Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workshop Suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Workshop Suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

We had a few great workshops in December and are looking forward to providing many more workshop opportunities for 2009. Our first workshop will be for Bachata with Alicia and Jessie from United Salsaeros with the date to be announced shortly.

Do you have any other ideas of workshops you would like to see offered in 2009?

Let me know as we are taking requests!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Miroslav

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, Sharon.

I love Bachata and I am looking forward to it.

Because of Cha Cha Cha workshop I got interested in On2 Salsa.

So what about a workshop:

How to transfer On1 patterns to On2...

Thanks,
Miroslav
LAG5499

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon!

I'd love it if a workshop on coca-colas and spins were offered!

Another topic is musicality. .. how to find the very elusive 1 in a song; I’ve been asking around and I’ve got different versions and advices, but nothing concrete… Beats, pulses and the 8 counts, they all mix together in songs through the congas, trumpets, singers, etc. Perhaps this topic is not enough to be offered in one ws, but it might be taught as part of another one. Actually, I was about to post a note asking for help on this…

good luck!
Leonardo
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Future On2 classes? Reply with quote

I noticed TDS already has a class 'on2', it would be great if it could be offered the next term at Empress. Anyone interested? Could we possibly fit it in the schedule if there is enough interest?
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a Salsa On2 workshop or even a full term of instruction, there has to be enough interest . Let TDS know that it would be an interesting experience to give the world of On2 dancing a try. Get some of your friends and fellow dancing colleagues a shout-out and tell us you are very interested.

Mark
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Salsa On 2 Workshop Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

We listened to your request and have now posted an Intro to Dancing Salsa ON 2 workshop on Saturday March 7th from 5:15 - 7:15pm at Empress. Open to those who have finished level 2 or with permission, this workshop is taught by Teddy Olaso from United Salseros and is $35 for students and $30 for helpers.

Here is a description:
This workshop will focus on introducing the proper fundamentals of dancing On2, covering proper footwork, musical pacing and timing. Musical tips will be given on how to feel the On2 beat much more effectively and how to enjoy it differently from dancing On1 so one understands the music better. Students will convert commonly used turn patterns On1 to On2 timing so they can focus more on the timing rather than the choreography. Since most On1 turn patterns were originally based on On2, transition will be easier and less complicated. However, an intermediate level turn pattern On2, along with styling (body isolations & hand movements) body movements that go with the accent, will also be introduced at the end of the class.

You can register online through your profile beginning today. We are still looking for one more workshop topic for April so get in your request soon!
vorada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Salsa on2 - I am in Reply with quote

Lately I noticed some guys are dancing on 2 - I am sure of that, because I have absolute hearing, but if I ask them- they say no.
Only one confessed Smile and another one asked me if I would like to dance on 2 -- I said "bring it ON"
Anyway.I have to discover this thing myself, plus - it's a great opportunity to be taught by famous Teddy
Thanks Sharon and gang Smile
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW: this was fast! Thank you, Sharon!

No doubt, finding your way in different timings and styles takes a knowhow and time (as any new skill, and a lot of time, when I think of a directionally challenged self), and doing so with comfort takes repetition, repetition, repe...OK, it's clear, I guess. But it is definitely worth it, as it takes you up the next level and expands your dancing world, so to say.

I thoroughly enjoyed Teddy Olaso's previous workshop and believe he's a great pick.
Which brings me to another 'point of order':

I've always beleived that Teddy enjoys good reputation, so IMHO, a choice of the adjective "infamous" might not exactly be the best in this context. I am sure Vorada (who is excited to be taught by Teddy, right?) didn't mean to use this word, in its most common dictionary definition (based on Random House Dictionary, 2006), which is:

1. having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.
2. deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable:
an infamous deed.
3. Law. a. deprived of certain rights as a citizen, as a consequence of conviction
of certain offences.
b. of or pertaining to offenses involving such deprivation.

Simply put, infamous means having an exceedingly bad reputation, notorious, while famous means widely known, renowned, and esteemed.
IMHO, I'd opt for 'renowned' instead.
Very Happy
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: One more workshop suggestion Reply with quote

One more workshop suggestion - Cha Cha Cha, next level, taking off where Teddy's previous Cha Cha Cha workshop ended.
vorada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure I didn't mean it, lol
It was a typo Smile (how embarrassing Embarassed)
can someone fix it, please?
thanks Smile

Rada V.
Miroslav

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: One more workshop suggestion Reply with quote

SalsaConvert wrote:
One more workshop suggestion - Cha Cha Cha, next level, taking off where Teddy's previous Cha Cha Cha workshop ended.

I second that.
Sharon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Ladies Styling/Conditioning Workshop Reply with quote

Hi Ladies!

Tracie is interested in teaching a Ladies Styling/Technique/Conditioning workshop on a Saturday in May at Empress.

It would be half body conditioning (for dancers) and half technique - styling, following skills, being aware of your body when you dance, isolations, spins and more. This would be for women only.

Let us know your feedback on a workshop like this!
Anny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Workshop Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,
I'd be interested. As long as it doesn't clash with my exam schedule.

Also are you planning to have another Bachata workshop in the near future? I couldn't come to the last one but would love to do it.

Anny
WF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Sharon! I'd definitely be up for it! Tracie is a terrific dancer, and it'd be a treat to see what kind of wisdom she can pass onto fellow female dancers. Her style is quite different from Caryl, who's also an amazing dancer and has been teaching styling for a long time at TDS. It would be interesting to see what different tips/techniques Tracie has to offer.

Winnie
Sara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Styling sounds good! Reply with quote

Hey Sharon,
I think it's a great idea! As I was leading Tracie last night at the outing, I can tell all leaders that they would be lucky to have a soft follow like her!
I think a lot of women would benefit both from her style with sex appeal, but also her softness and fast response! I don't need to talk about how great of a dancer she is, needless to say it is always a pleasure partnering up with her!

I know that many of my students have been watching her dance and have come to my classes and asked me who she is and how they can dance like her! A workshop with her would be an asset to TDS for sure.
Happy dancing!

Sara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: