Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salsa tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Salsa tips Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
As you all are probably young professionals, often it is difficult to make time for regular practice and to actually commit to the process of becoming better as a dancer. I think no matter who you speak to, they will all tell you that practice does in fact make perfect.

Here are a few tips:
1) consider salsa a lifestyle rather than a hobby. This doesn't mean you should quite your day time job, but it means that you will commit to it, as you commit to going to gym and brushing your teeth!

2) consider improvement as slow but steady process. Never take a move for granted. When you practice, practice only one move at a time until you build muscle memory. Once you are comfortable, move on to the next.

3) Enjoy it and leave it when it becomes stressful. If you feel it is overpowering your world, take a week or two off and I guarantee you will miss it and come back to it fresh and ready again. Loosing your motivation, is often a biproduct of any success story. Consider it a step towards getting better. Set backs, though frustrating, often make success far more sweeter!

Live, love , laugh and salsa,
Sara
Tracie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree! Also remember to be patient with yourself and give yourself some credit for making the commitment to lessons and for putting yourself out there on the social dance scene! Going to a club, outing or social for the first time can be intimidating...take a deep breath and remember that EVERYONE on that dance floor was a beginner at one point!

From a purely technical standpoint, your body builds good muscle memory for 1 or 2 levels below what you're currently learning at. So, if you're currently in Level 1, know that the average person doesn't start "feeling" the Level 1 moves in their body until well into Level 2.

That doesn't mean stop practicing Level 2 (or whatever level you're in) on a social level, it just means that know that it's totally normal for it to feel like a slow process, even if you're going out and practicing a couple of times a week outside of class time!

And, as usual, the only sure fire way to speed up your learning process is to (1) listen to a LOT of salsa music and (2) GET OUT THERE AND PRACTICE!!!!!!

Smile, and have fun!
eltigre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Tip question...all about timing... Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words as I found that only with hours of practice that the moves are becoming memory. I also find that writing the moves/combos down after I learn them helps me remember the fine details.

Question though: I like to be on the beat and I find that when I dance with advanced partners that they seem to be a bit behind the beat. Is this part of the overall finer styling of the dance? If you could put a length to the 'lag', would it be an eighth off? a sixteenth?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: