Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1 hr vs 2 hr classes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heli88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: 1 hr vs 2 hr classes Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering as a beginner whether to take 1 hour or 2 hour classes. Can someone comment on their experience and opinion?

Thanks
SalsaConvert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends upon your attention span Smile
If you don't have any previous experience - unless you try, you won't know for sure. You have to start somewhere to adjust yourself accordingly at the next level, or even repeat the same level twice (maybe in different format).
IMHO, either way you could move ahead only complementing each class with weekly practice (minimum), attending every outing and going out on your own when there is none.
So, join the company and enjoy dancing Smile
velina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: 1hr vs 2hr Reply with quote

I absolutely agree. It depends on how much information you can and/or wish to absorb. Regardless of the class format, though, it is imporatant to practice between classes to build confidence in the moves and to allow your body to remember them.

I think that it also depends on your schedule. Often students miss one or two one hour classes during the nine weeks of instruction. In some cases, they find it difficult to catch up especially if they did not arrange for a make up session. The two hour classes span for only four weeks and they are easier to incorporate in one's busy schedule.

Enjoy! We will see you on the dance floor.
SHC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would suggest a 1 hr class for beginner, but then again like everyone said it is all depend on the individual's absorption level and schedule. I have taken 2 hours classes before (and love it), but it could be exhausting. If you know you can commit for the entire 4 week span and prepare for the amount of materials they cover in class, there is no reason why a beginner can't choose a 2 hours class option. Practice what you learn in class at outing and Sunday social would definitely help!!!

Stella
Kimberlita

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind the amount of material covered in one class. If you miss just one class, you will probably find yourself quite lost.
One one hand you will be able to accelerate your learning quite a lot by taking a condensed class, however you'll have to commit to practicing in between classes and NOT missing any classes.
If you take the one hour classes, it's a slower pace, but you might tend to retain the moves longer because you're practicing a little bit over a long period of time.

It all depends on your learning style, your schedule and your commitment level.
OpenBreak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed the 2hr level 1 and without exception everyone I spoke to agreed they would have preferred spreading it out into one hour blocks instead. Of course, None of us know what that would have been like, and some people may have simply been agreeing to be agreeable. Besides, we all passed so whatever difference there may be can't be all that critical.
vorada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Amazing tango teacher Reply with quote

We just went first time to tango level1 --2 hours last night
Wow, what can I say first-- the teacher !!!
He is amazing, so professional and yet very down to earth, with beautiful smile, makes you feel as a star –already Laughing
All his explanations, body movements, details of holding the partner were made very clear and understandable for any beginner.
So yes, wow
The only thing we noticed after 1h or so, that we got a bit tired (lol – we used for 1 hour lessons from level 2 to 4 + turnpatern styling))
Yet it became a bit crowdy bc ppl start moving around a lot and tango needs more space to perform
But it’s a part of learning process anyway and if partner (leader) feels how to do steps, he will avoid accidents and crashes. I hope Wink
Anyway by the end of the lesson I was sorry that it finished and we have only 3 times left – haha – not 8 as usually
Thanks Sharon, it was great idea with Tango in TDS as all your ideas Very Happy

Rada V.
Somchay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: One Hr Class vs. Two Hr Class Lessons Reply with quote

I think one hr is better, gives you one week to think about moves you just learned. I know in salsa class I get tired after the first hr. Adding more moves will make you forget the earlier teachings. Having fun during class lessons is important. If you are tired you will not be having fun during the class lessons.
heli88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I decided to try the 2 hr class based on what some of you said.

So I went to my first 2hr class yesterday. I had a really great time learning how to dance the merengue (I think thats what it was called) and definitely wouldn't have survived without the helpers. The instructor Velina was amazing with her partner and they made every moment so fluid that everything looked great. Furthermore, Velina had great high energy that made everyone want to dance.

In the end, I felt the 2hrs was just right and I would imagine that 1hr would feel extremely short at least for the first class.

I do want to give credit to all the helpers. Everyone of their tips really helped (eg, the house). I look forward to learning more in next week's class.
velina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: 1hr vs 2hr Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words, heli88. I also enjoy the two hour classes a lot!!!

There is a great vibe in the class. It is a lot more material that we cover at once but we all get into the salsa groove and the learning is very smooth. During the 15 minute practice after our first salsa class the students looked really great dancing and completing all the moves that they learned.

To all students that are wondering if they should take a 1hr or a 2hr class, consider your learning style and your schedule first. Regardless of which option you go with, you will have a great time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> Website / Classes Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: