Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First salsa class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salsa_newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: First salsa class Reply with quote

Hi, I am new here and new to salsa.
I am having my first class this Friday at Downtown location. Very excited, don’t really know what to expect. Can anyone share some experiences from your very first salsa class? It would be very interesting Smile

Also I have a question – can I wear my street shoes in the class?
Tracie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello new salsa student! Welcome to the TDS family! I know you were looking for some specific insight from a fellow beginner student, but I thought you might benefit from some advice (and insight) from an instructor.

All salsa dancers had to start somewhere - every single dancer out there on the social dancing scene started as a beginner. Ask anyone (even seasoned instructors and performers) and almost all of them will say that in the first few classes they ever took the latin dance movement felt totally foreign to their bodies and they just couldn't "hear" the music. They'll also all say that feeling the music and getting the movement into your body takes time and LOTS of practice!

It's important to relax and remember there's no pressure to "get" the steps right away. All of your fellow students are in the same boat and your instructor and your class helpers were all once standing where you will be on Friday. Most importantly, have fun and smiling along the way helps with the learning process! Smile

In terms of shoes, in the winter we always ask people to bring a change of shoes, just so you're not bringing wet dirt etc onto the dance floor. This is simply in consideration of others who might be wearing dance shoes that have suede soles. If you don't have dance shoes, bring your usual "clubbing" or "going out" shoes to change into, this way you can practice and get used to dancing in them so when it comes time for you to venture to a club or social, you know you have a pair of shoes you know you can dance in!

good luck and stick with it! Hope to see you at the socials and club outings very soon.

Cheers!
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday Downtown is my day I am helping Smile I did attendance for the first class level 1 this time. Interesting to see all the salsa beginners tense and anxious waiting – reminds me my first class – no smiles, not much chat around – all are so serious! Smile LOL
But what a huge difference in 10-15 minute later in the class – thanks to Sara – breaking ice and bringing the fun! I personally had so much fun as well – this is what makes those classes at TDS so great.

For all beginners also would like to add that those people you meet at your first class most likely will become your close friends one day - you would be looking for those classes or outings to meet and chat together... So look around, be friendly and open and have fun Smile
salsa_newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: First classes experience Reply with quote

Hi there!
Well, I had my first 2 classes and it was great!
Thank you all for your time and replies – it definitely helped a lot, and I have more questions now!
As per our class, I would like to thank Alex, other assistants and especially our instructor Sarah – I cannot wait for our next class every week now. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: