduce yourselves to me at the socials - I am usually at the door until 7:30pm!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's so true. I think us guys don't want to ask anyone to dance if they are sitting because they may be resting. And ladies - please ask us to dance!!!! It is so nice and a big relief.

When I first started salsa dancing I didn't have the courage to ask anyone and would leave without even dancing once. But once I started asking, it was such a difference. Everyone remembers you dancing with them and next time you see them it is so much easier to ask or there is no need to even ask, you just go for it.

So I highly recommend for girls and guys to ask each other to dance instead of sitting around!
Evan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true Sharon - when ladies are sitting on the benches talking to their friends or are by themselves looking like they are lost in another world or are bored, guys are less likely to ask them to dance.

Another tip: When you are dancing, even if it's with someone at a lower level than you, try to have fun. Guys want to have fun too and if you're smiling and enjoying yourself while dancing with someone else, other guys are more likely to ask you to dance the next song!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: