Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TDS 2009 - Salsa Competition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ns2008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: TDS 2009 - Salsa Competition Reply with quote

What is required to participate in the 2009 TDS competition? How do you qualify? When will it be held this year? What are the rules/restrictions?
SHC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: 2009 competition Reply with quote

To participate in the competition, you must be current Toronto Dance Salsa students in level 3 or up and/or helpers enrolled or helping in the current semester. The list of rules and qualification is listed on the "salsa competition" page on the website.

I won't be able to tell you when it will be held this year, Sharon will have a better idea. But I can tell you the rules stayed pretty much the same for the last 2 years. Feel free to read the list and get an idea what's the rules and qualification is like for the TDS competition.

Hope you will be one for the contestants in the upcoming competition Smile It will be a great experience!

Stella
velina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the competition....Sharon, is there going to be one this year?
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the Sunday Social this past weekend..DJ Evan announced the 2009 TDS Salsa Competition will be happening this year in the spring time. Dates to follow soon!

Start thinking about the competition and possible asking others if they would love to experience something new and exciting!

Full details will be posted soon.

Mark
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: TDS Amateur Salsa Competition 2009 Reply with quote

Are you Ready for the TDS 3rd Annual Amateur Salsa Competition?

The time has come to battle it out on the dance floor for the champion title at our third annual Toronto Dance Salsa Amateur Competition. Last year we had some amazing couples compete for some serious loot and the results were fantastic!

If you are a level 3 and up current student or helper who has not been paid to teach your own salsa class or perform, then you qualify! Don't get discouraged that you are still in the learning phase - everyone else will be in that phase also and remember that a competition will increase your confidence, showmanship and skills tenfold.

The preliminaries are freestyle which means you do not have to choreograph the performance as you won't know the song you are performing to although you can practice together, decide on how you will enter and exit, and what dips and tricks you will add to the dance, etc. To assist you Evan Carmichael has offered a free private lesson to each couple who enters the competition to assist them in preparation! Five couples will move on to the finals where the finalists will choreograph a 2.5 minute routine to their song choice.

We are also looking for companies who would like to sponsor the event. Gift certificates, dance shoes, music, travel vouchers, congress passes, lessons, cash prizes, restaurant certificates and much more are needed - please let us know if you can sponsor a prize or collect prizes.

More details can be found on our website. Please email us if you are interested in participating in the event at info@torontodancesalsa.ca!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
SHC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... the competition is ON ... if you are interested, start looking for dance partner ... never have to much time to prepare/practice. Sign up early and take advantage of the free private lesson from Evan. Smile

Stella
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon, are there any firm dates yet?
Any tentative dates?
I know a couple of people would like to participate, but are held back by potential scheduling conflicts with pending business...
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still waiting on Six Degrees to get back to us. I promise to post the dates here as soon as we get them but we are looking at end of April for the preliminaries and mid June for finals.

Hope you can all participate. We need about 10 couples!
WF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny & I have officially submitted our names for the competition! Wink We've been riding on a performance high from being in the TDS performance group. We're taking one for the team! (Unless James and Phoebe enter as a couple...then we're in trouble....LOL!!!!!! Stella & Mark will know what I'm talking about.)
SHC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,

Yeah I heard you and Manny entered for the competition this year. Manny broke the news last night at Caryl's class. We are so excited for you both. I can't wait to see you both compete on stage! You will do great!!

Hmmmm ... should I persuade James and Phoebe to enter???? Wink and yes ...I know what you are talking about LOL!

Stella
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Competition Dates Confirmed! Reply with quote

Ok I promised I would post the dates as soon as I got them and we just returned from Six Degrees so here they are:

Preliminaries: Sunday April 26th, 2009 at 7pm
Finals: Sunday May 31st, 2009 at 7pm

Both dates are confirmed for Six Degrees Nightclub at Yonge & Eglinton. We are looking for 10 couples to compete so get me your registration emails this week to confirm your spot!

If anyone would like to assist with coordinating the event, let me know!
Sharon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Competition Update Reply with quote

Wow I am so excited that the 9th couple has just registered for the competition! This is going to be a fun, exciting year and I can't wait to see what the competitors have in store. We will accept one more couple so if you are interested let me know soon.

Keep Sunday April 26th at 7pm open for the preliminaries and Sunday May 31st open for the finals. If there is anyone that can donate prizes for the competition let us know!
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

Thank you to all the prizes that have been donated so far for the competition. We are still looking for some small prizes for our competitors. If you work in a restaurant or retail outlet and can provide some small gift certificates it would be great.

Let me know!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Gang..Less than a week to go till the opening night of the TDS 2009 Salsa Competition. Good luck to all the participants!!!!

To all the people going...these performers on stage need our fullest support..We need to bring our loudest cheers and hardest clapssss. Take lots of pictures and don't forget to aproach anyone in the competition and let them know that they were great on stage.

See you all soon

Mark
vorada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: It was super outing last night. Reply with quote

All competition couples were dancing awesome
and all deserve the best scores for sure.
I enjoyed it a lot and can not wait till the finals

Oscar's little salseros were soo cute ... as always
Not mentioning the social dancing part a lot of fun.

Thanks Sharon and Gang for organizing such a nice event
Very Happy

Rada V.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: