Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A formal gala event ... some thoughts ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Nock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: A formal gala event ... some thoughts ... Reply with quote

Some thoughts to ponder ...

Consider this:

A formal dance event ... at some amazingly great venue, like, say, Casa Loma. In fact, organize it as the first of what is to be an annual event.

Imagine: the ballroom, with the outside promenade and gardens ... on a warm summer afternoon/evening ... warm enough to require only light clothes, yet cool in the evening to be comfortable ... so, September-ish?

Yeah, it'd be quite expensive. But, then, it'd be something to look forward to all year; even worth sacrificing some other purchase for. Still affordable, though.

C'mon ladies ... you'd be planning your outfit all year! Sheesh. In fact, just the mention of it now has you thinking of what you'd wear ... hmmm? Can't tell me otherwise. A good excuse for a new pair of shoes.

It could be 'the event' of the city! Of the year! (During film fest? It'd be an event the celebs would want to partake in.) It could be organized as a charitable event. Best to make it elite, to make it the 'must attend' attraction. The potential is so great that the real challenge would be to maintain it as a dancing event for the salsa (latin) dance crowd ... without becoming too snobbish with the glitteratti. In fact, it may become an 'invite-only' in time, or at least increasingly 'reserved' from one year to the next.

This may be on a scale as to warrant a collaboration with other salsa dance companies (SalsaSteph and her crowd). And, perhaps broadened to include some Swing dancing, as well as Tango ... with, say, salsa (and bachata; merengue) comprising 85%, and the rest swing and Tango. Or something appropriate.

A full-sevice Dinner-Dance. With two (or more?) 'sets' of dancing: an afternoon of socializing with h'ordeurves and dancing ('light' swing, and salsa). Dinner with musical accompaniment followed by dancing. And, turning into more of a 'nightclub' scene later in the evening. One, or more, or all of the above options are possibilities.

At Casa Loma, evening dinner/dance events can utilize all of three available rooms ... so, there could be different 'character' with each; more intimate in the smaller room, for instance. Maybe a band in the largest space, the Conservatory, and dj_s in the smaller rooms. Whatever.

And when? Well, it should be planned to coincide with the Full Moon for dramatic celestial inspirations. Dancing ... romancing by the light of the moon in the gardens. Does it get any better? I think not. Guys, you can say things like: " ... Honey, the moon's glow pales by your radiance" ... heh, heh, heh  ... and it might even be believable. Though I doubt it, unless you have my debonaire charm Smile

How cool would that be? It'd be freakin' awesome!

It's totally doable (yes, that's a word). How much are you willing to spend for a fabulous event? $300? $500? C'mon, dinner in an upscale restaurant would be pushing that, and more. Maybe such an event could be done for less.

The 'thing' with Casa Loma, is that due to bi-law restrictions, all events must be over - with EVERYONE gone by 1am, sharp, with serious cash penalties for each 15min. late. So, instead of an evening ... late night event, it'd be best to consider an afternoon/evening to make it an early social instead of late night club scene.

Have a look:

Such an event may take the better part of a year to organize ... hint, hint.

Anyway, that's just me thinking ... and I could go on ...

Comments, questions ... ideas ... throw 'em around.

I've got serious writing work to do, and here I am writing about salsa dancing events.

~ D.

P.S. It'd probably be good to do a poll ... but I'm tired. Another time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, David...I am speechless. It sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is David's idea of a "light" brain-storming session Razz

He's radiating with thoughts and creativity, salsa is lucky to have him!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Formal Outing Reply with quote

Hey David / SK / Velina,

Would be nice to have an outing on a New Years Eve, I do not know about you guys but my last New Years was not very fun, outside walking the street in cold weather for hrs. Got sick after for almost 2 weeks.

The outing should have multi-rooms, at least 3 rooms. One room for salsa, (tango / latin ballroom) and the rest for (cha-cha, merengu, bachata, etc)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Who is going to make it happen? Reply with quote

What a great dream, and even better if somebody made it happen. Apart from Casa Loma, Plais Royale ( would be another appropriate venue. I wonder what happened to the times of grand social events? Doesn't anyone long for a reason to really dress up? People forget that a wedding is not the only occasion where a tuxedo can be worn. It is funny how men often expect women to be dressed up, yet do not realize that women like to see men in something other than jeans and a t-shirt. Uh-oh, I could be starting a whole different thread here; however, yes I think it would be great to have an event as described, the danger is in the cost of putting something like that together and whether there is enough of a market for such and up-scale event in Toronto to break-even let alone make enough to donate to a charity.

Dance like no one's watching.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred?? Are you like any woman's dream? A man who likes to dress up, gosh!
David Nock

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: First Follow-up ... Reply with quote

Okay, here we go with my first follow-up.

Firstly, Somchay, I'm sorry to say ... New Years, schmoo years ... I'm not big on the whoop-de-doo ... it's over-rated and silly expensive. Not pagan enough, either ... heh, heh, heh. Solstice, yes; equinox, sure. Full moons, you betcha. Season-specific, oh yeah! But new years .. it's a number; doesn't excite me. In fact, I'm more keen to get up early in the new year, than stay up late in the waning year. Am I lame? Maybe sometime I'll 'get' New Years. Any help? Suggestions?

Winter-time is best enjoyed with spontaneous events according to weather. It's inappropriate to plan in advance for winter-time since it may end up being even a light snow fall that creates traffic chaos ... never mind the blizzard of the year.

Spring-time is also out for the most part ... still cold, and people are busy (students with exams; teachers marking; everyone cleaning ... ). Except, maybe late spring. That'd be good. A major celebration before summer even begins ... it could work.

Summer ... is possible, but should be early summer before vacation time. So, July and August are probably not ideal since people are likely to be away.
That leaves June ...

Or, as previously mentioned, September or October. It mustn't conflict with the salsa congress that is held around these times. Perhaps after the salsa congress so people can show off their newly refined skills. Which leaves October ... third or fourth week. Thanksgiving, this year, is the third weekend ... a Full Moon (sort of) weekend ... but, that's the salsa congress. Bummer. That would've been perfect: the Harvest Moon Gala. C'mon, there's a theme ... showcasing fresh local food. Maybe get some high-profile chefs in on the action.

Sadly, that weekend is 'out' due to salsa congress.

So, later ... November ... before the season of crass consumerism - the holiday madness? That's getting close to the mayhem of family parties, workplace silliness. Although, it could be a great time to have fun before the various family obligations.

Or, earlier ... September is good ... maybe back to June?

Last weekend of May (the long weekend? People go away that weekend.)
First weekend of June.

Late October.
November. Thanksgiving weekend? Or avoid it?

Re: Alfred

Such an endeavour should be considered primarily as a business venture, with the charitable aspect as a bonus, if at all. At least for planning purposes. Can easily be made into a charitable event from a business-basis, but the reverse isn't true.

And, as a business venture, it must be considered on a longer time scale than simply the one event. Just breaking even, for the first event ... with minimal hassles and headaches, is reasonable.

However, it is appropriate to have a goal of profit. The real potential, though, is with the subsequent events in which the initial organizing work will provide the the on-going basis. And, assuming the first event is done superb (and it must be or it's not worth doing!), then, it'll generate it's own 'buzz' ... you couldn't stop it from gaining momentum. Think big. Be daring. Be bold. Think about it being so great that word gets out to New York and we host visitors from abroad. That is entirely in the realm of possibility. Indeed, that's the scale/scope such an event should be thought through.

Perhaps special 'bonuses' for the early/initial supporters/patrons: 'Founder's Club' with 'guaranteed' inclusion when it gets to the point of being an invitation-only event. Similarly, variable (sliding scale) promotions to encourage deposits in order to have cash on hand to organize.

Palais Royale is a good possibility. Except, it's more of a one-large-space kind of venue.

Dressing up? I totally agree, Alfred. And I do all the time, for the very reasons you mention. I figure it is only right to dress nicely when women routinely make such an effort.

Is there a market for such an event? A better question, is 'Can a market be made?' I say yes. There are people right now that would love it ... but don't know it; haven't even thought of it. It's all in the marketing ... create a video presentation, for instance, to 'show' events of past eras, and current ... and paint a picture of the facility as it will be: full of people; music; dining; etc.

Toronto is Canada's primary city. Shhhh, let's not upset the rest of the country. If it could happen anywhere in Canada, it'll be here. We're the Centre of the Universe, for heaven's sake. Have you forgotten?

Thanks Velina and SK for kind and encouraging words!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Salsa Get-Togethers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: