Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First day of your Salsa Class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: First day of your Salsa Class Reply with quote

Remember the first day of your salsa class? Was it scary, akward or just plain don't know what to think? Tell us your story. Very Happy
Toby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: First day of class Reply with quote

Yeh it was all of the above. I wasn't comfortable at all. I was regreting the decision to do salsa but the first class was meringue and it was so much fun. The rotations really helped getting to know everyone in the class. The moves weren't too hard and the instructor kept it very light and fun. Overall, it was definitely worth the first hesitations.
Evan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: First Day Of Class Reply with quote

I had already taken a salsa class before coming to Toronto Dance - my Level 1 class was with Sharon before doing Levels 2, 3 and 4 with Caryl. Compared to the other school I loved the amount of moves that she showed (went through 3 merengue moves while we didn't do any merengue in the other class) and how fun the class was.

I loved level 1 with Sharon and it got me hooked on salsa - all the way to Level 6 and beyond!
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first level 1 class was with Sharon at the Adelaide Club. I didn't know what to expect as I had no idea what salsa was, and to me, the dance floor was like Kryptonite to Superman. That night, all I could think of was "what the hell am I doing here?". But Sharon made learning salsa simple and fun. I just finished level 4 and I'm planning to complete all levels and more.
mokora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: My first time Reply with quote

Well let’s see…. Level 1 class.... hmmm …Okay here's my story. I figured I'd share my own experience in Toronto Dance Salsa.... Overall I think taking lessons at Toronto Dance is definitely a positive and worthwhile experience.

When I first took Level 1 salsa it was very awkward, I was always petrified of making mistakes and embarrassing myself. However, I soon realized that everyone was a beginner and everyone was learning and making mistakes… at the end of the day that cute girl in class wasn’t going to be anymore impressed with my moves. So naturally I use to do what most guys did... blame the girl!! Ha-ha! ... Sharon came up to me and gave me the "evil eye" looked at my moves and pointed out the mistakes with my basic footwork..... (I did apologize)… Pretty soon I was off to being a mean lean salsa dancin machine! ... Or so I thought...

When I went to my first outing as a Level 1, I was totally overwhelmed. Most people danced so much better than me, and I was totally afraid to even ask a girl to dance... and when I did many of the ladies would just snub or leave me in the middle of a dance. So I figured there were two options for me.

1) Just stay at level 1 and give up salsa and hide in a whole…. OR
2) Take level 2 and snub those women who left me in the middle of the dance floor.

So I took Toronto Dance Salsa level 2. I must say it helped a lot, and taught me some important turn patterns, checks etc... Definitely increasing my confidence in dancing at clubs and formed my first social network (and friends who also enjoyed salsa).

Despite continued difficulty in getting dances after Level 2, I did not give up and stuck it out with TO Dance Salsa. At the end of level 3, I was the "wow" of Level 2 women at the clubs and outings…

By the time I finished Level 4 and 5 at Toronto Dance I was totally addicted to Salsa. I would go out maybe one-two times a week (sometimes more). And you know those same girls who snubbed me? I still don't dance with them! Ha-ha!!... (even as they shuffle step beside me on the side of the dance floor). Smile You never know ladies!!

So I will give three pieces of advice to those guys who feel challenged or awkward after taking lessons in Level 1.

1) Stick with the program you WILL see results by level 3... It’s a slow process but an important process…. Sharon knows best!!
2) Go to outings they are so important in both improving your dancing skills, and improving your ability to enter the "salsa culture" (asking multiple partners to dance). However, outings should not replace regular visits to clubs on your own… where you interact with students from other dance schools and styles.
3) Attend lessons at the salsa clubs, Toronto Dance is your foundation but shouldn't be the only place where you learn new moves! Everyone has something to offer and salsa is a dynamic and evolving sport!

Those first baby steps at Level 1, Toronto Dance Salsa, definitely proved to be important foundations for this salsa junkie.

Good Luck … Salsa Newbies!
Sonnislav

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokora, reading that brought tears to my eyes... I wasn't alone! I had my first lady walk off in the middle of the dance recently... bummer really Sad ... I thought when you mention that you just started Salsa lessons, you are sort of declaring a waiver that some comb overs might get a little too close and sometimes a light step on the toes might occur and also the rhythm might be off a bit (or a lot Razz )... shesh it was trauma that I didn't anticipate since no one in level 1 class walked away (hmmm... maybe some wanted to... Razz ) Oh well I had to drown out the rest of the night with some sulking and lots of alcohol...

Although I think snubbing girls who once snubbed you might be holding onto negative chi which can cause indigestion, acne and even... *gasp*... hemorrhoids!!! Besides everyone deserves a second chance... cute and pretty girls deserve an extra chance on top of the 2nd chance! (In fact the general rule is for every positive adjective used to describe a girl / lady, another chance is allotted. That's why some can "get away with murder." Unfair huh? I know, I feel the same way whenever I check my lottery tickets...)

My little discourse ran off topic but I just wanted to mention my appreciation for Mokora's story. Gave me some hope. Thanks. Very Happy
David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone walks away from you in a middle of a dance without a valid reason. They don't deserve a chance in my opinion. No matter how hot/cute the person is. From the way I see it, they'll miss out when you become a decent dancer, there's enough people out there for you to dance with that will give you until the end of the song.
KT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's shine some female perspective to this situation...

I'm gonna start by saying snubbing, whether from a guy or a girl, whether a girl is cute or ugly, is equally wrong and inexcusable. In many ways, it violates of the positive and social atmosphere of the latin dance culture; when you say yes to dance with someone, you've made a commitment.... and to be frank, a 3 minute song isn't that long of a commitment...

That said, rejection is always hard and can be extremely discouraging (especially for beginners) because we internalize the rejection and make it personal instead of situational. I have been in many situations where I had to stop in the middle of a dance, because I was feeling too warm, or I needed a drink, or I've spinned into another couple and injuried myself (like the bruised collar bone I got from our outing last night). In most cases, it is situational and not personal towards my partner. Although, in some cases, guys should take the opportunity to reflect on the situation and see if there are things that they can improve on (ie. prevent your partner from spinning into other people or objects), however, it is by no means something that's solely a guy's fault.

Having someone walk away from you in the middle of a dance can be upsetting and confusing the same time. For that, I think the girl should have done a better job at excusing herself from the dance, than simply walking away. There are proper dance etiquettes and ways of leaving a dance without "snubbing" your partner.

http://www.torontodancesalsa.ca/articles/Salsa-Dancing-Etiquette.php

http://www3.sympatico.ca/chuan.chee/TorontoDance/topics/etiquette.html

A final thought... we've all had rejection at some point in our lives, whether you were the last one being picked for the baseball team or someone turned you down for a dance only to turn around and ask somebody else. It's unfortunate, but it happens... such is life. The only thing to do is move on. There are many dancers on the floor! Very Happy

Happy Dancing!
TwoLeftFeet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Some thoughts Reply with quote

Having taken some ballroom dance before (okay, so 1 yr of ballroom is more than some), I would say my first classes with Sharon in Level 1 at Northridge weren't overwhelming. This was mostly due to my having learned to lead in other forms of partner dancing beforehand. It was also due to the very easygoing nature of Sharon and of the helpers. I found the structured format easy to follow, and the partner rotation also helped out a lot with getting the steps and lead correct.

I convinced a couple of friends to take the Level 1 classes with me, just to get them to try a new thing. They stopped after Level 1 due to unknown reasons... I continued on and on and on... on to Level 6 infact! Gotta say lots of moves have been learned, if only I could remember them all... Thanks for the dips in level 6! love 'em dips, even if I can't use them all the time.

As for snubbing etc. I would prefer a girl just say no (with or without some flimsy excuse) if she doesn't want to dance with me. I can handle rejection, that's perfectly alright. I feel that if a girl doesn't actually want to dance, but says yes and then it's obvious in her body language while dancing that she didn't really want to dance, then that's not fair... However, I also think that if a girl says "let me finish this bottle of water and then we'll dance" (or something else to make you wait) and then while you're waiting on her and the current song to finish, she accepts a dance from someone else, she doesn't really deserve a second chance (at least not that night). I consider that kind of behaviour very rude. If this happens again in a future time, then I'd say that's a good reason for not dancing with that girl again, no matter how pretty/cute. I think courtesy is important in dancing (as it is in regular life) and attractiveness should not give people a free pass to behave rudely...

As for cutting the dance off after a song is finished or even in the middle of a dance, I personally prefer the girl to break it off with a "Thank you" or something nicely courteous. I've also done this to girls, but I always feel bad doing it, and would prefer if the girl stops me instead after a song or two. I don't know what other people think about this? Should the onus be on the girl to stop the dance? (with the exception of the girl or you getting injured)

There's my $0.02 [/i]
silverpontiacgrandam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Rejection/GIrl Doesn't Want to Dance Reply with quote

On November 24/2006 outing at Plaza Flamingo, I asked a girl to dance and she said yes. We were dancing for a bit when she started to seem uncomfortable. I asked her if she wanted to stop (no problem with that), but she said that she wanted to continue. Then she pulls away all of a sudden, tells me "hold on", and grabs one of her female friends to dance with me. I asked her friend if she really wants to dance, and she says "yes". After about 30 seconds, she looks uncomfortable. I asked her if she wanted to stop. She wanted to stop.

I grabbed someone else to dance with, finshed the song, and danced for anotherr song with her (had a great time).

The point to this story is if the girl doesn't want to dance, just say no! Don't say yes to be "polite", and then run off and have your friend replace who (who clearly didn't want to dance). Clearly, what she did was not polite to me or her friend.

My 2 cents...

Jason
Valentin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: First steps Reply with quote

It was just 2 months ago, so the memory is still fresh Smile My first class went just fine with Sharon and her partner Gina, they taught us the basics of Bachata and Merengue and it didn't seem too complicated. It was so fun and exciting as I really thought it's a good way to enjoy an evening hour after a hard day at work.

Then in the 3rd lesson Sharon taught us the basic steps of Salsa, but it wasn't difficult because I already knew some of them from the 1st outing at El Rancho where Sara and Farnoosh showed us a simple pattern. Well, that pattern wasn't simple for me back then, but in the end - thanks to the helpers Smile - I got it and then I've practiced it for another hour after the lesson, even though I was rejected 3 times in that evening Very Happy
Yeah, it's a bit off topic indeed, but I think rejection is a part of every beginner's experience; maybe even the more experienced dancers get rejected, because there really can be many reasons for rejecting. I'd say, only those who don't ask someone to dance don't get rejected Smile
At least for TDS' outings it's not bad at all, because you know there are many people from the same school there, and they want to dance and practice.

Good luck & have fun Smile
Valentin
kennym

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I took lessons at Torontodancesalsa, I only had the experience of the 'one beginner' salsa lesson that one of the clubs here in town offers 8:30 to 9:30.
So I just learned basic, back breaks, and girl turn over and over every week. Razz I guess that's why I joined Toronto Salsa to learn more.

When I first started I found rejection to be really scary. My first few attempts at going to salsa clubs usually had me getting a couple 'no's' at the beginning of the night, I'd get depressed and wonder why I ever came, I'd leave and make it almost all the way across the parking lot, I'd say "ah, screw it" come all the way back inside. For some reason things would actually go well after that and I'd meet a new friend who I'd dance with most of the night, or a group of complete strangers who I'd even hang out with afterward.
Must have perplexed the bouncers though.

Probably half the numbers on my cellphone are friends who I met at a salsa club... so it's been awesome.

I went on the halloween outting and had such a good time that I totally lost track of it... time that is. I caught the last subway that night and *almost* made it back to union station before the last train left.
The doors locked behind me and the lights went off... I got trapped in the train station. A security guard (who at first thought I broke in) had to let me out.
I spent most of the night wandering the downtown core among crowds of costumed people trying to find a place to stay.
Eventually I just rode out the rest of the night in a 24-hour coffee time and left when the go-trains started running again. Kind of a scary experience, but I had such a good time at plaza that I have absolutely no regrets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: