Toronto Dance Salsa Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you think you can dance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my....I can't believe James Brown killed Will. I honestly was pretty shocked that Mark was safe because I did not think America would appreciate how different he is. I guess Will's attempt to show personality by borrowing someone else's backfired.
All in all, I was totally wrong about the boys, becuase my next choice for the bottom two was never going to be Twitch. He did act a little too emotional but I guess he was pretty confident that he had a great night last night.
In regards to Comfort...it has been her time for so long that I felt relieved that she was gone.
Who do you think will win this year? I am leaning towards Katee.

v.
Valentin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll keep whining for a long time about the format of the show. This elimination system, influenced mostly by the current week's performance clearly doesn't show the bigger picture of a dancer's talent and skills. Will was the best dancer of this season, but how can we prove it if they don' t mark individually every performance and make a total in the end? By individually I mean the performance of a dancer, not of a couple.

Anyways, I am happy that Comfort is gone. What annoyed me was actually her attitude - have you guys noticed her contempt towards ballet, jazz, and other styles, last night when she was talking about how she started to dance? Very limited and unprofessional.

Who's going to win? Katee or Chelsie. I'm leaning more towards Chelsie, I don' t know why Rolling Eyes Ah! I know why: she dances Salsa very well Wink
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really liked the James Brown routine! I thought it was really great how Will tried something new with each solo that he did, and I think it was really courageous of him to do that humorous piece. He wasn't borrowing someone else's personality it was just his way of expressing himself!

I don't think Comfort has a bad attitude either. It's pretty amazing what she gained from such little dance experience and I think she was just trying to put a little humour in her situation, because what else can she do. I think she was really respectful of the other dancers and their styles.

I think the reason that Twitch got so emotional was because it was between him and Will. They seem like they're good friends and I think as much as Twitch wants to remain on the show he also knows Will is a great dancer so it just put him in a bad position for the elimination.

I also thought that Will left the show with a lot of grace. He is not arrogant or condescending despite his great talent and abilities, and all he did in the end was encourage the other dancers. Anyways, like I said before winning isn't the most important thing. I'm sure he will make it in the dance world. Though, it is too bad that we won't see anymore of Will on the show Sad

...Twitch better be safe next week!
velina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Tonight Reply with quote

First, I cannot believe that it is almost over. My life will be so empty without the show Wink
And now for tonight...I absolutely loved four of the six routines. The remaining two were also good just not as amazing as the other four. So here it is:
Loved; the contemporary, the jazz, the hip hop, and the paso doble.
Liked: the waltz and the mambo
I feel like anyone but Joshua and Katee can go home tomorrow. I won't be surprised if it is Twitch and Chelsie although Courtney has been in the bottom and Chelsie has not. I am liking Mark a lot and it may be nice to have him in the finale.
Based on last week's elimination, we should be ready for anything.
Valentin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaa...anything can happen tomorrow. I too liked all the routines and I think Josh & Katee were so lucky to be partners again Smile Their performance tonight was great!

So, they said the next season will start next year. What takes them so long to produce a nine weeks show? Confused Anyway, how about SYTYCD Canada? Hopefully it will be on air this fall.
RMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: SYTYCD Canada & Dancing w/Stars Reply with quote

So You Think You Can Dance Canada and Dancing with the Stars will both premiere mid-September on CTV. Smile

Rose
velina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great. This is good news. More dance shows...
About tonight...I really wished Mark got a chance at the finale, but I guess Twitch is more popular. I expected Chelsie to go...so no surprise there...
Maybe it will be between Joshua and Katee on the finale.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great show tonight. I really liked how Nigel addressed the fact that some really good dancers such as Will left the show but that the top 4 really deserve to be there. I actually agree with him that they have all worked exceptionally hard and have gotten better and better. It's also good to see that Wade is back, I always enjoy his choreography. And great routine by Tabatha and Napoleon again, loved Courtney as the crazy girlfriend in the club!
velina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you in regards to Nigel's comments. I also did like the hip hop routine. Overall, however, I do not think that this was a great show. This is not to undermine the hard work that the dancers have put into it to make it happen but in comparisons to previous weeks, I found last night not to be as exciting. But then again, some of the routines this season have been so amazing that it is not that easy to create something more exceptional.
4feet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start what is art if not for inspiration and that is in the eye of the beholder. I am not here to judge individual motivations. As well, I do acknowledge that HIP HOP/STREET DANCE IS a viable expression of ones feelings/emotions and is MOST worthy of an art label.

Now, don’t get me wrong, TWITCH and JOSHUA are good dancers and are very deserved and talented artist, and I LOVED ALL of the Hip-Hop choreography, but ( at least in my VERY amateur opinion ) they are NO WILL or KATEE, or even COURTNEY. The beautiful lines exhibited by the later three ( this is unless you can be objective and admire the new re-definition of the word with the addition of the rawness of street dance… and I think you HAVE TO, I do ) were not matched in kind by the two males. Street dance HAS come a long way and to its credit DOES deserve the reverence…. BUT ONCE AND AGAIN COME ON AMERICA!!

I really wanted KATEE or WILL to win ( just wanted to be clear in case the point wasn’t ). Oh well, what is life without a little drama and, well …. DISAPOINTMENT!!!!

To their credit ( ALL THE STREET DANCERS ), the classically trained dancers did not execute the Hip-Hop routines ( thus you have to respect the rigor, training and devotion demanded by the practice/form ) quiet as HARD as the street dancers, and maybe I do have a biased against street dance ( but I really love watching, and with at times amazement ) as it relates to more modern or classical dance genres.

The result in my opinion, and obviously the rest of America, is based on the target audience and their preference for Hip-Hop and after all, it is the by product of American culture as a reflection. I wonder what the mirror image of Canada will be ( as it pertains to dance ) ? Are we REALLY distinct at such a finite level; my bet is that we are just an extension, the 52nd state. As well, I really wonder how we stack up, level/quality wise against the U.S. Hopefully it won’t be a re-play of the amateur hour that the Canadian Idol is to its American cousin. I’ll be watching.

By the way, good call Sharon!!!.. I would not believe it if not for the time stamp on your blog. You are truly in touch with a higher being Wink .
velina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good show tonight but no surprises at all. It is a popularity contest more than it is a dancing competition. There were some amazing routines this season that will be remembered. Sadly, I could not get tickets for the tour. This is the second year in a row that I have tried...unsuccessfully.
I am also looking forward to SYTYCD Canada. Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.
SKDanceLover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm yeah, it's interesting that Joshua won. I can't say that he didn't deserve it or that he isn't a good dancer because he's very talented, but I thought Twitch and Katie were both more refined and better at what they did. SYTYCD Canada should be interesting, I already got a bit of a preview at the auditions Wink I only saw a few really good dancers but we'll have to watch to find out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toronto Dance Salsa Forums Forum Index -> General Salsa Dance Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: