Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet Your Helpers!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Meet Your Helpers! Reply with quote

Hey Salseras and Salseros!

So, I bet some of you were wondering in the beginning of the semester, “Who are these people, walking around with a name tag, and coming around giving you suggestions on how to improve your moves?” Well, we are Toronto Dance Salsa helpers! Most of us are senior TDS students, who have a love for salsa, and a passion to help pass on the art!

How did we get started?

As you might have already read from some of the TDS bios, everybody’s got a different story about how they started their salsa journey. Mine started off as a New Year’s resolution to become more active, so I signed up for a Latin Beginners class @ York U. After the first class, I was hooked. Soon, I started attending salsa nights @ York, and going out to local salsa clubs. Seeing advanced dancers dance was intimidating at first, but I was inspired the same time and was determined to one day dance as well as those advanced dancers. I decided to attend regular classes to learn salsa, and joined Toronto Dance Salsa in Spring 2006. I am far from knowing everything I’d like to know about salsa. My next goals are learning styling techniques and different dance styles. Of course, in salsa terminology, one “basic” step at a time Very Happy

I’ve been a TDS helper since Fall 2006, and have enjoyed myself immensely.

Looking forward to another great semester!
See you on the dance floor!

Katie
Evan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Meet Your Helpers Reply with quote

Name: Evan

Began Salsa: Late 2005

Current Level: 6

Helper Days: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and sometimes Sunday with Sharon

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I loved how fun the classes were and the new moves that we learned each week!

Favourite Shoe: Up in the air... I haven't found one I love yet

Favourite Club: Babaluu on a Wednesday, El Rancho on a Friday

Favourite TV Show: So You Think You Can Dance

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sushi!
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Evan!

Name: Kimberly

Began Salsa: Summer 2005

Current Level: 6

Helper Days: Fridays 6:30-9:30 with Sharon

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I liked Sharon's teaching style, and also liked the sense of community among the students and helpers with all the outtings and activities!

Favourite Shoe: I like the Bloch speed factor dance sneakers...but i bought the pink ones and they got dirty pretty quickly. I will get the black ones next time.

Favourite Club: Babaluu on a Wednesday, Acrobat on a Friday

Favourite Drink at a club: I do not drink and salsa...too many spins! bring on the WATER!

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sushi and then go to a salsa club!

Favourite salsa song: Desparecido by Manu Chao and Represent Cuba by Orishas
Sara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Meet your helpers Reply with quote

Name: Sara

Began Salsa: January 2006

Currently level: 5

Helper Days: Wednesdays 7:45-9:45 (Northbridge)
Fridays 6:30-9:30 (Adelaide)

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I needed a balance for school, something fun, something social, something active...Toronto Dance was all of those

Favourite Shoe: For clubs- Dancewear 1.5inch gold dance shoes
For practice/classes- Bloch speed factor dance sneakers (Black)

Favourite Club: Babaluu on a Wednesday, Acrobat on a Friday

Favourite Drink at a club: WATER, Avg: 2 bottles a night (probably should have more!)

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sushi and then go to a salsa club! (Right there with ya Kim!)

Favourite salsa song: Vailo la Pena, Mark Anthony (just cause it was my first favourite, there are many many many of them!)

See you all on the dance floor!
Sara
KT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Katie

Helper Days: Mondays (Eastminster Church) and Fridays (Adelaide Club)

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I liked the social atmosphere of the classes. Sharon's syllabus is easy to follow and each class builds on the skills learned in the previous class, so you will always be prepared for the new material but also be challanged the same time. The group outings every other week are awesome! Most dance schools will only have 1 group outing at the end of the semester.

Favourite Shoe: Bloch jazz slippers. Although, I would like to try the Speed Factor sneakers because you can wear those outdoors and not have to bring change of shoes!

Favourite Club: Most clubs where we have our group outings, Babaluu Weds or Thurs, El Rancho Fridays

Favourite Drink at a club: lol mostly water... alcohol makes me hot and lose coordination on the dance floor... generally 1 drink max... Smirnoff Ice, anyone?

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sushi and then go to a salsa club! (Looks like we've all got the sushi memo)... Oh, and a nice bath to soak those aching muscles after!

Favourite Dance movie: Dirty Dancing

Favourite TV show: Dancing with the Stars

Favourite salsa songs: Solo Quiereme (Bachata), Ven Tu (Bachata), Suavemente (Merengue), Micaela (Salsa), Ven Bailalo (Reggaeton)

Happy Dancing! Very Happy

Last edited by KT on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: David

Began Salsa: On1 March 2006, On2 August 2006

Currently level: 3

On1/On2: I prefer to dance On2 (ifreestyle.ca)

Helper Days: Wednesday and Fridays (Adelaide Club Level 1&2s)

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: First link on the google search, honestly. Turns out I lucked out, the atmosphere at TDS is very nice for an intro to salsa. The biweekly outtings is a huge plus, no other place seems to offer this as well.

Favourite Shoe: I should honestly get some dance shoes, but my running shoes seem fine for the time being Razz

Favourite Club: Acrobat

Favourite Drink at a club: H2O

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sleep on the subway when heading home.

Favourite Dance movie: Shall we dance (original japanese version, not the US one)

Favourite TV show: Lost

Favourite salsa songs: Lalo Rodriguez - Ven Devorame Otra Vez, Tony Vega - Aparentemente
AnthonyF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Anthony

Began Salsa: Spring 2006

Current Level: 4

Helper Days: Wednesday (Northridge) and Fridays (Adelaide)

Why I chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I wanted to break out of my daily routine (work -> home -> work ->home). After finishing level 1, I was hooked on Salsa.... Smile

Favourite Drink at a club: Water (if i'll be driving after), Smirnoff Vodka (if I'm taking the subway home lol). Very Happy

Best Thing To Do After Class: I usually go home after class.... but if anyone's up for sushi, I'm game....

Favourite Salsa Song: Do you only wanna Dance (Julio Daivel Big Band), Represent Cuba (Orishas)
Ting

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Ting

Began Salsa: June 2005

Helper Days: Sundays @ Northridge

How I started Salsa: My brother took me to Babaluu back in May 2005, and I looked quite the fool because I didn't know any moves or even the basics! I saw all the couples on the dance floor and vowed to myself that one day I would be at their level...so starts my journey with Toronto Dance Salsa.

Favourite Shoe: Speed Factors - truly a lifesaver for those multi-spins

Favourite Club: not decided, pretty much anywhere the ppl are fun and the music is good

Favourite Drink at a club: On salsa nights, WATER! On weekends or any other days, vokda martinis Laughing

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sushi!

Favourite salsa song: I don't really know names of salsa songs, but I do have a fav latin band. It's called La Esperanza, and if you can find it, you will love it.

Sidenote: I am very thankful that I started salsa with Toronto Dance Salsa, not only does Sharon provide excellent instructions, my fellow helpers are all very amiable and fun to be with. Thanks everyone!
burakgeyik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Burak

Began Salsa: 2004

Current level: 6

Helper Days:THUs @ Northridge

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I liked the family like environment, friends and Sharon's and Carol's step by step, easy to understand teaching style.

Favourite Clubs: Plaza Flamingo and El Rancho

Favourite Drink at a club: Water

Best Thing To Do After Class: Meeting with friends

Favourite Dance movie: I like watching all dance movies.

Favourite TV Show: You think you can dance! I LOVE IT!!

Favourite songs: Salsa(Valio la pena), Reggaetton(Donda esta al amor), Reggaetton(La noche es tuya)
EmT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Emely Faith
Why I started: I worked too much at some point so I needed a diversion
Why TDS: my sister was already taking classes here
Why I'm still here: 'coz I love it and live it, TDS is FAMILIA (it's just strange not having salsa around Shocked
If you wanna see me help out: WedL1@NR, SunL1,2,3@NR
If you wanna get me a drink Wink : water and cranberry juice would be great Laughing
If you wanna see me after salsa: as long as there's food involved
Laughing
Favourite TV show: HOUSE
Favourite dance floor: Babaluu (but it gets really crowded sometimes)
Robbiehsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Rob

Began Salsa: January 2005

Helper Days: Fridays 7:30-9:30 (Adelaide)

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I was dragged to classes by a friend, and I never looked back. I'm addicted.

Favourite Shoe: For clubs- anything with leather soles
For practice/classes- I love any jazz shoes

Favourite Club: Babaluu on Tuesday or Wednesday, Acrobat on a Friday

Favourite Drink at a club: I love a cold Corona when dancing, not more than 2 though, it throws your timing off.

Best Thing To Do After Class: Just to be around my dear friends, then go dance our face off.

See you all soon on the dance floor
Rob
Ildi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Ildi

Currently level: 4

Helper Days: Mondays and Fridays

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: randomly happened the website when avoiding studying!

Favourite Club: Babaluu on Tuesday or Wednesday, Acrobat on a Friday

Favourite Drink at a club: pineapple juice!

Best Thing To Do After Class: sushi and a salsa club!
Toby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Sushi addicts Reply with quote

Looks like everyone is a sushi addict. I think you should open a sushi/salsa bar!
Vincenzo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Vince

Level: 6

Helper Days: Wednesdays 7:45-9:45, Fridays 7:30-9:30 with Sharon

Why I Chose Toronto Dance Salsa: I took a ballroom dance class with Toronto Dance before. In the process of searching for information for level 2 ballroom, I discovered Salsa, and I thought I should give it a try. Now, I'm so addicted.

Favourite Shoe: Anything funky

Favourite Club: Babaluu on a Wednesday, Acrobat on a Friday, Toronto Salsa Practice (the church) on a Saturday

Favourite Drink at a club: Water, Heineken, Merlot, Malbec, Chardonnay

Favourite Sports: Basketball

Other hobby/interests: Watches, sunglasses, shoes (well, anything to do with fashion in general), movies, travelling

Best Thing To Do After Class: Sushi, Salsa, or Karaoke!

Favourite Salsa/Bachata song: She Was My Love by Aventura (Bachata), Corazon Arrepentido by Rey Ruiz

Last edited by Vincenzo on Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Helper profiles Reply with quote

This was a really great idea! We have about 12 new helpers so it would be great if you guys could post your profiles here too!
Toronto Salsa Lessons / Toronto Salsa Classes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Helpers' Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: