Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning dancing On2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Learning dancing On2 Reply with quote

I saw we had some workshops On2 at TDS – did anybody take these workshops (leaders) and what do you think?

I was thinking lately about learning how to dance On2 – would like to know if anybody here tried to switch and if it worked…
eltigre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the on2 workshop and have to say that I loved dancing on2.
While I can technically dance on2, I need some more time practicing doing so.
It's really easy to convert your on1 moves over, so it's more of just getting the on2 feel down.
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have not made my decision yet...

I have heard that it takes sometimes up to 1 year for a leader to switch completely...

I think I will take another series of workshops to see how it goes...

The other solution is to keep dancing on1 and just try to get better Smile

Anybody else here switch On2 or in process? pls share your experiences...

Cheers
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is, IMHO, to keep trying no matter how awkward you feel at first, take workshops, classes, practice with your fellow On-2 converts and dance with those who have already mastered it. At some point I just got it - meaning, I started feeling On2 music and beats, though it still takes time and effort to convert the moves properly. I am not in a hurry, though:) and continue taking classes On1 as well.
I am sure with enough persistence you'll enjoy it as well!
Yannick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:

I have heard that it takes sometimes up to 1 year for a leader to switch completely...

Cheers

Interesting thread topic. The transition from On1 to On2 can seem extremely daunting at first. However, with the proper dedication and effort, one could make the switch in a matter of months.

For me, I danced On1 for a year before taking the On2 plunge. The fastest way I found to go about it was to go back to basics. That means starting all over from the basic step, again. Do it over and over and over until it the timing is ingrained and you can do it in your sleep. If possible, try it to music. I used a beat machine I found on the internet and practiced my On2 basic with just rhythms (ie clave, conga, timbales).This may sound tedious, but trust me it will strengthen muscle memory, which is essential to learning a new timing.

Once I was comfortably able to do a basic, I began breaking down the moves. Right turn, left turn, cross body lead, etc. The object of this exercise is to step out all of your most commonly used moves without going off time. If you can practice with a partner, all the better! For everybody else, shadow dance it out. If it helps, count out loud.

A word of caution to both leaders and followers: be careful with the break on count 6. Because I was so accustomed to breaking back as a leader on count 5, I found myself reverting back to On1 at the end of each 8 count. Case in point, I found myself taking an unnecessarily large step on count 5. What this does is disrupt the break on 6, which is the lead-in for whatever move comes next. Instead, make sure to always step in place on count 5. The pauses are still 4 & 8, but now it will seem like an eternity before you break again. This caused me so much headache and proved my biggest challenge to overcome

Of course, to truly convert, you must go out and seek out On2 dances. This was another of my obstacles, since I was deftly afraid of boring my potential partners to death with basics. However, I found mostly everyone to be patient with me as I stumbled to lead a cross body with a turn without stumbling all over my feet.

I also highly recommend taking a workshop to get the ball rolling. At the very least, it will get you as far as getting your basic step down. However, it is up to you to continue putting forth the effort.

There you have it. My guide to transitioning to On2 Smile

Cheers and see you on the dance floor!

Chris
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris, tnx for the write up! Good read Smile

would you mind posting links to that beat machine you said you found on the web? I also would like to listen to music more and figure out diferent instruments better - especially clave for ON2 style...

Cheers
Yannick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Hey Chris, tnx for the write up! Good read Smile

would you mind posting links to that beat machine you said you found on the web? I also would like to listen to music more and figure out diferent instruments better - especially clave for ON2 style...

Cheers

Hey there. I guess it would help to have included the URL, heh.

It's www.salsabeatmachine.org

Have fun!
joe steven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yannick wrote:
Alex wrote:

Cheers

Interesting thread topic. The transition from On1 to On2 can seem extremely daunting at first. However, with the proper dedication and effort, one could make the switch in a matter of months.

For me, I danced On1 for a year before taking the On2 plunge. The fastest way I found to go about it was to go back to basics. That means starting all over from the basic step, again. Do it over and over and over until it the timing is ingrained and you can do it in your sleep. If possible, try it to music. I used a beat machine I found on the internet and practiced my On2 basic with just rhythms (ie clave, conga, timbales).This may sound tedious, but trust me it will strengthen muscle memory, which is essential to learning a new timing.

Once I was comfortably able to do a basic, I began breaking down the moves. Right turn, left turn, cross body lead, etc. The object of this exercise is to step out all of your most commonly used moves without going off time. If you can practice with a partner, all the better! For everybody else, shadow dance it out. If it helps, count out loud.

A word of caution to both leaders and followers: be careful with the break on count 6. Because I was so accustomed to breaking back as a leader on count 5, I found myself reverting back to On1 at the end of each 8 count. Case in point, I found myself taking an unnecessarily large step on count 5. What this does is disrupt the break on 6, which is the lead-in for whatever move comes next. Instead, make sure to always step in place on count 5. The pauses are still 4 & 8, but now it will seem like an eternity before you break again. This caused me so much headache and proved my biggest challenge to overcome

Of course, to truly convert, you must go out and seek out On2 dances. This was another of my obstacles, since I was deftly afraid of boring my potential partners to death with basics. However, I found mostly everyone to be patient with me as I stumbled to lead a cross body with a turn without stumbling all over my feet.

I also highly recommend taking a workshop to get the ball rolling. At the very least, it will get you as far as getting your basic step down. However, it is up to you to continue putting forth the effort.

There you have it. My guide to transitioning to On2 Smile

Cheers and see you on the dance floor!

Chris
I am also interested to learn about salsa dancing On2, your explanation just made me more interested anymore.

I am currently also looking for who can teach dance salsa On2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: