Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hurdles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Hurdles Reply with quote

About a month ago I had a lot of difficulty following certain leads in salsa, and found myself unable to enjoy social dancing. I sometimes felt nervous dancing, especially with someone new whose lead I was not familiar with. I tried to calm my nerves and inability to have any control over my partner's leads by trying to predict or anticipate what he was going to do. This only made the situation worse.

This problem led me to my best discovery in salsa so far - relaxing! I know, it's easier said than done, but relaxing and remembering to just have fun is the best thing that ever happened to my dancing. It made me so much easier to dance with, and best of all when I learned not to fight the lead but to submit to it, I found that I was able to play off my partner. Technique is important, but sometimes you just gotta remember why you started & that dancing plain and simple makes you happy (hopefully) Smile

Does anyone else have any stories about difficult obstacles they had to face & how they've managed to overcome them? I'd love to hear about it!
4feet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm SOOOO glad you found the light.... SALSA NERVANA!!!... I hope your dance card is empty 'cause I have been looking forward to dancing with YOU.

I am a 1st level student and keep mixing up MERENGUE, BACHATTA and SALSA beats so Sharon keeps telling me to "... not give up and keep trying...", so I have signed up for the 4th time!!! Hopefully my farsightedness and deathness in one ear won't make my leads to awkward for you to follow. Oh well, hopefully my glasses and hearing aid will help.

You would'nt know a cure for athletes foot would you.

Looking forward to seeing you at the SOCIAL this Sunday!!!! My mom is going to be so proud when I tell her this.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean, Sonya...
I sometimes forget how to follow properly when I haven't been out social dancing in a while.
But you're right. You need to breathe and relax, otherwise you tense up and you lose your concentration. Not to mention it takes the fun out of dancing when you're nervous.

WHen i get into my dancing groove, I get into this zone where I feel hyper-aware and sensitive to signals....open hands, flags, etc. IT also helps to spot your partner while you're turning so you can see signals easily.
velina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is so funny, but I have noticed that when I dance in a really dark club I find it more difficult to follow. I don't wear my glasses when I go out and when it is dark I sometimes happen to not see the flag:-). It is really funny because if it is not in front of my face I would miss it and my partner would give me a weird look like:"i can't believe you did not see that" but I can't really say" sorry, i am not wearing my glasses:-)" Plaze Flamingo is usually a place where I have had a couple of these experiences.
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SAME problem dancing in the dark too! I become a LOT more reserved and a little scared to do some more complicated moves becuase I can't see the floor, and I miss a lot of flags. This is ironic becuase night clubs are supposed to be dark. Most salsa clubs have okay lighting such as Acrobat and Babaluu's and Peridot. But Plaza Flamingo is too dark, and they have some flashing lights going on at times which is way too distracting!
velina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I feel so much better that I am not alone on this. The disco ball kills me there. I get the most ridiculous headache from it. Even a simple right turn can feel like a triple if I happen to be in the "disco" zone Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: