Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laundry Day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Laundry Day! Reply with quote

I was in a bit of a shock last week at Acrobat Lounge on the Friday night. I just happened to have visited the new Locker Room that Acrobat had installed in the Men's bathroom!!
As I walked into the bathroom, I was confronted with 2 men in front of the mirrors in the middle of changing their shirts...and one of those guys just happened to be bathing himself in the sink with soap and paper towels, washing his chest and underarms. There was also a third person in one of the stalls also in the middle of changing.
Now, there is not a problem with the shirt changing but the bathtub scene??!!
I have spoken about the natural sweating that occurs while dancing salsa. Gentlemen, if sweating is a problem, try taking a break once and awhile. Try this out next time you go dancing. Enjoy 2 or 3 dances in a row, then take a breather for 2 or 3 songs. This will cool you off and keep you comfortable.
It might be hard to take a salsa break in between songs but consider the impression you are making with the Ladies if you approach then and you have sweat dripping from your forehead and your shirt is drench from continuous dancing. What happens if you have a bad body smell and you are dancing with a girl....what do you think they will remember after your dance?...
Find what works for you but please show respect and consideration to others.

Mark
SHC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: excessive sweating Reply with quote

As a female, I do find myself sweat alot during dancing, believe it or not I do take frequent breaks after a few songs to dry off a bit before I start again. I have turn down a dance if I find myself to be too sweaty (but of course, I will find him later for a dance!). There is nothing wrong about turning down a dance for this reason, I find guys often respect that and will be more than happy to dance later. I have been turn down for a dance from a guy for the same reason and never thought the guy was being anything but considerate.

I totally agree with what Mark said here, I actually get turn off dancing with a guy who is completely soak in his sweat or worst with BO then getting turn down for a dance b/c the guy just need a break to dry off. Trust me it is not fun to do a "Tunnel" under someone's smelly arm (I have done that! and that's all I remember from that dance!) or touching a guy wet shirt trying to do a "Coca Cola"!

Stella
velina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with you two. I also take frequent breaks and turn down partners if I am too sweaty. The dance is not as enjoyable when you and/or your partner are soaking wet...

Speaking of turning down partners...Last night at Acrobat a gentleman got really upset with me because I declined his offer for a bachata dance. The reason for my negative response was that I was pretty sweaty to get too close to someone, especially when I did not know him. However, the guy seemed visibly ticked off by me. I felt really bad but that did not make me want to dance with him later.
eltigre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has a condition where I have high body temperatures I do many things to counteract the sweat factor...

Obviously pristine hygiene is #1 (I had to switch seats at one point because someone smelled quite off)

Apparel:
Hats - a nice fedora, military or drivers' cap will cut down 90% of your forehead sweat
Wristbands - I often wear a wristband to help cut down on the forehead sweat if I'm not wearing a hat
Undershirts/ Muscle shirts - Under your regular shirt will cut back a lot of sweat
Socks - antibacterial socks will kill all bacteria/shoe odor
Hand towel/ handkerchief: I see some guys who have small towels in their back pockets, I recommend a handkerchief as it's much more gentlemanly

Breaks:
Pretty self explanitory

On another note: I find that Acrobat, while having a wonderful dance floor and being really close to my place, it gets really really hot in there and most of the time the doors are shut leaving 3-5 fans to cool a few hundred people.

While I think changing/bathing in the bathroom is strange, I find that from time to time I have to rinse my face with cold water to cool down.
SalsaTO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Hats Reply with quote

The body can lose up to 30 % of its heat through the head. Wearing a hat may keep sweat from running down one's face, but it traps heat and will make it harder to cool down, and it could lead to heat exhaustion.

Acrobat has to keep the doors closed after 11:00pm as city bylaws prohibit noise from going on the street. The venue can get fined if someone complains or if they get caught. Look carefully, there are second floor apartments right across the street.

I've changed a shirt once or twice in my time. I lose about 2 kilos of water per hour when dancing. All that water has to go somewhere... I get soaked after one or two songs, but I wait until the washroom is empty before I strip out of my wet shirt.

Most salsa venues are not designed to dissipate the heat of hundreds of people literally running on the spot - think of how one moves in salsa. Cost of the equipment needed to move that heat out or to change the air in the venue five to ten times per hour is simply prohibitive.

Try beating the heat by going early, getting your dancing in when the venue is cool, then kicking back and socializing (shouting over the music) and sneak in an occasional dance. Or dance late, when most of them are gone and the place is starting to cool down...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: