Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZIO Supper Club uptown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: ZIO Supper Club uptown Reply with quote

Zio Supper Club started its Live Salsa Nights every Thursday this past November, where Brazilian Carnival and Grill used to be - in the small entertainment enclave at East Beaver Creek and Hwy 7 area - between Hwy 404 and Leslie.
The exact address is 160 York Blvd, Richmond Hill, phone (905) 881-9946

Live band Cafe Cubano starts somewhere between 9 and 10 p.m. depending on when the lesson is over (by Jocelyn and Kim of Soul2Sole, on the beginner side of the spectrum). It supposedly alternates with Clave Kings. DJ Gio (Giovanni Torres) completes the musical picture. IMHO, the music is good, a mix of salsa, merenge and bachata; there is sufficient room to dance a coca-cola without elbow punches, body checks and stiletto damage, which could likely (at least partly) be attributed to the fact that not many salsa folk know about its existence... Though, there is a lot of familiar faces already from the usual dance scene. The only drawback being that the floor is cement - but surprisingly quite danceable (with regular slippery shoes, though).
The club officially stays open till 3 a.m. but as the staff confessed, the best for dancing is between 10 and midnight.

Ladies are free, gentlemen are asked for $5 unless they reserve a dinner before 8 p.m.
I never ate a main course there, but tried several appetizers: crab cakes are OK - exactly what you expect of them, baby calamari are OK - the presentation is quite enticing and there was an unexpected (pleasant) surprise in bites of some additional stuff on the plate. Polenta cakes - I only tasted a small bit, so can't really say, there's three small cakes in some kind of a sauce with mushrooms and some sprinkled feta goat cheese. Beef skewers didn't reach me at all, and there was no soup (mushroom soup is touted as their specialty dish, he-he).

Here's the good news - until February 28, Zio (which, in fact, means "uncle" in Italian) offers a free appetizer per person per visit - see the link here http://www.ziosupperclub.com/pdf/Zio_OneFreeAppetizer.pdf

Another promo - valid between January 12 and 18, 2009 as a part of Winterlicious:
When you dine at Zio they will MATCH the food portion of your bill with Gift Certificates for your next visit. Which translates to eating this Thursday for half price... or eating now and then drinking next time for free - whatever makes you happy:)

Time will show if it survives to make a natural extension of Marlowe's Wednesdays, or even becomes its well deserved competition in the area. Let's for now hope for it to be one more place to enjoy SALSA!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going to Zio's now for the past few weeks. A fantastic place to go and dance! Even though the floor is cement, it has a painted and stained service and is easily danced on. With DJ Gio spinning great Salsa tunes you will definitly have a beautiful dancing experience.

Mark
SHC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Zio Reply with quote

hmmmm ... sound good ... haven't been to Zio yet .. perhaps I should check it out ... anyone else?

S
MissChievous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, I will definitely check this place out. Not sure about this Thursday (Jan 22) but next one looks more promising.

MC
velina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to check it out. Let me know when you are going.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang...!

On January 29th, Zio's will be having a "Grand Opening" party. I can not confirm that they will have the live band playing that night, but for sure DJ Gio will be spinning fantastic Salsa and ChaCha!!

I will also be performing that night with my Dance Team..LOS SALSOMANOS!! As of right now, I am not to sure who else will be performing that night or not. So if you have a free night, next week, come and check out Zio's
SHC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ... didn't know Jan 29th is the grand opening party and Los salsomanos will be performing that evening ... I heard IFS performance class will be performing that night as well ... too bad I won't be in town that week ... would be a nice night to check it out for the first time!

S
vorada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: ZIO's Thirsday Reply with quote

I like ZIO's too Smile
Great dancers,a lot of space, close to home
and almost weekend Smile - it finishes Friday morning)
what else to wish
I hope they will be doing good

Rada V.

PS. OOO and one more thing -- cheap Corona Smile
blackout1999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Zio Reply with quote

What's the deal, salsa people? Zio is an excellent place to go to on Thursdays. The dance floor is great, the music is great, and coronas and tequila are $3. The Salsa GGGs will be there on Thursday January 29 to witness the grand opening and I urge anyone and everyone to come out. I don't have all the details yet but I will pass it along once I get them. Holla back at ya boy!
salsadoptada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how was the opening?
SHC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: zio Reply with quote

Don't know what's the opening is like ... as I was on vacation Smile

I did check it out the week before and quite enjoy it ... though I don't recall paying $3 for corona ... or free cover ... am I missing something?? or perhaps I don't look like a lady LOL? ... I pay more than $3 for Corona and $5 for cover. Nevertheless I did enjoy the atmosphere there and will definitely be back again!

Stella
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, they now charge everybody 5 bucks, otherwise, they won't be able to survive. It is still worth it... and to give it another thought - a gender equality in action Smile

The opening was mucho fun indeed!
Soul2Sole's and Los Salsomanos' performances were really enjoyable, and our own Mark deserves a loud cheer for performing with gusto in a semi-pro team. KUDOS, Mark!

I have noticed a lot of filming going around, but could not find any pictures or clips of these performances posted anywhere. Which is kinda strange - to keep it to yourself???
Here's my challenge - whoever is the first to post the recorded performances (at least one minute duration), or the link to them, here, until midnight February 5th - i.e. this coming Thursday - gets a prize - a box of chocolates, which he/she would be able to pick up at the next TDS social. How about that?

Waiting for the 'visual' and thus not commenting on enjoyable choreography, some funky moves and other dance stuff what really gets me is that it is not only talent, skills, inspiration that keep these guys and gals shining on stage, it is an incredible level of commitment - to put together choreography, drill each move again and again until you possibly wake in the middle of the night and could go with the whole routine with a happy smile, to go out and practice when the body aches, there is so many other things to do, when a favourite TV show is on and the snow whirles outside... even to sew their own costumes...well, you get the picture. Hats off, everybody! They deserve it.
vorada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Zio Reply with quote

SalsaConvert
You have a gift to describe all these things Smile
It's very hard to add anything to it Smile
It was really nice

Rada V.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Dancing Venues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: